Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yruslo View Post
Congrats on the HP Mike....will you make Beech Bend NMCA in May?
I'm not sure right now. They canceled my shoulder surgery due to the viral infection I had. Right now they rescheduled the surgery for May 11 but it would appear that may not happen depending on how quickly everything is cleared up but I get the greenlight.

If the car is running and I can move my arm I'll be there

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We actually gave up a few peak numbers but increase the average a bunch. This is actually what I feel is our best pull even though it's down 3 hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	426822  

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default two dyno sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
We actually gave up a few peak numbers but increase the average a bunch. This is actually what I feel is our best pull even though it's down 3 hp.
Mike, what was the difference between the peak HP run and the better average one. Timing change?

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 04-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats Mike and all involved! I agree bad weather dyno day will show less power. But what I don't get is how you guys get into a dyno with dyno operator you trust,whenever you feel like it or when the weather is good. My experience is when my guy calls me To tell me what day his dyno is freed up I gota go no matter what the weather is or it could be months before he gets a open time to try it again ......anyway congrats hope your shoulder surgery doesn't keep ya down to long so you can get on the track soon!

69goat1 my guy said the same thing about humidity and 20+hp

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.854@160.12 in Brainerd MN 7/2024
Old 04-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nicely done. Congrats to you and the crew for going where no e-head have been and for sharing such a significant milestone. Has any other e head achieved this power level? Did you move timing around during the pull with the digital box? Care to share any numbers on the ignition timing? Maybe I missed it but who's carb and what was the Cfm rating? Best if luck at the track with that beast.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/st 54 View Post
Congrats Mike and all involved! I agree bad weather dyno day will show less power. But what I don't get is how you guys get into a dyno with dyno operator you trust,whenever you feel like it or when the weather is good. My experience is when my guy calls me To tell me what day his dyno is freed up I gota go no matter what the weather is or it could be months before he gets a open time to try it again ......anyway congrats hope your shoulder surgery doesn't keep ya down to long so you can get on the track soon!

While I will agree I am very fortunate to be taken extra serious buy some very competent folks in the automotive motor sports industry. I still have to deliver on my end. For example when someone is squeezing me into their Dyno schedule I need to be agreeable about which day works for them. And if it's raining that day then that's that. I would have loved to have dynode on Monday of this week. 40 water drains 37° 29.92 on the barometer. That there is horsepower air.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Mike, what was the difference between the peak HP run and the better average one. Timing change?
We made a cam timing change.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's impressive congrats !

Old 04-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/st 54 View Post

My Blower motor is sitting at the machine/dyno shop right now. I could have it dynoed any day I want. We watched the weather in the past and did it off the forecast. They have plenty of other engines they can put on the pump if I decide to wait and lots of those guys don't care about the air and use their time just to tune to peak HP/Torque and make sure the engine is broken in correctly.

I have decided not to dyno this one because it's just a street car engine and will see very little track action and I can spend the money toward something it needs much more...

Old 04-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robertson View Post
Nicely done. Congrats to you and the crew for going where no e-head have been and for sharing such a significant milestone. Has any other e head achieved this power level? Did you move timing around during the pull with the digital box? Care to share any numbers on the ignition timing? Maybe I missed it but who's carb and what was the Cfm rating? Best if luck at the track with that beast.

As far as i know there is NO other NA pontiac running that has made tgat much hp on the dyno. For now......2 are coming soon

Let alone ehead cast intake and 1 carb. If so go right ahead and post a sheet.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's bad ass Mike, Great job.

GT.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
That's bad ass Mike, Great job.

GT.
Thanks Gary, and all others who commented as well.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn Mike. Nice job. Way to make some steam.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 04-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Humidity displaces oxygen. Think of it this way. Every water molecule in the air going into your engine takes the place of a useful oxygen molecule that would have otherwise gone in.

Rain isn't the culprit directly, but a rainy day has high humidity.

Eric
My initial point was rain is not water vapor. (Mike said he did it in the rain). Water vapor affects density altitude (which affects performance), rain does not. Rain is the result of atmospheric conditions. If he had stated he did it in low pressure air or poor conditions, I would not have provided input. My point is cold air cannot hold as much water vapor when compared to warm or hot air. Simply because it is raining, does not necessarily mean you have a high water vapor content. High humidity does not indicate high water vapor content. If the air is cold, things change. Saying a rainy day has high humidity is vague unless you include the tempurature.

The psychometric chart indicates 50 f. air / at 90% humidity holds 49 grains per pound water vapor.
While, 90 f. air / at 70% humidity holds 150 grains per pound of water vapor.

37 f. air with 100% humidity can only hold 33 grains per pound.

Mikes performance is stellar, and I congratulated him, it's not about his achievements.

All I'm trying to do is help those reading this to understand how meteorology works.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 View Post
My initial point was rain is not water vapor. (Mike said he did it in the rain). Water vapor affects density altitude (which affects performance), rain does not. Rain is the result of atmospheric conditions. If he had stated he did it in low pressure air or poor conditions, I would not have provided input. My point is cold air cannot hold as much water vapor when compared to warm or hot air. Simply because it is raining, does not necessarily mean you have a high water vapor content. High humidity does not indicate high water vapor content. If the air is cold, things change. Saying a rainy day has high humidity is vague unless you include the tempurature.

The psychometric chart indicates 50 f. air / at 90% humidity holds 49 grains per pound water vapor.
While, 90 f. air / at 70% humidity holds 150 grains per pound of water vapor.

37 f. air with 100% humidity can only hold 33 grains per pound.

Mikes performance is stellar, and I congratulated him, it's not about his achievements.

All I'm trying to do is help those reading this to understand how meteorology works.
Really? Thats what you're trying to do? I'd rethink that.....

Several credible sources have pointed out the truth about dynoing on a bad air day and its effects. One that owns and runs a dyno. Maybe the learning opportunity is closer to home than you think. No offense. But who the hell thinks the the water grains are not high when its a rainy day. Come on.

A lot dyno cells use shop air for the input. So that adds to the issue as the temp comes from the shop and the water grains and pressure ar fed by the atmosphere.

Last edited by mike leech; 04-22-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:15 PM
Boost Engineer

This website does a fine job of explaining Air Density equations and Density Altitude Calculations, as well as having several very good calculators.

There are several different ways to get numbers for your air density calculations.

Enjoy.

https://wahiduddin.net/calc/density_altitude.htm

(Dyno Correction Factor Calculator)

https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_cf.htm

(Engine Tuner's Calculator - using dew point)

https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm

Tom Vaught

ps no need to argue about the weather. There are a hundred opinions from weather people on how to do it and they are still wrong 15% of the time.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You didn't say you did it on a bad-air day, you said it was in the rain. I'm saying rain does not mean bad air. Like it or not, cold air cannot hold water vapor like hot air.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For pete's sake please stop. You have an opportunity to learn something here. Please don't waste it.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
We made a cam timing change.
There must be great satisfaction in being able to move the cam timing for improved (best) performance. Someday....HIS

Old 04-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
There must be great satisfaction in being able to move the cam timing for improved (best) performance. Someday....HIS
The bop belt drive is the bomb. Very nice piece and easy to manipulate Cam timing to your satisfaction

Just make sure you have plenty of valve clearance for the changes you want to make