Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
It doesnt matter what the induction was 18 to 1 compression or 6 lbs of boost with a small street supercharger or whatever......still had a STOCK convertor, 3.42 gears, a small Hydraulic Crane Blazer camshaft and over 3,400 lbs (actually closer to 3,500) with factory heads. it would do it ALL day, ALL the time!

GTO George
If you ran 10.80's all day long, why is there an 11.?? dial on the window?

Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Busted

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Quote:
That photo was from my win at the Bracket Finals, the class I ran in was Pro, it was from 11.00-11.99 so.........the rest you guys can figure out. Good catch! Yes I didn’t run 10.80’s ALL the time .90’s were in there, Michigan in the summer can no brutal sometimes.

GTO George

Old 04-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That photo was from my win at the Bracket Finals, the class I ran in was Pro, it was from 11.00-11.99 so.........the rest you guys can figure out. Good catch! Yes I didn’t run 10.80’s ALL the time .90’s were in there, Michigan in the summer can no brutal sometimes.

GTO George
It's OK George if you want to round down a tenth or two it's your story.--

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 04-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

GTO George
But it looks like an 11.1? dial..
Being that the series was still sponsored by TNN and Firestone, That photo is probably from somewhere around 89-92 before Craftsman took over the main sponsorship of the series. I don't remember a "pro" class that was time broke from 11.0 to 11.99. I do remember the "Street" class (14.0 and slower) "Heavy" 12.0-13.99 and then the "Pro" class was 10.0-11.99 and "Super Pro" was 7.50 up to 9.99 Because that was the break for needing the BS NHRA license. When I use to footbrake the car, we ran in Heavy with mufflers to keep the car at the 12.0 cap and went thru brake pads frequently....

Old 04-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
It's OK George if you want to round down a tenth or two it's your story.--
OK you made me crank up the ol' iMac.........., I hate long posts! So at my home track Detroit Dragway I ran a different class s/pro, i love running with the FAST guys! I started of my racing career running 16.90's in my Dads 1968 ford Galaxy (390 with a 2 barrel), i use to take it to the track........funny thing was I never told him! Well I did get busted, he kinda smiled but the rest is history. Anyways I always wanted to go quicker, never satisfied. So jump up a few years I bought the 1974 GTO a couple years later I installed a 455, then a long time after I bought THE BLOWER! I fist installed the blower it ran 11.90's - 12.0's BUT the FAST class was 11.49 and quicker I tweeted a little every week I got it to run 11.40-60's..... BUT the 40's didn't come till at night when the sun went down and the temps got cooler and the track hooked better! Me being the racer I am I would dial in at 11.49 (anyways) I hoped I could make it passed first round (even though I couldn't run that 11.49 in the heat) and it was cool then at night I was there 11.40's! So at Detroit that year I ran super pro 10.99 and quicker (they were always changing the s/pro break) at indy I changed pulleys! Sorry about the long post!

GTO George

Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Quote:
But it looks like an 11.1? dial..
Being that the series was still sponsored by TNN and Firestone, That photo is probably from somewhere around 89-92 before Craftsman took over the main sponsorship of the series. I don't remember a "pro" class that was time broke from 11.0 to 11.99. I do remember the "Street" class (14.0 and slower) "Heavy" 12.0-13.99 and then the "Pro" class was 10.0-11.99 and "Super Pro" was 7.50 up to 9.99 Because that was the break for needing the BS NHRA license. When I use to footbrake the car, we ran in Heavy with mufflers to keep the car at the 12.0 cap and went thru brake pads frequently....
Bingo........DAMN you're GOOD! That race started on Friday (timed runs) and because of the Rain it lasted in-till Tuesday! A lot of weather changers that weekend with the rain and all. Actually i had it running in the 11.0's (first round Saturday).....tuesday was hot! It was 1992, the first year for the Delay box!
OK back to the Muppets!

GTO George

Old 04-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
OK you made me crank up the ol' iMac.........., I hate long posts! So at my home track Detroit Dragway I ran a different class s/pro, i love running with the FAST guys! I started of my racing career running 16.90's in my Dads 1968 ford Galaxy (390 with a 2 barrel), i use to take it to the track........funny thing was I never told him! Well I did get busted, he kinda smiled but the rest is history. Anyways I always wanted to go quicker, never satisfied. So jump up a few years I bought the 1974 GTO a couple years later I installed a 455, then a long time after I bought THE BLOWER! I fist installed the blower it ran 11.90's - 12.0's BUT the FAST class was 11.49 and quicker I tweeted a little every week I got it to run 11.40-60's..... BUT the 40's didn't come till at night when the sun went down and the temps got cooler and the track hooked better! Me being the racer I am I would dial in at 11.49 (anyways) I hoped I could make it passed first round (even though I couldn't run that 11.49 in the heat) and it was cool then at night I was there 11.40's! So at Detroit that year I ran super pro 10.99 and quicker (they were always changing the s/pro break) at indy I changed pulleys! Sorry about the long post!

GTO George
When I started racing in 89 we had trophy class , sportsman 13.00 and slower , Pro 11.00-12.99 , super pro was 11.99 and quicker. We ran the track champion division races on Friday night and the Division race on Saturday. I never did very good at ether of those races. But the Sunday bonus bucks race I always did well at.

George it's nice to hear your racing stories. Now if we could get you and Tom to stop bickering we might be on to something.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracerx2813 View Post
When I started racing in 89 we had trophy class , sportsman 13.00 and slower , Pro 11.00-12.99 , super pro was 11.99 and quicker. We ran the track champion division races on Friday night and the Division race on Saturday. I never did very good at ether of those races. But the Sunday bonus bucks race I always did well at.

George it's nice to hear your racing stories. Now if we could get you and Tom to stop bickering we might be on to something.
I understand....sorry!

GTO George

Old 04-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandville455 View Post
Exactly jeff! people here like to refer that these are still the old e heads that first were designed lol , its not their wide ports with a good port, totally different then the original RAIV that vic designed, either way u are flying, I just get sick of the head reference, lol.... christ go out and get data and keep after as u have!! I have followed u for a long time and u are one of the big dogs now! Keep after it!
The Edelbrock heads that ran 3.9 in the eighth are standard pushrod location heads with a decent 340 cfm port job.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I understand....sorry!

GTO George
It's okay George. I understand that you two are like oil and water. But I would rather hear you talk about what you two have seen and done. Not just you two fighting all the time.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
The Edelbrock heads that ran 3.9 in the eighth are standard pushrod location heads with a decent 340 cfm port job.
One of the nice things about the Ehead is the fact you can get them fairly cheap. That and you don't have to buy a ton of other parts to use them .

Old 04-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
If a 340 port can run in the 3.90’s (even though it’s only one set of heads) how quick would a 450 (or larger) port go.....remember the bigger the port the more you can SHOVE in there!

GTO George

Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
If a 340 port can run in the 3.90’s (even though it’s only one set of heads) how quick would a 450 (or larger) port go.....remember the bigger the port the more you can SHOVE in there!

GTO George
That kinda sounded dirty !

Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Suspended

Quote:
That kinda sounded dirty !

GTO George

Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Bingo........DAMN you're GOOD! That race started on Friday (timed runs) and because of the Rain it lasted in-till Tuesday! A lot of weather changers that weekend with the rain and all. Actually i had it running in the 11.0's (first round Saturday).....tuesday was hot! It was 1992, the first year for the Delay box!
OK back to the Muppets!

GTO George
I ran Division 3 points from 89 -92. In 92 made it to the qtrs at the Div 3 finals and thank God I lost on Sunday because we were the last pair to go down when it started drizzling on Sunday and I slid thru the beams. I was 'done" with the whole points BS. Race all year at one Ahole owned track to get a chance at a race at the end of the year that paid less than your weekly payouts...

Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
Wish in one hand and chit in the other and see which one gets filled up first!
Are you talking about the FACT! That you or Kinsler has still yet to run faster than Fulton in the 1/4? And according to Bill,he did it on 7 cylinders more or less.
Heck LJ you had a guy tow his car ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MILES TO RACE YOU!!! I spelled it out so it's not a typo.... And you had excuses for him.

So were you wishing in one hand and.............

I say you,Billy,Brian,LJ ,Fulton,Robin show up to one of the throw downs in Tulsa pay your entries put the radials on the cars and race for $25k to win like Kendal did last October....and my homey didn't do to shabby with his bbc powered muftang may I add!

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.854@160.12 in Brainerd MN 7/2024
Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
One of the nice things about the Ehead is the fact you can get them fairly cheap. That and you don't have to buy a ton of other parts to use them .
I agree. It's the only commercially available off the shelf head that sells complete for $3195 and has three second eighth mile potential. It's also the only aftermarket Pontiac head that's available with free shipping... I'm bewildered by all the hate. Seems like an incredible deal to me.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I ran Division 3 points from 89 -92. In 92 made it to the qtrs at the Div 3 finals and thank God I lost on Sunday because we were the last pair to go down when it started drizzling and I slid thru the beams. I was 'done" with the whole points BS. Race all year at one Ahole owned track to get a chance at a race at the end of the year that paid less than your weekly payouts...
Last division race I went to I got hear a Nhra division final I ran in at Gainesville. The division director told a group of us that we didn't matter. He said they only needed to run one race a year ( Gator nationals ) . The rest of the year was really a waste of his time . That was in 2000 . That was the last time i raced at A Nhra track. That may change this year. The only tracks around here now are Nhra tracks now.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

GTO George
Not sure.....maybe we can figure this out. How much do your heads flow and how fast do you go?