Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is unfortunate that Keisler cannot get their act together and deliver on their marketing claims. They were offering a value proposition that differentiated them from other vendors in that they modified the TKO transmissions for better fit. Also the RS-600 and SS700 claim to also be 'no cut/modify' installations. Movig to another vendor to obtain a standard TKO will definitely require floor pan modifications. My guess this is part of the reason David stayed w/Keisler. Go find the thread from Phil ( 6567GTO ) where he put the TKO in his 65 GTO from another vendor. He added a patch panel to the trans tunnel.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post
It is unfortunate that Keisler cannot get their act together and deliver on their marketing claims. They were offering a value proposition that differentiated them from other vendors in that they modified the TKO transmissions for better fit. Also the RS-600 and SS700 claim to also be 'no cut/modify' installations. Movig to another vendor to obtain a standard TKO will definitely require floor pan modifications. My guess this is part of the reason David stayed w/Keisler. Go find the thread from Phil ( 6567GTO ) where he put the TKO in his 65 GTO from another vendor. He added a patch panel to the trans tunnel.
That is exactly why I wanted the RS-600, or at the very least The Keisler modified TKO. I have done some checking on the American Powertrain website and they advertise their case is modified for nocut/minimal cut, "Transmission Streamlining - For a great, no cut/low cut fit in your tunnel". I have sent them an email to get further information and I am waiting their response. They also claim to have their own shifter so the stick is in the original position for the console, "AP Revolution Shifter Mechanism - Original 4-speed shift position". So I thought they might be an option to Keisler.

Dale

Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm pretty sure the only thing Keisler does is knock about 0.2" off the shifter mounting pad and remove the torque arm boss. You can get a shifter that locates the handle just about anywhere you want.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If anybody has an unmodded TKO I'll be glad to compare measurement with you.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, here is a stupid question I just thought of while looking at the pictures from others that had to modify their tunnels, will the stock carpet, like the ones sold by PY, fit the bigger tunnel without pulling away from the sides? Or, is it going to require a custom made carpet so it will fit the tunnel and cover all the way to the walls? I am sure there are others that have already had to answer this.

Great job so far David, I have been following this for months because I am interested in doing the same. Your job is a lot harder since mine is already a 4 speed. But watching you do it has helped answer a lot of questions. Thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us. I am also glad you shared your troubles with Keisler and their reliability since I was very interested in their RS600 before they took it off of the market.

Dale

Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced my carpet a few years ago. Some inches had to be trimmed at the doors for it to fit.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you get your carpet from PY? If you had to trim some, then hopefully there would be enough to cover the larger tunnel and still make it to the edges.
dale

Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Pontiac engineers put the original Dearborn tranny in on a 7 degree angle to get it to fit without cutting the tunnel. I have heard of one guy putting a tremec in a corvette at a 7 degree angle to keep from cutting the tunnel. But then he had to bend the shifter 7 degree to bring it straight up.
Just a thought.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff originally from Classic Chevy 5 speed is now a founder over at hurst-drivelines.

Good writeup on 67 GTO Tremec install, including side by side size comparisons, tunnel mods, etc;

"I still have to get new carpet because the new hole is in a different place, and because the tunnel is actually bigger now, the carpet pulled away from the door sill plates about an inch on each side. "

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/?page_id=1677

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have delt with Jeff in the past,great to work with.Tom

Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisk View Post
Did you get your carpet from PY? If you had to trim some, then hopefully there would be enough to cover the larger tunnel and still make it to the edges.
dale
The mfg'er was ACC. I don't remember where I got it. I try to get my stuff from PY and suspect that is where it came from. I also replaced the factory sound deadening and a couple of other things so PY was probably the vendor.

I'm going to get the car completely back together and see how the auto trans shifter hole in the carpet lines up before I worry too much about whether I have to replace the carpet or not. I'm going to be more concerned about the mechanical end of the install.

I get back from Chicago Tuesday afternoon and hope to get back under the car and resume trying to remove that driver side dowel.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisk View Post
OK, here is a stupid question I just thought of while looking at the pictures from others that had to modify their tunnels, will the stock carpet, like the ones sold by PY, fit the bigger tunnel without pulling away from the sides?
I have a Keisler-modified TKO600 in my '67 GTO, I still had to cut my floor, but the carpet that was in the car still fits just fine as does the factory console. The shifter fits in the console hole better than it did with the stock Muncie.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The carpet is going to depend on how you modified the tunnel and if your running a console or not. The ACC carpet I ordered did not fit in my car with my Modified tunnel but I am not running a console, I will be brining it to someone for a custome fit.
As a side note I checked the run out of my scatter shield today. I am building a new motor so I had the luxury of checking with just the crank installed in the block with the scatter shield installed. So very easy, took about 15 min max! Mine was out .017, ordered Robbmc
.014 dowells. Tack welded some all thread to the old dowells and used your tool Dave, worked great!

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT WHORE View Post
The carpet is going to depend on how you modified the tunnel and if your running a console or not. The ACC carpet I ordered did not fit in my car with my Modified tunnel but I am not running a console, I will be brining it to someone for a custome fit.
As a side note I checked the run out of my scatter shield today. I am building a new motor so I had the luxury of checking with just the crank installed in the block with the scatter shield installed. So very easy, took about 15 min max! Mine was out .017, ordered Robbmc
.014 dowells. Tack welded some all thread to the old dowells and used your tool Dave, worked great!
So it was out .034 divided by 2?

Hmmmm. I didn't think about simply tacking the all thread to the dowel. I may do that if quickly threading the hole I have drilled doesn't work....

It's great to have so many people and ideas to draw from......thanks PY!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes .034 divided by 2.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just got my Tremec TKO 600 from Hurst Drivelines. It has the Hurst Blackjack offset shifter. Doesn't look all that different from the Keisler unit I bought and sent back last year (for the RS that never materialized). I was talking with a guy at Tremec and he said the modifications Keisler does to the tranny voids the facotry warranty, and so Keisler had to step up with their own warranty if there are issues.

With respect to carpet, I had previously ordered ACC carpet UNCUT so that I could customize the fit to accomodate the Tremec panel and the insulation I'm going to put under there (b-quiet heatshield + dynamat dynaliner). There's a real good Jeff Lily restorations article about this somewhere out there ont he web - I printed it out for reference. In the article, they did the carpet install in a 442 and it came out looking super nice.

This is a great thread, David. Thanks for sharing your experience and leading the way for the rest of us that want to do this mod. Hope you are rowing gears very soon...

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods

Last edited by GTOGreg; 04-25-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Greg.
I hope to get back under it tonight and get that dowel pin out and the offset pins in.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Success pulling the driver side dowel. I bought a new tap (ruined the other one....) and drilled the hole in the dowel a bit deeper. Since I wasn't able to drill straight in the end of the dowel I didn't want to risk drilling into the block so I was conservative with the depth. I carefully threaded the hole and set up my puller. The all thread was at an angle (hole wasn't straight....) but as I tightened the nut the all thread straightened up and when it was straight with the dowel you could suddenly see the rod start sliding out of the socket....the dowel was moving out. The sides of the OEM dowel were so shiney they looked polished.....I'm taking that as meaning it was somewhat tighter than the passenger side dowel. I cleaned each hole well and put a little oil on the new RobbMc offset dowels and installed them. .007 is pretty slight and I think the offset lines up with the engraved part number on the dowel lip. That's the way I put them in anyway. (I'm going to verify that with an email to RobbMc) I left them loose until I re-installed the motor plate, flywheel and scattershield and then tightened the allen bolt securing them in the block. I tried to check the alignment again but couldn't get a repeatable number, supper called and these computer operator arms decided enough was enough so I'll look at it fresh tomorrow and see what's fighting me this time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pin2.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	282850   Click image for larger version

Name:	robbMc.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	282851  

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you happen to notice if there was a freeze plug behind the passenger side? Mine had one and I was glad that the grease method failed me on the drivers side. Otherwise, I'm sure I would've pushed the plug into the oil passage near the filter. Instead I used your method.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I'm told the 4sp cars have some sort of advantage in room, but find that hard to completely believe. I wonder if the difference is that one has a shifter "porch" and one doesn't? A side to side comparison between the T400 and the Tremec shows not that much difference. The Tremec is square and that'll be the problem.
I have been reading this with interest for a while now and ran across David's post above. I put one of the Kiesler TKO-500 5 speeds in my 64 GTO convertible (which is an original 4 speed car) about three years ago. I did no cutting on the trans tunnel at all. I used a ball-peen hammer to do some massaging where the top rear of the shifter tower is - maybe about 3/8". and then it was only to the rear and passenger side of the tower. Other than that, it fit in with plenty of clearance.
The only other mod I had to do was the trans crossmember. I bought a new stock one. On convertibles, the frame rails are boxed and there is a little shelf along each rail where the crossmember sits. The crossmember mounts using a rubber insulator cup affair and there is no room to move it back like is needed. I left off the rubber insulators and cups and drilled two new holes on each side, then bolted the crossmember directly to the shelf. It probably made the trans about 1/8" lower in the back, all else being the same.