Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Lets talk about Brian's car. Little Jack said " we wont go there" i wanna know what the deal is on that? Bill brought it up so lets hear it..
... oh, i dont think they wanna' do that ... but maybe i'm wrong, but i would ask that if we go "there" that a new thread gets started for it ...

... we got driving directions and a date for a grudge race to agree on here Scott, please guys, lets focus on making this race happen, as we dont want to take the blame for all this talk not turning into an actual race ...

... ok, i'll bump it to $500 dollars ?? ... so c'mon Jack, quit dodging it already, you have agreed to the race, but we still gotta' nail down the place, the time, and the Money !!! ...

Old 09-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are right Bill that needs to be a thread in and of itself. But I will say for the record...I have no worries about speaking about it on an open forum. I'm not skeert..don't think someone else would feel the same way, but I could be wrong. You don't scare me with the whole "I don't think they wann' do that" statement. SMFH...

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

... and for all the other "Head War" BS, it amazes me how you guys keep starting threads, or going in other peoples threads making your BS statements, and then turn right around and blame us for it ??? ...

... how quiet were things after Norwalk ?? ... and then guess what ?? Capt' Jack starts another one, and look where it has ended up guys ?? But yet, it is the CV-1 guys fault ?? ... We didnt start this mess ...

... its very simple, if you guys that keep running your mouths, simply stop running your mouths, well then so will we ??? ... its not complicated ...

... Hedrick makes a great statement here, we can simply "Agree to DisAgree" ??? ...

... everyone knows your opinions, as well as ours ...

Last edited by twinturrbo406; 09-15-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69bird View Post
You are right Bill that needs to be a thread in and of itself. But I will say for the record...I have no worries about speaking about it on an open forum. I'm not skeert..don't think someone else would feel the same way, but I could be wrong. You don't scare me with the whole "I don't think they wann' do that" statement. SMFH...
... i wasn't trying to scare you Brian, i was just being honest, but if thats what you would like, then thats fine too ... i dont try to hide things, in fact i feel i was extremely honest with you during our conversations, and if you want all that opened up for a discussion, thats perfectly fine with me ... its your decision ...

... pardon my ignorance, but what is SMFH ? ... i'm not familiar with that one ...

Old 09-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that was the impression I got and several other people not even in my camp felt the same way that texted me after they read the post.

Could some things been better/changed with my set up...absolutely and I'm not afraid to take ownership of that. Should it do what it did multiple times...absolutely not.

SMFH= shaking my phucking head

Signing off for the evening. might check it out on my phone...my life doesn't revolve around racing and this chit anymore...

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Suspended

Agreed, lets focus on the race and not others head issues or non issues what ever the case maybe...

Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well that was the impression I got and several other people not even in my camp felt the same way that texted me after they read the post.

Could some things been better/changed with my set up...absolutely and I'm not afraid to take ownership of that. Should it do what it did multiple times...absolutely not.

SMFH= shaking my phucking head

Signing off for the evening. might check it out on my phone...my life doesn't revolve around racing and this chit anymore...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Agreed, lets focus on the race and not others head issues or non issues what ever the case maybe...

... i agree 100% ... so now we can focus on the grudge race yes ?? ...

Date ??/??/20??
Time ??:??
Money ???

... lets do it already ...

Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
(Dino) 3380lbs = 9.17 "unported heads"

(Quinn) 2950lbs = 8.74 "Fusion Heads"

(McCarty) 3400+lbs = 9.6's "Marcella Heads" CV-1's on pumpgas

(Mighty T/A) 3380lbs = 8.13 "RaceShop CV-1's"

(Doc'sT/A) 4000+lbs = 9.4's "RaceShop CV-1's" on 5-7lbs of boost (1st test session)

(Bad69Bird) ---- lbs ? = 8.4's "UnPorted Heads" Blow-Thru & non-intercooled

... what part of this list looks slow to you ?? ... and the Mighty T/A's heads (at that time) provide the same level of performance as an Unported set of CV-1's do, as the little white Tempest of Arnies had the same RaceShop heads previously, and they ran the same et/mph as the current set of unported heads on the car do ...

I was testing some intakes and did not have time to put a tune on my car for the intake that I ended up running for the remainder of the race, I had a tune that would keep me consistant for the remainder of the runs that I had left, and ran the car within .002 the rest of the weekend. if it were not for a .001 redlight I would have gone another round or two on Sat. and I had that race covered by .04. that redlight sucked, considering the great lights I was cutting all weekend.

But on a side note, if a good race come to fruition, I would like to be a part of it, and will put up a Grand of my own money to any N/A non ported "E" head that can take my car to the stripe heads up, Must be a door car, and within a couple hundred pounds of 3400.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINO1 View Post
I was testing some intakes and did not have time to put a tune on my car for the intake that I ended up running for the remainder of the race, I had a tune that would keep me consistant for the remainder of the runs that I had left, and ran the car within .002 the rest of the weekend. if it were not for a .001 redlight I would have gone another round or two on Sat. and I had that race covered by .04. that redlight sucked, considering the great lights I was cutting all weekend.

But on a side note, if a good race come to fruition, I would like to be a part of it, and will put up a Grand of my own money to any N/A non ported "E" head that can take my car to the stripe heads up, Must be a door car, and within a couple hundred pounds of 3400.
Dino, I'd put up another $100 if there is a non ported e-headed N/A car out there that could beat you,by the end of the year!

Face it guys Roland Racing makes a high quality product. PERIOD! There is nothing wrong with the CV-1 cylinder head at all. The only thing that is wrong is a few people's opinions....
Thanks again Jim for giving Pontiac people another option for a cylinder head.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.82@159.91 in Joliet May 2024 ….157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lets add that the looser adds a $100 to every tenth they loose by. Just to keep it fair.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

By the nature of the beast, I don't think you'll find anyone trying to run quick with an un-ported E head. I wish Edelbrock would have given Pontiac a performance option (out of the box) but we were lucky back then just to have the head.

Dino, your car is flying!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to add I foot brake my car, no trans brake on it, I don't need that crutch. It only adds to the parts breakage. I have been racing for 30 plus years and have not had many problems through the years with broken parts. I'm an old school racer, and put my skills up against all the folks running boxes, and other means of of non skilled types of raceing. I have taken the the Box No Box race many times. Certainly won my fair share of them.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/st 54 View Post
Dino, I'd put up another $100 if there is a non ported e-headed N/A car out there that could beat you,by the end of the year!
Wait so you're saying the as cast 270 cfm 2.46" CSA E-Head can't run with the as cast 385 cfm 3.2" CSA CV-1 head in a 7000rpm 500"+ race application?

No way!!!!!!

This is seriously the most retarded "challenge" I've ever heard of.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Wait so you're saying the as cast 270 cfm 2.46" CSA E-Head can't run with the as cast 385 cfm 3.2" CSA CV-1 head in a 7000rpm 500"+ race application?

No way!!!!!!

This is seriously the most retarded "challenge" I've ever heard of.

... R70, not going to jump on you here, so please dont read it that way, but you have just made our point completely !! Which is great !! ...

... The CV-1 is a perfect way to get into that level of performance with an unported head and rocker arms, Dino usually shifts in the 6700-6800 rpm range, and with the CV-1 balanced valvetrain, this is easy ...

... the point is to compare what it takes to get an E-Head to run like Dino's car runs, or better in some cases ?? (yes) but, those are not the norm, and to get low 9's with a combo like Dino's makes a lot of sense for many people, as most just want to bolt stuff on and go ...

... and the quality of this head is unmatched by any, as well as the cooling capabilty also, and this is not a slam, i'm not saying that, but this is simply what you get with CV-1 cylinder heads ...

... and we are not lying to you guys either, Dino's car has run a best of 9.1 in decent to good air, this is not a bad thing, this is a great thing !!! ...

... and with "all things considered", the CV-1 is tough to beat ... but to agree with your point further, the CV-1 should not be compared to an unported E-Head, but there are many that still believe that the unported E-Head, or even a non-wide port, ported E-Head is a better head, which quite simply put, it is not ...

Old 09-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, I dont think you'll find anyone that says a completely untouch e-head will beat an untouched cv1. But once you port both of them do you still feel its as clear which head is better? How do you feel it compares to the HP head which is probably 50hp better than the e-head?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Bill, I dont think you'll find anyone that says a completely untouch e-head will beat an untouched cv1. But once you port both of them do you still feel its as clear which head is better? How do you feel it compares to the HP head which is probably 50hp better than the e-head?
... ok cool, at least we agree on that, thank you ... as for the ported E-Head, i still say the CV-1 is a better head, with all things considered, especially under boosted or N20 applications, Robin's car showed a HUGE improvement in head-gasket life vs his old combinations ... and his cooling temps were a lot less in driving situations also, so my statements obviously are taking many things into consideration ... but his car has got close to 175mph, and he really has to pull the tune back now to get the car to leave, power is not Robin's issue ...

... now once the porting reaches the level of WidePorts and HP's like yours, yes, i know where this part leads, we (cv-1 guys) have to take into consideration cars like Kinsler, even your car for example, both run very well obviously which are great examples, our best comparison to that level so far, would be Quinn's 484c.i. Fusion Headed 62' Cat, which has run a best of 8.7's, which i dont think he's fully reached its potential, considering the tranny is a little overkill, and the carburetion on that car, which i'm sure Marcella's sheet manifold would benefit greatly from a nice pair of 4150's, and maybe some smaller wheel stands too ( Larry ??) ...

... as far as power adder combo's, while those cars are still being refined, and that is not a shot at Hedrick in anyway, but i think the bulk of data so far shows the CV-1 has the advantage, as well it should i think, considering the CV-1's exceptional strength and rigidty at high temps, and better cooling, and i'm not trying to be a smart-butt here, just trying to answering the questions the best i can ...

... now once you raise the bar to the Langer, Rex, DDA72, Dixon, and Kinsler level, etc., ... obviously we are not there yet, do i think we can be, yes, but obviously we have to prove that, which will take time, am i saying the unported CV-1 will do that ?? NO !! but i dont see any harm in being positive about our program, so i'm trying to not come across as challenging, or disrespectful here, but that doesnt mean i dont have goals, but this is what the 72' Camaro is for, do i feel its the perfect car for the job ? No way !! But it's all i could afford, and that was with help mind you, and i am usually not one to take part in the " What will it make" threads, but the goal for the Camaro is to see how close we can get to that "Langer" type of performance, and that is not a shot at Langer either ...

... if we can get the CV-1 to that level of performance, or even close to it, then i feel with where the head is currently, as far as its unported performance, great quality, high flexibility, affordability, combined with what the new development (ReTool, RacePlates, 18 headbolts, etc) should add to the head, it should be the best bang for the buck cylinder head available ... especially considering ports like the CV-345 will be a simple CNC program upgrade ...

... and that is the best way i can explain it, hopefully this reads as a positive thing for anyone reading this ... we are simply trying to make a head that offers the most, for the least, in one platform ... and if we can pull that off, i think it will be one kick-butt little street/strip head IMO ...

... sorry for the bible Brian ...

Last edited by twinturrbo406; 09-16-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=slowbird;4732270]Bill, I dont think you'll find anyone that says a completely untouch e-head will beat an untouched cv1.Quote]

... i wanted to answer this seperately, but i bet 69Goat1 and DragnCar would put up one hell of a fight though, lol ...

... now that was a joke guys ...

Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
... ok cool, at least we agree on that, thank you ... as for the ported E-Head, i still say the CV-1 is a better head, with all things considered, especially under boosted or N20 applications, Robin's car showed a HUGE improvement in head-gasket life vs his old combinations ... and his cooling temps were a lot less in driving situations also, so my statements obviously are taking many things into consideration ... but his car has got close to 175mph, and he really has to pull the tune back now to get the car to leave, power is not Robin's issue ...

... now once the porting reaches the level of WidePorts and HP's like yours, yes, i know where this part leads, we (cv-1 guys) have to take into consideration cars like Kinsler, even your car for example, both run very well obviously which are great examples, our best comparison to that level so far, would be Quinn's 484c.i. Fusion Headed 62' Cat, which has run a best of 8.7's, which i dont think he's fully reached its potential, considering the tranny is a little overkill, and the carburetion on that car, which i'm sure Marcella's sheet manifold would benefit greatly from a nice pair of 4150's, and maybe some smaller wheel stands too ( Larry ??) ...

... as far as power adder combo's, while those cars are still being refined, and that is not a shot at Hedrick in anyway, but i think the bulk of data so far shows the CV-1 has the advantage, as well it should i think, considering the CV-1's exceptional strength and rigidty at high temps, and better cooling, and i'm not trying to be a smart-butt here, just trying to answering the questions the best i can ...

... now once you raise the bar to the Langer, Rex, DDA72, Dixon, and Kinsler level, etc., ... obviously we are not there yet, do i think we can be, yes, but obviously we have to prove that, which will take time, am i saying the unported CV-1 will do that ?? NO !! but i dont see any harm in being positive about our program, so i'm trying to not come across as challenging, or disrespectful here, but that doesnt mean i dont have goals, but this is what the 72' Camaro is for, do i feel its the perfect car for the job ? No way !! But it's all i could afford, and that was with help mind you, and i am usually not one to take part in the " What will it make" threads, but the goal for the Camaro is to see how close we can get to that "Langer" type of performance, and that is not a shot at Langer either ...

... if we can get the CV-1 to that level of performance, or even close to it, then i feel with where the head is currently, as far as its unported performance, great quality, high flexibility, affordability, combined with what the new development (ReTool, RacePlates, 18 headbolts, etc) should add to the head, it should be the best bang for the buck cylinder head available ... especially considering ports like the CV-345 will be a simple CNC program upgrade ...

... and that is the best way i can explain it, hopefully this reads as a positive thing for anyone reading this ... we are simply trying to make a head that offers the most, for the least, in one platform ... and if we can pull that off, i think it will be one kick-butt little street/strip head IMO ...

... sorry for the bible Brian ...
This may be the best post of the entire thread! Thank you Bill.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm421 View Post
This may be the best post of the entire thread! Thank you Bill.
X2

Pretty much lays out precise goals for the CV-1 head program in a logical, no bs manner
that most people could understand.

The deal is that the "Other Guys" WILL ALSO be developing their heads/ combinations so it may appear that all of your improvements to the CV-1 heads just kept you from falling back further in the pack.

I remember when a guy named Tony Seymore posted in one of Pete McCarthy's magazine articles that the best flow you could get out of a traditional Pontiac head was 265 cfm. Boy how times have changed once we got away from that type of thinking.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You sir are a "professional victim." If I took things to heart like you do with the amount of ball bustin that takes place in my camp, I'd be in therapy and/or commited to the rubber room. You could save yourself alot of heartache by using the ignore option that is available on this board. Just like what most parents' would say to their child when some is wrong, "Just ignore them and they will go away." BTW, I don't charge for the first therapy session so don't worry about sending me a check. LOL
X1000...who cares what Jack or anyone says on here (except for twinturbo406 and a few others).

Do you think racers hang on his every word when making a buying decision? You must think LilJack is the Dalai Lama of the Pontiac Racing World and you need his endorsement.

If you are going to use the Internet to advertise your product then that is fine, look to All Pontiac as an example...put up track results and let those speak for themselves. Or follow the example of Butler and KRE...stay off the internet, build company and customer cars that put up the number and ignore the naysayers.