Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-28-2018, 03:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the end it was a little surprising to me how easily the top of engine stuff went on. The 90123 intake gaskets are definitely more appropriate for my heads than the ones I had before. I always try to use factory stuff where possible so I was going to put the intake back on with the central studs. In the end, though, it lead to several hassles and since I had a new set of ARP intake bolts in the end I just used them

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-27 17.03.57.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	483978   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-27 17.04.12.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	483979   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-27 17.09.07.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	483980   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-27 21.25.31.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	483981  

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 05-28-2018, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My best "fun" of the evening came when I went to put the rubber donut washer in between the timing cover and intake. Since the intake was already on and the timing cover I just loosened all the timing cover bolts and snuck it in there. Of course it slipped out.

Yup! Time to take off that oil pan again. So I take off the oil pan. It's empty. OK. It fell and rolled. I search the place. Now I'm starting to freak out a little with visions of it holding a valve open or being some other weird place. Then I start shining a light into the block coolant passage holes. Sure enough, there that little sucker is. Right down near the bottom front snuggled up against #1 cylinder bore. Somehow, even though they have been unavailable for years around here I found a wire coathanger. Another fifteen or twenty minutes and it's in my hand and I'm putting the oil pan back on. I hate using extra RTV but this time I broke down and put a dab behind the donut before putting the timing cover back.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that old hoist hasn't gotten any better from sitting outside for six months. It leaks down pretty fast. Installation took some time and (I maintain) some divine protection. As I was shoving the crane to move the engine block, I was actually trying to shove over the screw type car jack which was holding up my transmission (and had been there the whole time) with one of the two legs of the crane. Took some time to find out that stuff wasn't lining up because the trans was desperately trying to fall off the jack but it was too high in the tunnel so was sitting cocked.

Anyway...

So, there it sits. Engine to tranny bolts and engine mount bolts are in. Everything else is for this eventing.

Last night

Seeing it in the light of day, it doesn't look so bad. That tattered but clean thing gives it a Roadkilly vibe. Never would have done it on purpose but I'm not displeased. If I got all the gaskets right who knows, it might even stay kinda clean

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-28 00.35.31.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	483982   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-28 09.20.42.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	483983   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-28 09.20.53.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	483984   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-28 09.21.15.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	483985  

Sam Agnew

Old 05-28-2018, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Sam, in regards to painting the motor, there are auto body shops there and bulk paint suppliers , can't they mix you some Enamel color that's close?

Good to see the motor back in the boiler room!

That Battery/ Alt harness needs some work there Bro!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Hey Sam, in regards to painting the motor, there are auto body shops there and bulk paint suppliers , can't they mix you some Enamel color that's close?

Good to see the motor back in the boiler room!

That Battery/ Alt harness needs some work there Bro!
The harness looks better when it's.. um, mostly hidden by the alternator. Yeah, wires. Cars would be better without them!

I'm sure someone in the biz (say a body shop) could get that done. But the language challenge always hits you when you walk into a place and try to ask for something "unusual". It's good enough.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Old 05-28-2018, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have done an awesome job on this in spite of the conditions you're in. I look forward to hearing how start up goes and wish you the best.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 05-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought for sure you would have painted it all before the install?

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pulled an all-nighter. Broke in the cam around 3:15am. I'm sure my neighbours all hate me now but no one was brave enough to tell me to shut up. Wheels on and dropped down off the jack stands around 6am. Still need to install the bonnet - er, hood. Six months of sitting on jackstands in the humidity was not a friend to my brake disks. Huge thick coating of rust on them. Wheels were locked solid. If it was a Honda, not a Pontiac, I probably couldn't even have gotten it moving. Not sure if it will wear down with use. Ten minute test drive saw it get quieter but still quite loud and pulsingly grabby.

My friend who I brought along to help me with the cam breakin and the bonnet install finally quit around midnight. Can't say I blame him. I had all kinds of wiring issues because electrics hates me and the feeling is mutual. Managed to pull out the earth wire and spend a long time trying to figure out why nothing would turn on (finally bridged the positive post on the starter to the body and got nothing - that told me I had no earth). Managed to try cranking it over with no coil wire installed.

Managed to get it running only to start chasing a really loud clatter. Sounded like lifters but really loud. After it didn't go away in thirty seconds I took the valve covers off. Started doing some random lash adjustments (loosen all half a turn, tighten all back and then plus half a turn more, etc.). Nothing was helping and I was starting to doubt it was lifters but - dang! - it sure sounded like lifters. Got smart and actually backed off everything on base circle and found contact by hand then added 3/4turn. Did this in two different positions. Success! I had set the lash before I sealed it up but clearly I foobarred on one or more of them.

Finished breakin time of 20 minutes just over 2000. 2500 was getting really pretty noisy. I didn't let it idle.

After that, changed oil and filter, started up and did basic timing plus idle speed.

Engine seems pretty tight when heated up. It runs fine, and it isn't overheating. But the starter is definitely not wanting to turn it over quickly. Well, if you keep into it it eventually starts spinning faster. Runs fine (haven't run it hard obviously). Spins turbine smooth now. So much better. Didn't see any glitter in the oil that was draining when I did the 20 minute change.

Gotta get some petrol in it (very close to empty) and the bonnet on. I'll drive it for a week and see if the disks sort themselves out. Otherwise might need to get some new disks. Sure hope this build stays together and breaks in properly.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats man, I've been rooting for you!

Hope everything is OK

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 05-29-2018, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, all the time I was doing the breakin I was having to jump the car to start it. Went out to drive to work and nothing but clicks. Amazing what a new battery will do for you, eh?

Car running great. Brakes not in a hurry to sort themselves out...

Sam

Sam Agnew

Old 05-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So the balance seems close? Seeing how it was a long distance combo balance!

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 05-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WooHoo!! Excellent ... great to hear things are going well so far.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
So the balance seems close? Seeing how it was a long distance combo balance!
Well, I won't be revving it to the moon until another few hundred miles and another oil change. But yes, the engine is very smooth. Smoother than I have ever known it. Seems very close to spot on, but I've never driven a zero balanced Pontiac. I would say modern-feeling smooth.

Thanks so much again, Paul. You stuck your neck out to help me in a very difficult assignment. I knew you would be the one to help me on this. I can't say thank you enough!

Sam

Sam Agnew

Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome...glad it's running!....smoothly

Old 05-30-2018, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats, Sam. I've watched this thread from the beginning. Awesome job. I can see it was a difficult undertaking. (Especially the rebuild in your house as opposed to a garage)

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 05-31-2018, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So, in case any of you were interested. Here's the idle with my 455HO .030 over with that 702 Voodoo cam.

https://youtu.be/FqxBFCdZsJI

I can tell you one thing. I was out last night after I properly redid all the valve lash. I went to the one road I know in town that is reasonably big and empty. This engine now has a LOT more top end than before. Obviously I didn't go full effort but a LOT more.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Old 05-31-2018, 02:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So I have this loud tick. But then I also have a large exhaust leak at the downpipe flange on the passenger side. Why can't it be two bolt like the drivers side? Anyway... It may well be that the tick and the leak are one and the same. I'm hoping so.

https://youtu.be/GuKw9rZBzPU

Cut open the breakin filter. Not a trace of glitter. Looks very good to me.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Old 05-31-2018, 02:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And finally, because I'm always a little disappointed when there's no rev, a walkaround plus rev. Just try to ignore the ticking...

https://youtu.be/FMHfijwcI1Q

Sam

Sam Agnew

Old 05-31-2018, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sam, congrats on getting it back together and running!
Has to be an awesome feeling, especially with all the hassles of being over there and no real help.

Awesome TA by the way.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-31-2018, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds pretty nice to me. Can hear the ticking, but doesn't sound very dramatic. I think you've done great to have that thing buttoned up and running already. Not surprising you might have to chase down a few small sounds.