Old 07-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
Scott,
Congrats on the win!!!! Beautiful car from what I can see in the photos, you must be a very happy guy. Brian.
Brian -

Happy doesn't come close; ecstatic, jubilant, overwhelmed, etc, is more like it. Couldn't be more pleased with the car winning Best Concours Restored, especially since this was the first show for the car (it was finished literally hours before the show) and especially since this was not an "open checkbook" restoration.

I have to give a shout-out to my buddy Darrell Davidson, his right hand man, Doug Pekar, and the rest of the supporting cast at Supercar Creations in Norton, OH. As a reminder, we started off with a simple repaint/interior resto with me doing the frame and suspension, and then it morphed into a full-blown concours gold nut and bolt resto. About halfway through the resto, I asked Darrell if he could take it to the next level - - I wanted to have my cake and eat it too - -I wanted to have a car that was competitive for Best of Show, but without spending megabucks to get there. And that's what we ended up with - - a car that I believe was considered for Best of Show but without killing me financially. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't cheap, but I certainly feel like I got some serious bang for my buck. Thanks again, Darrell. Y'all really hit it out of the freakin' park with this one!

Other folks that did some of the major components of the car include PY member Jim Lehart, who built one bad@$$ Pure Stock Drags RAIV; PY member Jody Haag, who did the M21/M22 build; PY member Cliff Ruggles, who did the carb; and PY member Jim Mitschke, who did the rear diff.

As for the car that won Best of Show, I believe it was an Orbit Orange RAIII 70 Judge. I hear it was a very nice car and deserving of the award. Again, I'm just pleased as punch that we were apparently in that conversation.

I also owe a big thank you to all the folks here on PY - I can't name all of you, but I'd be willing to bet that 90% of you provided some helpful information, and I probably bought parts from 75% of you. So give yourselves a pat on the back, too; you earned it!

As for the next step, the car will go back to Darrell's shop to correct a few very minor issues that the judges picked out. From there, we are considering showing it again later this year. I've also have picked a spot for semi-permanent "storage" - Floyd Garrett has agreed to display the car at his world famous musclecar museum in Tennessee.

Now that this one is done, I need to finish my 71 AMX road race project as well as my 68 Lemans convt. Need some more toys waiting on my when I get back from Korea in 2 years!

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by bulletpruf; 07-13-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats Scott. Even though my plans to attend the CoVention fell through at the last minute and I didn't get to see it in person, maybe I'll get to see it later this year. Or I know I'll get up to Floyd's later on to see it as his place is only a couple of hours away. Congrats again!

Jerry

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations Scott! You & Darrell put a lot of work into that car!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Congratulations Scott! You & Darrell put a lot of work into that car!
I only did the fun stuff - buying it and taking it completely apart (my ratchets only go counterclockwise). Darrell had to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Last edited by bulletpruf; 07-14-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Congrats Scott. Even though my plans to attend the CoVention fell through at the last minute and I didn't get to see it in person, maybe I'll get to see it later this year. Or I know I'll get up to Floyd's later on to see it as his place is only a couple of hours away. Congrats again!

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. Let me know if you head to Floyd's.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:35 AM

Scott, you're probably tired of hearing this by now but your car is flat out gorgeous. The award is well deserved.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Scott, you're probably tired of hearing this by now but your car is flat out gorgeous. The award is well deserved.
Mike -

Nope, not tired of it at all!

On a related note, I heard from the most recent owner - - his father (also a Pontiac guy) attended the show and was just blown away.

Scott

Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default Congrats

Scott, congrats the car turned out great.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't put 2 and 4 together at the show Scott,...loved the car, awesome detail in the car! I shamed Mike to putting on his original shifter knob like yours. Too sweet, congrats!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Mike -

Nope, not tired of it at all!

On a related note, I heard from the most recent owner - - his father (also a Pontiac guy) attended the show and was just blown away.

Scott

Glad your not tired of the compliments......the restoration of your car turned out super nice. Gorgeous.....don't see too many RA IVs in that color. Congratulations!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go:

A picture outside with the hood down for the first time....

Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIVJUDGE View Post
Scott, congrats the car turned out great.
Thanks!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post
I didn't put 2 and 4 together at the show Scott,...loved the car, awesome detail in the car! I shamed Mike to putting on his original shifter knob like yours. Too sweet, congrats!
Thanks, Pat. Darrell really took it to the next level. Really appreciated the effort he puts into the detail work - correct finishes, foundry markings on bolts, etc.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4door View Post
Glad your not tired of the compliments......the restoration of your car turned out super nice. Gorgeous.....don't see too many RA IVs in that color. Congratulations!
Not sure why but I agree. It's a very common color for 70 but can only think of two other PG round port cars - one Judge (Dan Jensens?) and heard there was another RAIV 70 GTO at the co-vention in Pepper Green.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Here you go:

A picture outside with the hood down for the first time....
Thanks Mike! Was that from the MCR photo shoot?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, just my attempt, and expect better for sure were taken by a real photographer.

Darrell said its is the first time the hood was shut too since finishing....

I got to talk with a few guys about your car like Everett Claypool was there and what a nice guy he is. His son and him owned it and the stories were to die for. Met Mike Rigsby who says hi. The docs on his RA II bird dropped my jaw. Great show and Darrell will fill you in on all the good stuff. BTW: He handles that beast well!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just chiming in with my congrats Scott! Well-Deserved! Looking forward to a short drive up to my old stomping grounds in TN to see the car at Floyd's. Let us know when she gets there.

BJ

Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Yes, just my attempt, and expect better for sure were taken by a real photographer.

Darrell said its is the first time the hood was shut too since finishing....

I got to talk with a few guys about your car like Everett Claypool was there and what a nice guy he is. His son and him owned it and the stories were to die for. Met Mike Rigsby who says hi. The docs on his RA II bird dropped my jaw. Great show and Darrell will fill you in on all the good stuff. BTW: He handles that beast well!
Glad to hear that you were able to speak to Everett. He's good people. He had a clean A body as well - maybe a '72 T-37? IIRC, 350 car, column shift auto/bench seat, and in exceptional shape. Saw it when I went to pick up the GTO in the spring of 2008. His son Ed had my car for about 20 years or so. Ed followed the restoration here and on Darrell's site but couldn't make it to the show.

Glad to hear that Mike stopped by. His RAII 'bird is something else, isn't it? Also sold new at Wells Pontiac in Richmond, IN; same place where my car came from. Raced by the Frame brothers out of Richmond, and one of their nephews owned my car at one time.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Just chiming in with my congrats Scott! Well-Deserved! Looking forward to a short drive up to my old stomping grounds in TN to see the car at Floyd's. Let us know when she gets there.

BJ
Thanks, BJ. I'll let y'all know when it gets to Floyd's.

Scott

Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Not sure why but I agree. It's a very common color for 70 but can only think of two other PG round port cars - one Judge (Dan Jensens?) and heard there was another RAIV 70 GTO at the co-vention in Pepper Green.
The RA IV/4spd Judge Convertible that came out of CT was Pepper Green originally and there's another RA IV/4spd Pepper over Black Judge real close to here - also a radio delete car.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978