Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-21-2014, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So I havent updated in quite a while.....here goes

Iv'e got a lot of irons in the hotrod fire right now....

-I recently purchased some some Doug's headers from my buddy Bob on here {old66tiger} He's going LS, so I bought his Dougs to replace my low hanging, flattened out POS hooker super comps. If you're riding up in the air like its 1982....these are for you. They will be for sale cheap this winter FYI.

-Bob also found some 06' GTO seats at a local shop in WI for sale and got them for me at a good price. I'm looking forward to getting them in this fall. I really like the look of stock seats but they just aren't comfortable on long trips. They just arent. Even restuffed and restored, my wife was sore the next day after a 300+ mile cruise a few weekends ago. No sense in dealing with that so im moving on. If the 06' seats fit well, ill have them recovered to look like 67' seats and match the rest of the interior.

-Ive been measuring up for wheels and tires. I know what wheels/tires im going to run and this is where some of us are going to have to agree to disagree. Im going 18" wheels on my car. Im doing this because performance tires in 15" are almost non existant and the OEM has moved on, so have tire companies. I'll also need 18" wheels to clear my 13.4" Z51/LS1 rear brake conversion I already have for the car and it will put the icing on the cake for the chassis setup.

I decided on Billet specialty Mag G's. They keep the retro feel, theyre made 100% in America and I just love the old gray wheel look.....I found a shot of a sweet 67' with 18" Mag G's and it looks great!

Anyhow I ordered my tires. Nitto555 245/45/18 fronts and 265/50/18 rears. 26.7" front height and 28.4" rear height. So a little more tire height than the picture has and a more full wheel well.....just how I like it....

Ive been using the wheelrite tool {pictured below} I purchased a while back, to fit everything up. Im going to finish this project up then offer it up to rent for PY members for a small fee. Probably starting this fall/winter. The tool is stupid expensive and if I can recoupe a bit of the hit and help other members out by cutting them a nice deal, its a win for everyone IMO.

Well im picking up the headers and seats this Saturday so ill check back in with a few pics then....

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 08-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got my 06' GTO seats and Dougs headers from Bob {old66tiger} today. Very nice stuff. I'm thinking the seats might be going in soon. The headers will get redone either late fall or early spring.

I can already tell, just by looking, that the Dougs headers are going to hug the floor much higher up than the super comps. When I swap headers ill do a side by side picture and take measurements so we can put this to rest once and for all.

I'm going to test fit the GTO seats tomorrow and see how high up they sit compared to the Legendary Rallye stuff. One thing is for sure.....the 06' GTO seats are COZY! Thanks Bob!

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm also going to throw a little line out there for Bob {old66tiger} Iv'e bought from Bob twice and I keep in good email contact with him outside of here. Once I bought an entire RobbMc fuel system and just today, a set of Dougs headers and 06' GTO seats he found me in Madison....

{old66tiger} Bob is good stuff. When you buy from him, you can trust his descriptions are accurate and honest. You should buy with confidence and I think that's important when we are talking about the kind of money that gets tossed around on used hotrod parts.

Anyhow ....that is all

- Build Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old seat out....new seat sitting on the floor. I might get these installed this week. I really like the look. I thought I was going to have to tolerate it, but I actually like it a lot!

We have a really big local cruise in the next town over next Sunday night.....hopefully I can get them in by then!

- Build Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good look with those seats. Are you going to do the same treatment to the rear seat?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
Good look with those seats. Are you going to do the same treatment to the rear seat?
No intention to mess with the rears. I might see if there's a way to make the stockers more cozy but that would be it. If I do anything, I would have the fronts recovered to look 1967.

- Build Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the shout out Nick. Glad it all worked out. It didnt take you long to rip out the old seat and get the new ones in there. You must have got busy the minute you got home. I am impressed.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the 06' GTO seats in today. I'm extremely happy I did this. My maiden voyage with them was fantastic. Im honestly pissed at myself that I spent the $ trying to restore the stock seats with the Legendary Rallye setup at this point. I'm trying to decide if i'm going to sell them. I might let someone else have them at a good price instead of storing them for 20 years....

Anyhow the 06' GTO seats are awesome. They sit great, have 8 way power mobility and are about the same weight as stock seats. Anyone that says they "sit up too high" must have been 6'9" and had stock buckets with broken springs in the lower seat before. I'm 6'1" + a touch and I sit in them great. They are a touch lower than my newly stuffed stockers.

I did reuse my 3" seat relocation brackets I made for the stock buckets. I figured it would allow me to run the seats forward to fit me correctly and hide the bracketry I made. I used a couple pieces of 1/8" x 1.5" wide x 3.25" long steel for the front. I used 3/16" x 1.5" angle iron for the rears. I shaved the rear angle iron down to 1" so it would clear the floor and give max headroom. Then its 12v on the red wire and a ground on the black. The install is pretty easy and straight forward. I'm going to make a thread detailing what is needed to get it done and ill link it here. If you have tools and and know what to do it's probably like a 4-5 hour job.

Well here's a few pics from the day....

- Build Thread
Old 08-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice job Nick. They look great in there.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 AM

Nick:
Just did the AC delete kit on my 67 too. It's nice to retrain the AC dash function controls with this kit and still return to the stock AC setup under the hood at a later date if desired. Good looking job!!

Chemnick

Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnick View Post
Nick:
Just did the AC delete kit on my 67 too. It's nice to retrain the AC dash function controls with this kit and still return to the stock AC setup under the hood at a later date if desired. Good looking job!!

Chemnick
What are specifics on the ac delete kit?

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 09-01-2014, 12:46 PM

I would have to dig out the paperwork to be exact, but I believe the kit was for 64-67 GM A body cars. It came with the delete plates (fiberglass), blower wheel and motor, heater core, sealant and directions. If you want to keep your AC wiring (engine side) intact, you have to make a hole for the fan speed resistor and use it. then you have to plug off the vacuum lines that went to the vacuum chambers that are on the evaporator and fan ducts (engine side). The company was someplace in the Midwest I think.

Chemnick

Old 09-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those seats look really good. I have a friend with a 66 full custom build and he did the same thing. Even had the dash pad stitched to match the seats. The interior is all black and he did not put in the wood grain insert on the dash bezel. Looks great.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Those seats look really good. I have a friend with a 66 full custom build and he did the same thing. Even had the dash pad stitched to match the seats. The interior is all black and he did not put in the wood grain insert on the dash bezel. Looks great.
Thanks! If I do anything with the interior it will be to have a glossy vinyl looking stock style cover put on the seats but I doubt ill do anything to be honest....

So ive been thinking about what im going to do with the dash. I know im going to run Speedhut revolution series gauges. I'm going to do the same thing that Bob {old66tiger} did a few years back. That turned out awesome. Ive seen it on another 66 GTO dash on PT.com. It looked great too.

I don't care for the stock woodgrain though. I might just suck it up and go with a stock insert but I would really like to find a way to run a nice subtly colored insert in the stock dash. Maybe a smokey gray insert with a 2" flat black stripe running horizontally across it between the gauges? Maybe even a glossy black stock style walnut. Im just not sure how yet?? Anyone got any suggestions on how to do this or where to find an insert blank?

- Build Thread
Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
Thanks! If I do anything with the interior it will be to have a glossy vinyl looking stock style cover put on the seats but I doubt ill do anything to be honest....

So ive been thinking about what im going to do with the dash. I know im going to run Speedhut revolution series gauges. I'm going to do the same thing that Bob {old66tiger} did a few years back. That turned out awesome. Ive seen it on another 66 GTO dash on PT.com. It looked great too.

I don't care for the stock woodgrain though. I might just suck it up and go with a stock insert but I would really like to find a way to run a nice subtly colored insert in the stock dash. Maybe a smokey gray insert with a 2" flat black stripe running horizontally across it between the gauges? Maybe even a glossy black stock style walnut. Im just not sure how yet?? Anyone got any suggestions on how to do this or where to find an insert blank?
I would just leave it blank like a Lemans. No frills.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't like the wood grain, I would do an insert, but either stain it really dark (almost black) or paint it flat or satin. I personally don't like the grainy texture of the plastic.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm going to do the same thing that Bob {old66tiger} did a few years back. That turned out awesome.
These turned out nice, but they take some careful fabrication work. I may even have the template I used around here somewhere. If i can find it, I will send it to you.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by old66tiger View Post
These turned out nice, but they take some careful fabrication work. I may even have the template I used around here somewhere. If i can find it, I will send it to you.
That would be great! It would probably save me a nice chunk of time!

- Build Thread
Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by old66tiger View Post
If you don't like the wood grain, I would do an insert, but either stain it really dark (almost black) or paint it flat or satin. I personally don't like the grainy texture of the plastic.
Tonight @ work I found a guy on ebay that sells a 67 real wood insert. I could stain it black and gloss finish it?

A few weeks ago I found a guy who was selling a plain aluminum one but I can't find it anymore??

- Build Thread
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Tonight @ work I found a guy on ebay that sells a 67 real wood insert. I could stain it black and gloss finish it?

A few weeks ago I found a guy who was selling a plain aluminum one but I can't find it anymore??
Whats the name of the company?