Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-10-2017, 03:21 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Since idle speed will be at least five or six times as fast as the starter cranks it, I have no doubts that the magneto will be fine once it's running. So I tore the mag apart and brought the lead from the internal generator (alternator, actually) out externally. Wired up a DPDT switch to use when starting- it feeds +12 vdc through the external coil primary, in series with the points/capacitor of the magneto (also puts the alternator output to ground, to avoid over-voltage concerns). With this 'start' switch activated, it behaves like any normal points/coil ignition- creates consistent 1/2" free-air sparks cranking. After it's proven, I'll then replace the switch with a DPDT relay driven by the start button. But real-life gets in the way sometimes- I need to wait until the wife recovers from a respiratory ailment- not wise to fire it up in the attached garage while she's home!

I liked gapping the V8 hemi plugs to .025", so I'll try that.

Charlie- Dyno2000 engine software shows the possibility of near 800 HP, but I think that's optimistic. My goal is 725 HP, which is what the prior lakester owner's engine dyno'd at. He saw 263 MPH (GPS) at Bonneville. It's a coincidence that the SCTA record in the class I'll lbe running (F/BFL) is also 263 MPH.

... or has a Pontiac born the same year as Jim Wangers? (1926}

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 01-10-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Since idle speed will be at least five or six times as fast as the starter cranks it, I have no doubts that the magneto will be fine once it's running. So I tore the mag apart and brought the lead from the internal generator (alternator, actually) out externally. Wired up a DPDT switch to use when starting- it feeds +12 vdc through the external coil primary, in series with the points/capacitor of the magneto (also puts the alternator output to ground, to avoid over-voltage concerns). With this 'start' switch activated, it behaves like any normal points/coil ignition- creates consistent 1/2" free-air sparks cranking. After it's proven, I'll then replace the switch with a DPDT relay driven by the start button. But real-life gets in the way sometimes- I need to wait until the wife recovers from a respiratory ailment- not wise to fire it up in the attached garage while she's home!

I liked gapping the V8 hemi plugs to .025", so I'll try that.

Charlie- Dyno2000 engine software shows the possibility of near 800 HP, but I think that's optimistic. My goal is 725 HP, which is what the prior lakester owner's engine dyno'd at. He saw 263 MPH (GPS) at Bonneville. It's a coincidence that the SCTA record in the class I'll lbe running (F/BFL) is also 263 MPH.
Thanks Jack. I see no reason for you to miss your mark. In fact I know you'll hit it and then some . Good luck Jack!

Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking 264 MPH! That's got to be the goal!

Old 01-14-2017, 02:29 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Points/coil ignition system works fine for starting. Got in a couple of brief runs, but fuel system still needs dialing-in. Hilborn's starting-point setup was with aerated hat nozzles, which I don't like. Changing to non-aerated nozzles threw the low-speed mixture way off.

Ran just enough to start looking things over. Quickly noticed runout of blower pulley. Turns out the blower drive snout is defective- .047" TIR at the register diameter for the pulley, and .077" runout at the front of the 3" wide pulley! Another delay...

Old 01-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
........Another delay...
However, progress! If it was easy to run 270 mph, everyone would do it.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 01-14-2017, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But it is running!!! Had to feel good to see it spinning under it's own power. That's allot of runnout. We have quite a bit of running runnout on our deal too. Much of it due to the huge main bearing clearance we run.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:09 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Yeah, it WAS encouraging- to actually go through a shut-down procedure instead of it just dying for one reason or another! But I'm a little bit out-of-practice... after shutting off the fuel and waiting for the fuel lines to clear out, I mistakenly bumped the throttle open a little- a loud lean-POP stopped it instantly.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack , what is the firing order on this motor?

Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Impressive, congratulations.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:28 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Pretty common firing order- 1342.

Although my clever(?) switching of the mag to battery/points/coil for starting works well (and still in place), I discovered that I could buy just the motor/solenoid to upgrade my 1.4KW Tilton starter to their 2.2KW motor- thus all the machining on the nose/drive to fit my block plate is still usable. Swapped it in today and cranking speed is at least 50% faster, and cranking spark jumps 2.5 times as large a free-air gap.
Replacement blower drive snout to arrive by brown-Santa tomorrow.
Been puttering while awaiting stuff- tied outer ends of zoomies together (rules requirement), second return spring on throttle, machined a groove in oil sump drain plug flange to prevent O-ring from pushing out if overtightened and drilled/safety-wired it, etc. etc.
I'll try to enlist my son's help for the next fire-up, to accomplish more observation- use a timing light as a strobe to watch cam drive belt action and spark scatter, watch both oil pressures and scavenge volume, etc. As much as I like being a one-man operation, a crew is sometimes indispensable!

Old 01-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
......As much as I like being a one-man operation, a crew is sometimes indispensable!
Amen. Since I don't have a son, my wife fills that role of "crew chief". A second set of eyes really helps.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 01-22-2017, 03:45 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Replacement blower snout is fine- less than .001" runout. And it included a freebie- they upgraded to a 1.250" diameter spline from the original 1.125". Great, right? Well... except that the housing O.D. was increased by .062", so my belt idler arm didn't fit on it! Instead of waiting for yet ANOTHER part, I bored the arm to fit. [Moral of story: can't assume anything]

Old 01-22-2017, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Jack. Best of Luck with this project. You have Great patience in this build. I am sure you will see the results when all is said and done.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't you just love when a manufacturer "upgrades" parts "free" for you but doesn't tell you? I love their intentions, but please TELL me before you do something. Sent a camshaft back for a repair/regrind. Came back with a note, "we reground this cam to one with better specs. we though you would like!!" Are you kidding me? Now our entire tune-up is changed. Had a second custom 2 piece oil pan made. I said, make it EXACTLY the same as the old one. It comes back with a note, "We modified and IMPROVED the fit of this new pan for you no charge. Great, except it now doesn't fit the Moon timing cover. Had to buy another rare cover and modify it to fit the new pan. The list is endless and I can relate to your situation. The beauty is when something doesn't fit, you have the knowledge and ability to fix it yourself. Best of luck moving forward.

Quote:
Replacement blower snout is fine- less than .001" runout. And it included a freebie- they upgraded to a 1.250" diameter spline from the original 1.125". Great, right? Well... except that the housing O.D. was increased by .062", so my belt idler arm didn't fit on it! Instead of waiting for yet ANOTHER part, I bored the arm to fit. [Moral of story: can't assume anything]

Old 01-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Don't you just love when a manufacturer "upgrades" parts "free" for you but doesn't tell you? I love their intentions, but please TELL me before you do something. Sent a camshaft back for a repair/regrind. Came back with a note, "we reground this cam to one with better specs. we though you would like!!" Are you kidding me? Now our entire tune-up is changed. Had a second custom 2 piece oil pan made. I said, make it EXACTLY the same as the old one. It comes back with a note, "We modified and IMPROVED the fit of this new pan for you no charge. Great, except it now doesn't fit the Moon timing cover. Had to buy another rare cover and modify it to fit the new pan. The list is endless and I can relate to your situation. The beauty is when something doesn't fit, you have the knowledge and ability to fix it yourself. Best of luck moving forward.
Sounds more like they messed it up and just fixed it the best they could so they didn't have to give you a new one. lol

Old 01-23-2017, 03:02 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

The 1.25" spline coupler was truly a desirable upgrade from The Blower Shop, so I'm not complaining loudly. It's just that I seem to be a "walking example of Murphy's law" everytime I await a piece and expect to just place it in service.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Boost Engineer

Some people, like yourself Jack, just assume the best work from people.
Nothing wrong with that deal. Doesn't happen that way in some cases.

Glad it is running and maybe will come and watch it run at B-Ville.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
Amen. Since I don't have a son, my wife fills that role of "crew chief". A second set of eyes really helps.

Jim

Although I have my car set up for a ONE person (just me, just incase) operation...........My Wife does the same.........she is irreplaceable!

GTO George

Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Was having trouble getting the fuel system close enough, but finally got it running on methanol, steady 3,000 RPM, for 20 seconds or so today... prior to the explosion! The distorted piece of 3/8" 6061 was formerly the floor of the blower manifold. Didn't intend it to be a "burst panel", but it may have served that purpose. Haven't yet looked for damage to blower or engine.

At this point, I can only guess at the cause. Perhaps simply too lean on just the hat nozzles- I had the port nozzles temporarily blocked, hoping to get it idled down enough to check at what pressure the popoff valve would open.

Definitely sets the schedule back...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burst11.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	448977   Click image for larger version

Name:	burst22.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	448978  

Old 03-07-2017, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've built a similar blower 'box' manifold out of 1/4 T6 ali on the side of my sons 6 pot Toyota engine, my biggest worry is that the box will come apart like yours if we get a pop back. I don't have a pop off valve in there,just banking that the ribbed belts will slip if it pops back.