Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Are those new seat covers - or just been freshly dyed ?

If new - what company - PUI , Legendary , etc ...
BVZ, they are brand new reproduction covers made by PUI....I couldn't afford Legendary and this car is no points or show car.

~Joe

Build thread for my poppa ~~> CLICKY CLICKY
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^ bet it would beat alot out there....

Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The PUI covers have a very bad reputation around here. I'd read that they'd made some improvements and those seem to bear that out. They look great.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
The PUI covers have a very bad reputation around here. I'd read that they'd made some improvements and those seem to bear that out. They look great.
Thank you sir. I think they have room for improvement for sure. Especially the headrests. Overall, they look good and fit pretty well. I really think there is a touch too much gold in them tho, but I'm too young to know what a real parchment color is

Ok guys, big old update for this week. I've been bustin my balls till nearly 2am every night last week and it looks to have paid off. I got all the electrical DONE! I had some problems with the horn, but I managed, I installed trunk and underhood lights, had to wire in all new tail light pigtails on every socket (old ones were crap), shoot...I even got the dome light working....never had an old car that had a working dome light, lolz.....then converted the entire car to all LED's (still waiting on a couple bulbs) Also got my PY radio installed with a 760 watt Pioneer amp, cheap 6x9's and a single 12" boom-tube sub. Way overkill but almost all of it was free, so I might as well put it to good use.

Also polished up the tires, installed the wheel well trim in the rear, installed brand new reproduction metal mirrors, got my rear view mirror in, and got her fired up once again. No road test as of yet...still don't have the front seats in yet, but I will tomorrow.

So as it looks, I think I pretty much met my goal of having her done by April 1st. Looks to me she is about 95% done. Things to do....

~Road test and tune
~Exhaust (free from local shop)
~Alignment (free from local shop)
~Window Tint (free from local shop)
~Instal e-brake cables
~Instal new front brake hoses
~Instal driveshaft (current one is bent)
~Change engine oil and filter
~Instal glove box "box"
~Instal hood seal (rear), waiting on clips
~Go over inside of trunk with spatter paint
~Instal spare tire hold down and paint jack assy
~Do a little more hood fitting and adjustment (see pic below)
~Go over entire car once again with buffer
~And who knows what else. A bunch of piddly stuff I'd imagine

Most of which is pretty easy stuff....enough of my rambling BS, pics.......

I know the wheel isn't "correct", but it looks good and was in my budget....(crappy phone pic)....

Electronic flasher for the LED conversion. Used 2 of em...

Comparison....

Before (went thru all body work and paint)...

After....

Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 PM

Joe - If you need a place to hide this beauty until the big reveal... My 2 car garage is available. Just don't write down the mileage or the tread depth when you drop it off

Old 03-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOW! That's all I can say, WOW! Oh wait, one more thing, can you restore mine next?
I can't believe the speed and thoroughness of this resto.Your Dad is going to be so thrilled. And proud of you.
It'd be a great blog entry story for Father's Day.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dude...it looks fantastic.

What's it say next to the emblem on the trunk lid?

I just looked back over the whole thread. I had forgotten about the amount of rust repair and body work you had to do. Hard to believe you turned this car around in a year. Not to mention a complete color change inside and out and a conversion to fixed headlights. Amazing.

I'd love to see this story written up in HPP.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Same here - even though I've tried to follow it closely while it was being done.

I can't wait to hear/see his reaction!

Nice job!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM

Nice job. She looks great,

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You've impressed the hell out of me Joe. As someone who has been trying to carve out enough time to do this to one car over a period of several years, I'm blown away by the quality of the work and the speed in which it was accomplished. GREAT JOB.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Joe - If you need a place to hide this beauty until the big reveal... My 2 car garage is available. Just don't write down the mileage or the tread depth when you drop it off
Lolz! Dude, that was the funniesty thing I've heard in a while. Thanks man....I'll do just that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Dude...it looks fantastic.

What's it say next to the emblem on the trunk lid?

I just looked back over the whole thread. I had forgotten about the amount of rust repair and body work you had to do. Hard to believe you turned this car around in a year. Not to mention a complete color change inside and out and a conversion to fixed headlights. Amazing.

Thank you sir. On the trunk lid, click HERE. I'd love to put this story in HPP no doubt. I may do a little write up and send it in. After I got my 69 Camaro built, I sent in the story to CPM (Camaro Performance Mag) years ago as it has a unique story, but my story was ignored. I may try it with HPP...won't hurt to try.

Quote:
You've impressed the hell out of me Joe. As someone who has been trying to carve out enough time to do this to one car over a period of several years, I'm blown away by the quality of the work and the speed in which it was accomplished. GREAT JOB.
Thanks Greg! I'm just doing the best I can. I am actually impressed with myself....I had some motivation from a local Poncho guy (or so called) (remember THIS THREAD?) Ya...that guy....he came over to the garage one night when I had the car hanging in the air on the rotisserie upside down with the floorboards cut out....he asked when the D-Day was supposed to be, I told him April 21st...he kinda giggled and told me that I was out of my mind and there is absolutely zero chance that would ever happen. Just because I'm not really impressed with the guy all that much, I really wanted to prove him wrong....and I've almost got it done 3 weeks in advance.

Keep in mind, it's still not done. I have a long way to go still.

Small update tomorrow. Stay tuned.....

~Joe

Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do remember that guy....lol

Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I looked at the thread Kokomo mentioned about the know it all, then looked at Kokomo's build up thread again in its entirety and laughed. The way I see it, Kokomo stamped "OWNED" on know it all's BVDs with indelible ink around page 3 of his thread. The rest was just extra. I'm doing a blog entry on this car, no questions about it.

Last edited by bigborehunter; 04-02-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborehunter View Post
I looked at the thread Kokomo mentioned about the know it all, then looked at Kokomo's build up thread again in its entirety and laughed. The way I see it, Kokomo stamped "OWNED" on know it all's BVDs with indelible ink around page 3 of his thread. The rest was just extra. I'm doing a blog entry on this car, no questions about it.
Let me know on that blog. You have a really cool site there. Thanks!

Ok guys, maiden voyage last night!!! Had to replace the battery...weird that it would be a good battery all this time thru the entire build and then when I really want to go do something, it dies with a dead cell. Anyway, got a battery in her, fired her up and went for a ride....drove like crap really. Needs an alignment, tires were low, carburetor is running so frikkin rich it ain't funny, and transmission has a problem coming out of gear when I come to a stop....have to rev it a little bit to go into gear.

Other than those little things, she did ok. Drove her to the gas station to get some go-go juice....it wasn't 3 min away from the house and I already had people snappin' pictures and givin' thumbs up. Must be a cool car......

Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Senior Chief

Also, this morning I found a fuel leak on the metal line that goes thru the frame right there at the fuel pump. Not real sure what to do about that right now. No leaks when running, but does leak when turned off.

Last night I painted the trunk with spatter paint, put on my hood edge trim I just polished, installed the pass seat, fixed (I think) a small coolant leak. Going to the muffler shop to have exhaust installed, then over to another shop for alignment. Should be a good day for the ole Goat....update soon....

Old 04-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice stance. I may do the LED thing. I like the nice, bright instrument lighting.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Nice stance. I may do the LED thing. I like the nice, bright instrument lighting.
Thanks Greg. I've got some troubleshooting I need to do on the LED thing. Everything works great but I'm getting feedback thru to the parking lights when I hit the brakes for some reason.....most likely the particular type of stop light bulb since it does not happen when I remove the bulb...not real sure, gotta figure it out.

Ok, exhaust and alignment done! Figured out my fuel leak on while it was on the lift too. Also I noticed that the carburetor seems to be running better since I've been driving it. Not running nearly as rich as it was the other day....maybe it had some junk in it since it had been sitting idle (not running) for so long while the build proceeded. Although, it has a very bad hesitation I'm not sure how to fix. Slight amount of throttle it hesitates, alot of throttle, even worse. Gotta research that one. Also found 2 small coolant leaks...on one the lower radiator hose to the pump and the other is the hose on the heater core. Not sure how to address those. Tranny is still acting up. Man I don't wanna pull that thing out! CRAP!! Oh well, at least she sounds amazing! She has a nice deep throaty tone to her now.....what a sexy beast!!!

I know he won't see this, but Jerry @ American Muffler here in Liberty Hill, Tx....thanks for the donation of exhaust work! You did a fine job...it will go to a fine home my friend!!!

Before....

After....

Once exhaust was done, I took her over to the alignment shop...not many pix here as my phone just about died out, but this is all you get. The alignment was waaay out....she drives great now for sure! I still think there is a very bad need for new shocks or some sort of sway bar in the rear....or maybe I'm used to my 69 Camaro that has autocross suspension.....oh well, good enough I suppose!!!

Also a special thanks to Dave at Tindell Tire here in town for the alignment donation! You guys friggin rock!!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did he exchange the turndowns for straight out the back tailpipes?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Did he exchange the turndowns for straight out the back tailpipes?
Yessir. We discussed the turndowns. He had some nice tips that would look great on there, but I decided against the turndowns from prior experience on my 69 Camaro....when you have turndowns, the exhaust stirs up so much dust and gets all over the car, even on paved streets....just don't wanna go that route.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Senior Chief

Shoot! I forgot to post a pic of the exh tips....