Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
HIS,
Yes where someone measures and what it shows is very important. You would like all 9 points as close as possible.

Since fps / velocity is relative based on depression we need to say we are using 28" of water. Your 350 fps sounds about right as max in the MCSA and Johns 300 fps sound more like using an average CSA (like gotten from port cc's and port centerline calculation).

Stan

PS - Another common method used is CFM per sq. in. at different place in the port. Note this and the velocity also apply to the curtain area.
Curtains? That's a woman's area....

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
Curtains? That's a woman's area....
Mike,
Just where are you using your velocity probe?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 01-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger that CSA, average & peak fps.

i need re-educated on the fps relation to Valve curtain (area); sure a min valve curtain ( lift x pi x Dia ) CSA makes a match for air-handling capacity.

But I'm stuck at port fps needing a minimum valve lift area across piston position ( across RPM), that they both support the CFM; to support the piston peak velocity x displacement. Oh the math is time-based dynamic mass-air flow stuff.

I suspect a MAX engine RPM is assumed must be that Choke RPM calc.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 01-04-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mike,
Just where are you using your velocity probe?

Stan
Outa the gutter. Meant like interior decorating type curtain area. Is there another?

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
MEAT Curtains? That's a woman's area....
Fix it for you Mike

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What worse:

great Math skills and no dog in the fight"........or

having bought & 1/4 mile-Tested EVERY potentially competitive CYL Head in your proven racecar assembly, yet not sure why 1 head gave the slightly better results. intake & carb left the same? (naw)

some folks here may have a "super-power" on 1/4 mile combo insight! let's compare shall we:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O4QVyETjYKM

Old 01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
What worse:

great Math skills and no dog in the fight"........or

having bought & 1/4 mile-Tested EVERY potentially competitive CYL Head in your proven racecar assembly, yet not sure why 1 head gave the slightly better results. intake & carb left the same? (naw)

some folks here may have a "super-power" on 1/4 mile combo insight! let's compare shall we:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O4QVyETjYKM
HIS,
Having talked to some very knowledgeable people, the next step is a very steep learning curve with a move to CFD. Not sure that is for me.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 01-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
HIS,
Having talked to some very knowledgeable people, the next step is a very steep learning curve with a move to CFD. Not sure that is for me.

Stan
This is what I ment by one of my earlier posts -- The "Basic" math will not give the whole answer -- most of the time it works - when it dosent your left scratching something and wondering why -- There is a reasone they have developed wet flow benches and other specilized tools. I belive the CFD tech is why weather forcasting has goten better over the years. But it is just another tool - -crap in - crap out

Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
This is what I ment by one of my earlier posts -- The "Basic" math will not give the whole answer -- most of the time it works - when it dosent your left scratching something and wondering why -- There is a reasone they have developed wet flow benches and other specilized tools. I belive the CFD tech is why weather forcasting has goten better over the years. BUT JUST ANOTHER TOOL -crap in - crap out
x 1,000,000,000 CFD is basically a "WET FLOW BENCH" test using Cartoons.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
x 1,000,000,000 CFD is basically a "WET FLOW BENCH" test using Cartoons.

Tom Vaught

adapco's STAR CCM+ CFD SW has a good ability to simulate (and optimize) an intake runner. Also decent engine sim ability for combustion products too. i sat in on the 4- hour mesh traing course. http://www.cd-adapco.com/products/star-ccm-plus

May take months rotting behind a monitor, but answers do come out of CFD trials.

So, Stan, that's why calcs along with Rules-of-thumb boundaries provides rapid design & refinement to get 95% of optimal. Would you believe 92%? 90%?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
x 1,000,000,000 CFD is basically a "WET FLOW BENCH" test using Cartoons. Tom Vaught

Uhm, I asked adapco PARTICULARLY about CFD ability to handle texture, surface finish & their response was....wait for it....

Quite disapponting: they said they're not sure, and would look into that and get back to me.

So, the ability to CFD model-simulate, say a propeller for Thrust & Drag (HP) vs RPM where the windward/leeward blade surface finish gets varied would not be caught by even the fine mesh because the models are not matured. So, unless you know-for-sure, CFD by anybody using any suite of algorithms is about X2 as a wet flow bench

my opinion: a fella still has to experiment with textures to find out what the CHANGE in performance shows. Then asign Rule-of-thumb factors for said performance changes.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 01-06-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ETSLIPTTFMF

THAT IS ALL!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LiL Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If a fella had a "really good port" with a smooth tape film inside, then replaces the tape film with films having "textures-under-test"(think 220 grit, 120, 80, 60 grit & CNC bit step patterns), then the TUTs evals could occur more quickly than CFD could provide such answers.

Revealing PERF results are related to the smooth in terms of Rules of thumb for each texture. I figure.

oh and ETs slip-based evals puts ya back at POST 286 (cue it up and play it loud)

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 01-06-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, how many pages now of computer racing BS? All I know is my ports are big x huge and they work pretty good.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3fastgtos For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fastgtos View Post
Wow, how many pages now of computer racing BS? All I know is my ports are big x huge and they work pretty good.
it's COLD OUT dude, so Half of us gotta bench race for awhile. Oh, but South Dakota's having aheat wave..

Wish i could say: "But I'lll be back for you jack, and let the machine speak. that's right." but my only ride is slow, and will continue to be slow for my forsee-able Street/Strip future.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If a fella had a "really good port" with a smooth tape film inside, then replaces the tape film with films having "textures-under-test"(think 220 grit, 120, 80, 60 grit & CNC bit step patterns), then the TUTs evals could occur more quickly than CFD could provide such answers.

Revealing PERF results are related to the smooth in terms of Rules of thumb for each texture. I figure.

oh and ETs slip-based evals puts ya back at POST 286 (cue it up and play it loud)

In my humble opinion, any fuel that is on the port walls, I consider to be dead and a lost cause. I also don't think there is any texture that you could apply to the surface to keep fuel from adhering to it or to reintroduce it to the air stream with out hurting that air stream.

JMO

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
it's COLD OUT dude, so Half of us gotta bench race for awhile. Oh, but South Dakota's having aheat wave..

Wish i could say: "But I'lll be back for you jack, and let the machine speak. that's right." but my only ride is slow, and will continue to be slow for my forsee-able Street/Strip future.
are you saying, not even a "coon tune" could get it there? I don't believe it.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
In my humble opinion, any fuel that is on the port walls, I consider to be dead and a lost cause. I also don't think there is any texture that you could apply to the surface to keep fuel from adhering to it or to reintroduce it to the air stream with out hurting that air stream.

JMO
100% agreement on your 1st Sentence. 2nd sentence conflicts with 1st Sentence.

Suppose there was a Runner/guide texture that improved fuel atomization, then a fella would need to lean-out their combo to correct the EGRs, revealing a gain. Do Piston & Chamber coatings work? Id so, then why did they work?

Suggest textures be tried for HP-dyno, not Flow-bench results.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
are you saying, not even a "coon tune" could get it there? I don't believe it.
"That's right. That's right! THAT's RIGHT! eh eh eh" - ZZT

here's a story: Certain engine was delivered. Fella tears that NEW engine apart and polishes the runners, puts it together and the engine spits, farts and has trouble with loaded acceleration. Calls the builder & says hey I did so-&-so polish, Builder says " there is no ability to undo the polish to restore the texture, engine is ruined". Fella bought a new engine, and is enjoying a very responsive state-of-art HP/CID carb'd engine.

We hope fuel injection will be as-good.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
100% agreement on your 1st Sentence. 2nd sentence conflicts with 1st Sentence.

Suppose there was a Runner/guide texture that improved fuel atomization, then a fella would need to lean-out their combo to correct the EGRs, revealing a gain. Do Piston & Chamber coatings work? Id so, then why did they work?

Suggest textures be tried for HP-dyno, not Flow-bench results.

I don't believe there is anything that conflicts with what I said.

So you think coating the chamber and top of the pistons makes hp, try it and test it. I will bet the dyno can't measure the difference. The coating will reflect heat, the chamber is the only place I want heat unless its a N2o or boosted app and as long as it does not limit me on the timing on a NA app. But if I have the cam close it wouldn't on a NA app.

I think coatings are BS. IMO they don't work. At least for NA 10,000 rpm and below.

ph. 248-259-6696