THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Cheif who ?
MUSCLAH, it's that guy that replied right above you. It's a comfort to me that we have someone that's that knowledgeable amongst this group. So willing to share, even when he's not been asked, his view of things. Having read his replies to this thread and others, I just have to say it must be tough being around the rank and file.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Sadly, I missed Carlisle and Norwalk and when my car was disabled there were no OEM (NOS or otherwise) driver rear quarter panels available that I could find. Being completely clueless on how all this works, I kept waiting on one to pop out of my cell but to this point that hasn't happened. I wish Chief had been around here then and he could have hooked me up. Life ain't fair when a guy that has so much valuable knowledge and the ability to convey that knowledge with such little effort and ease shows up on the scene after he's needed. I only wish.....
I suspect that that's the story of his life though. Hindsight is seldom anything less than 20-20.
There's an old car salvage in N.W. Oklahoma. Has a bunch of old cars, but there's zero "A" and "F" body parts left. Picked completely clean. My scrapper buddy gave me a 79 fire bird that I cut the quarters off of to properly repair my car. Have not seen one of THOSE much recently either.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually there are guys that are members but don't visit all that often,Chuck Hennly is one.When I was doing my 69 Judge I was able to lean on him to what repo parts were worth buying and which were not.There are others like Scott Tieman who are not on the board but with a call can help with same stuff.FWIW,Tom

Old 03-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Actually there are guys that are members but don't visit all that often,Chuck Hennly is one.When I was doing my 69 Judge I was able to lean on him to what repo parts were worth buying and which were not.There are others like Scott Tieman who are not on the board but with a call can help with same stuff.FWIW,Tom
We've got Chief, Tom. All is well.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM

Why can't we just celebrate the fact that the car is being repaired and saved?

Glad your car is moving along and looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 03-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I encountered a situation like this, I would be disappointed. There is no reason that this should have dragged out this long.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are reasons it's taking so long and I am also completely disappointed in the shops progress.
I'm also realistic.
It is sloooowly being worked on and if I decided to get it back and take it somewhere else I'd be backing up financially in a BIG way. I know how that works.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am opening a store next week to get rid of the hundreds of NOS
GTO fenders, doors, decklids and quarter panels I have stacked in my garage.
Chief, please send people my way. For payment I only accept a wire from Western Union.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
Chief, please send people my way. For payment I only accept a wire from Western Union.
Do you have proof of your goods?

I know I have proof of mine.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
Here, put these fenders in your pile. They were not difficult to find and at least you will have one set to boast about. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=814920

Old 03-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"3600 for the pair." I'm sure they're very nice, but when compared to the cost for repops ($400/each from Ames) I can guess which path most people would take.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:36 PM
Suspended

The point being that people claim the parts are not out there. The parts are out there and you can shop the price. But some people these days feel if they do not see it on their phone or out their living room window, it is not out there. Then, when these people get their cars done they think it is worth what a good one is worth. This holds true whether its a GTO or a Camaro. People these days are either too cheap or too lazy to get good parts. They just want to build catalog cars. That is fine, but don't call it the real deal because it is not.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for your help Chief. You have certainly proven one thing.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Suspended

That parts are out there? > http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...17#post5788217

And if you think that I am pointing out parts availability is about you, you are sadly mistaken. Your car did not need panel replacement, just a good bodyman. But that was discussed earlier by several.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Here, put these fenders in your pile. They were not difficult to find and at least you will have one set to boast about. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=814920
Will they fit a 67??

User CP
Edit Ignore List
Add a Member to Your List...
Chief of the 60's
Okay

This message is hidden because Chief of the 60's is on your ignore list.

Nice

Old 03-29-2018, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
That parts are out there? > http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...17#post5788217

And if you think that I am pointing out parts availability is about you, you are sadly mistaken. Your car did not need panel replacement, just a good bodyman. But that was discussed earlier by several.
You are good.
70 parts? Where were you when I needed you?
The other part about fixing what I had via looking at a forum picture? If that makes sense to you then I made the right call.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Will they fit a 67??

User CP
Edit Ignore List
Add a Member to Your List...
Chief of the 60's
Okay

This message is hidden because Chief of the 60's is on your ignore list.

Nice
I didn't know there was an ignore list. Thanks! When I find someone combative, sour attitude, judgmental, etc. I can hide the repulsive rambling. Just tried it! Then I won't want to post some BS myself in response.... other benefit is these 18 post a thread people, now I only read 3 pages instead of 8

Old 03-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief I could have used your services back in 1985......It took me 6 years
to find a right rear quarter panel for my convertible that was nice. It was a used
one, never did see an NOS one before or since. It held up my resto for many years. Sounds like they are everywhere now. Of course, there was no internet
back then and I live too far away from Carlisle or Hershey.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I cant even find a good 400 block for less than 1500 bucks. I am sure body panels in NOS form have more or less dried up and the ones that are out there have become unobtanium.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem is when you need them you can't find them and as much as Chief would like to prove his point, he hasn't found a driver's side 69 GTO quarter panel he could post up. Even if he did, it would likely be a 68/69 Lemans one with the triangle rear quarter marker light and you would still be slicing & dicing.

Yeah, NOS stuff is out there, I sold a pair of NOS 70's Firebird fenders at Norwalk 2 years ago and several years ago I sold a pair of NOS 68/9 GTO/LeMans fenders for 4k....but you have to be patient because when you need them you can be sure you won't find them.

BTW Chief, stop acting like you the bright star in this situation - go get hit and lets see you struggle to put a car back together. David has put a lot of time & effort into this car and doesn't deserve to be without it for over a year now. Stop crapping on him for Christ's sake!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978