I would definitely buy a RA-V alum head if someone made them. 69 24.13%
I would seriously consider buying a RA-V alum head combo. 147 51.40%
RA-V's are too out in left-field for me. 24 8.39%
A RA-V program will be successful, but I wouldnt ever buy one. 14 4.90%
RA-V's are neat, but will never sell. 32 11.19%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know guys I know using factory stuff is neat, but putting ANY cast iron manifold on head with this kind of flow is like running a restrictor plate motor! Why not just get some RAIVs or HO heads and their manifolds, the performance probably would be the same. Maybe not the WOW factor, but most non Pontiac guys don't know a RAV if it bit them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Skip, If you looked at the posts it stated that we would like them to look stock but be Hogged Out for more flow.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PONCHOSHOP:
If i had a set of those, i would'nt mind getting royalties on each set reproduced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's an idea!

I like it.

Who has contact with ANYONE owns owns a set of A-body RAV exhaust manifolds?

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't Milt Schornack have a RAV car that he drives to shows ?

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked to see if i could find the name or number of the guy that bought the manifolds,could not find anything. The motor mounts that were on the 69 GTO were stock GM.Stock manifolds on a 5,do look cool,but they are a major restriction in performance.You can easily out power the RA 5 with manifolds,with a RA 4 with manifolds.But running 5 motors are few and far in between.I do agree that these parts should be used.There is tons of stuff that people are hoarding that will never see the light of day,kinda sad.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:06 AM

I think that with the advent of the DCI heads and potential new KRE highports this topic is DOA. (Unfortunately,I have a set of V's that I bought before the DCI stuff was put on the fasttrack by AllPontiac)

Old 03-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skip Fix:
I don't know guys I know using factory stuff is neat, but putting ANY cast iron manifold on head with this kind of flow is like running a restrictor plate motor! Why not just get some RAIVs or HO heads and their manifolds, the performance probably would be the same. Maybe not the WOW factor, but most non Pontiac guys don't know a RAV if it bit them.

My other addiction 409s, have fewer choices repro cast iron manifolds out there, they routinely go for over $800 for repros! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Skip - if this ever comes about, and the manifolds can be done, then I'll cam and gear the car appropriately. Not gonna be a 10 second deal for me anyway. I know it's a TOTAL waste of $$$, but the WOW factor for Pontiac guys will be worth it to me!

All this talk about exhaust manifolds has gotten me to thinking about the intake. Going back to early in this thread, it appears that Lynn is considering doing an interchangeable top T.R. intake! I'll be wanting an intake similar or identical to the one in the Glasgo engine pics. Single regular Holley pattern "high rise".

Lynn???

Old 03-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lynn McCarty:
Oh Geez....here we go. The "restorer" attitude has just surfaced. LOL. To me if the repop them...then there is no difference if they are dimensionally the same. So what are we down to...the raw material being original? lol.

Parts is Parts!

If I have to, I will drive to Oklahoma and get my old set of RA-V's and repop them anyway.

Get real people it is cast iron, not freakin Holy Grails. Of course I never expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition. (Only the Monty Python fans will get that one.)

I dont want anyone to die of a heart attack, but Foder got one of the original dual quad tunnel rams for the RA-V's casting by Pontiac Racing. One he cut up and used it on the race car, the other one he keep brand new and unused. Don't ask he wont sell it.

Just a hunk of unusable cast alum to me if you arent going to run it. What are you going to do grow flowers inside this stuff? I dont get it. Make serious HP out of it or sell it on Ebay and go fishing or play golf...is my motto.

The worst Pontiac guy out there is a guy who has all this crap in the basement, never going to use it, and goes there for romantic interludes.

I had a guy who was going to pay me $3500 for my set of RA-V exhaust manifolds for a Firebird in 1998, and I had the wrenches in my hands waiting for the check to show up.....alas it never did.

Pretty typical.

Of course what do I know...I am just a dumb old racer who loves all this stuff, but only as parts.

Lynn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great post Lynn, BTW!

Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dragula:
I think that with the advent of the DCI heads and potential new KRE highports this topic is DOA. (Unfortunately,I have a set of V's that I bought before the DCI stuff was put on the fasttrack by AllPontiac) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dragula - I hope you're dead wrong about that.

In my way of thinking (and apparently Lynn's as well), there are still quite a few old school Pontiac "nuts" around to create demand for V heads as well as DCI's, etc.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AZBIRDS, I actually ran my HO intake on a set of E head roller motor for awhile knowing it was the "restrictor" for that motor until I could find an extra Shaker base to "massage" to fit a Holey/Torker II. I'd still bet even "hogged" out versions would still be the big restriction and no where keep up with the airflow in Lynn has been talking about. From seeing internal sections of the repro HO/RA manifolds the smallest area can't be accessed by a grinder unless you cut them open like Brezinzki does the SBC ram's horn circle track pieces.

But yes looking stock is kind of cool also, if I had a set of the header /hiperf 409 manifolds they might go on that project I have. lLoyd and another close local Pontiac friend like to have that factory look which is OK(why I kept a Shaker on the motor in my car does this look like a 10 secon engine?), as Lloyd said just cam for it. But unless a stock appearing intake is cast a single 4 tunnel ram base like Lynn showed looses the "stealth factory factor". I would think casting a dual plane factory type intake would be a project in itself. The RAIVs Butler has haven't hit the market for 2 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSN_motor.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	14201  

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skip Fix:
AZBIRDS, I actually ran my HO intake on a set of E head roller motor for awhile knowing it was the "restrictor" for that motor until I could find an extra Shaker base to "massage" to fit a Holey/Torker II. I'd still bet even "hogged" out versions would still be the big restriction and no where keep up with the airflow in Lynn has been talking about. From seeing internal sections of the repro HO/RA manifolds the smallest area can't be accessed by a grinder unless you cut them open like Brezinzki does the SBC ram's horn circle track pieces.

But yes looking stock is kind of cool also, if I had a set of the header /hiperf 409 manifolds they might go on that project I have. lLoyd and another close local Pontiac friend like to have that factory look which is OK(why I kept a Shaker on the motor in my car does this look like a 10 secon engine?), as Lloyd said just cam for it. But unless a stock appearing intake is cast a single 4 tunnel ram base like Lynn showed looses the "stealth factory factor". I would think casting a dual plane factory type intake would be a project in itself. The RAIVs Butler has haven't hit the market for 2 years now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Skip, I rather believe that the Butler intake delays are more of a Butler deal than anything else! Hopefully, if the head deal gets off the ground then Lynn can be persuaded into casting a dual plane intake along with a TR. Exhaust manifolds will be the biggest holdup in MY plans it looks like. At least the A-body manifolds will fit 2nd gen Firebirds as well as GTO's.

As far as restrictions, might could talk Gessler into taking a shot at 'em!

Heck, I could always "rent" Jeff's intake from him.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thought just came to mind - any chance a V engine might be approved for the F.A.S.T. deal???

Old 03-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope someone didn't think I am in the restro idea. I just can't stand it when someone claims to have a rare whatever and it is nothing more than a repo. Seen enough scammers use re-tooled parts and sell a vehical as original. Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't redo anything stock and make no claims to do so.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

Dragula,

There are way many advantages of the RA-V engine design than you may realize. If you read the thread, you might pick up a few.

It takes the wedge head's advantages, and provides solutions to some of the limiting factors that limit horsepower.

My opinion for what it is worth.

Yes we want to do an intake with a Replaceable top for single or 2X4's.

I will never do a dual plane intake unless there is a big demand for them.

Lynn

lmc3470@aol.com
www.ChemicalManagementIndiana.com
317-260-3486
Old 03-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lynn McCarty:
Dragula,

There are way many advantages of the RA-V engine design than you may realize. If you read the thread, you might pick up a few.

It takes the wedge head's advantages, and provides solutions to some of the limiting factors that limit horsepower.

My opinion for what it is worth.

Yes we want to do an intake with a Replaceable top for single or 2X4's.

I will never do a dual plane intake unless there is a big demand for them.

Lynn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Lynn:

What kind of numbers would you consider being enough to warrant casting up the DP intake manifold?

IMHO, the availability of a DP casting would broaden the appeal - and sales - of the cylinder head castings enormously.

My thought is that the RA V deal should be considered from the clone and resto angle, as well as the all out performance and racing angle.

Seems to me with the KRE high ports and the AllPontiac/DCI castings on the horizon one should consider your RA V deal from every conceivable viewpoint.

Just my .02.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a Ford Performer RPM (or other close separate intake runner motor fit)that could be modified/spacer plates/adapters for the V heads? That could get a dual plane for them.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Skip,it takes a ford tunnel port intake.Dont think there is a aftermarket intake.AND it is damn hard to get them adapted to a set of spacers and have it look stock.The water pump doughnut is the hard part.The damn spacer plates want to warp when they are welded on.Tom

Old 03-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RA5 heads & exhaust manifolds cast in aluminum. I'm starting to get dizzy. The shop fumes have been bad all day. Lunch break.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, I'm sure they do warp. I know just adding weld to the top of a Torker II to make it a higher port we had to mill it. Thank god for SCE thick gaskets. I thought the tunnel port was the swap. They are getting pretty rare themselves aren't they?

Maybe a cast SB2 single plane intake? Separate runners smaller width than Pontiacs. I know the Buick boys used to use spacers and Mopar intakes until all the casting got easier. I think KeeneBelle even sold them.Maybe a sandwiched spacer? Might look a little less "non stock" than Lynn's taller sheetmetal. I think all the aftermarket BBC individual runner intake would be alot harder to make fit.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lynn, You can use my daul plane manifold to get the specs to duplicate it. It will have to be between races though.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

AZbird,

Thanks for the offer. We will want to make an intake that fits under most hoods.

Were you the RA-V TA on HP TV? Before that, we thought we were the only guys who had a RA-V TA till we saw that one.

Ours was totally restored and retrofitted in 1980. 400 tunnel port, RA-V exhaust manifolds, 3 deluxe interior 4-spd.

We could give a crap about numbers matching. The 400 RA-V was the service crate motor option for the 69 TA. So no matter what the restorer people say, we used all the best stuff that Pontiac had to offer. That included honeycomb wheels which I believe are the coolest wheels ever made.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 69TA005.bmp (176.5 KB, 881 views)

lmc3470@aol.com
www.ChemicalManagementIndiana.com
317-260-3486