Old 03-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
Also, what did you find with your power steering issue where you were getting very little assist?
Funny you ask. I really just left it alone and it didn't bother me all last summer. I've had the car out twice now this year and It is getting on my nerves. I need to research it a little and come up wth a fix.

Thanks for the compliments.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 01-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Suspended

Question

What happened to all of your build pix and website link Sez "404 Not Found" here http://www.akvalley.net/~ss/1966GTO.html

Reason for my Q was I remember some of your GR8 GTO build info & pix from the past...

Old 01-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
What happened to all of your build pix and website link Sez "404 Not Found" here http://www.akvalley.net/~ss/1966GTO.html

Reason for my Q was I remember some of your GR8 GTO build info & pix from the past...
The site that I hosted all my photos on in the past no longer exists. They were sold out and kept it running for a while, but the new company somehow managed to make doing business with them very tough. I had an entire website on their server. I have since switched to Comcast but only part of the site has been moved over. I typically haven't had spare time to rebuild the entire site. The new site is here: http://home.comcast.net/~sixspeedss/ The homepage looks the same, but every single photo link needs edited to point to the new site and all photos need to be put somewhere.

I have since hosted some photos on photobucket. It is relatively easy, but not really in any order. If you need a specific photo, let me know, as I still have every one of them. I would love to say I somehow will have the time to put all the photos that were lost. Unfortunately I cannot edit any of my posts to re-insert the pictures.

Not much has changed on my car in the last two years since this thread has been updated. I've been building a 461 for the car, but that process has been slow due to my involvement in many other activities. Almost everything is bought (including KRE CNC ported D-port heads), the machine work is all done and assembly has been started. I am on the fence about induction, as I really wanted to run the tripower, but I think at my level it will not make the power I want. I may build it with the trips anyway and then dyno with the trips and/or a single plane intake and a single 4 bbl. I plan to dyno the engine before it is installed in the car as well as chassis dyno tuning after it is installed. I dyno'd the car (with the tired 389) last spring and made a whopping 197 rwhp

I was trying to upload the video of the best run to PhotoBucket but somehow I can't embed it here. I will try later when it is visible in my recent uploads page.

I also have been trying to decide what transmission and rear diff I will be running with the new engine. I'm pretty well decided on a Strange S60 rear, but on the fence whether I want overdrive with 3.73 or 3.90 gears (not a big fan of the TKO shifting) or just run a Richmond 4+1 and maybe 3.23 gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
I just went through this entire thread, again, from start to present. Man, oh man you've come a long way. I love the stance and I'm looking to get the same from my '67. Heck, I'm wanting poverty caps, now! How's the handling with your current set up? Also, what did you find with your power steering issue where you were getting very little assist?
The cam inside the PS pump had a small hairline fracture, causing the pump to lose pressure as it was building. I had a local shop test it (zero pressure - I thought it had at least some), and when they tore it apart they found this tiny crack and were certain it wasn't any fault of mine. As a matter of fact you could only see the crack if you tried to spread it apart. It was invisible to the naked eye otherwise. IIRC it was a working pump before I rebuilt it, but sometime sheet happens.

The car has been driven a good bit in the last few years and the steering is perfect. As a matter of fact the entire suspension is great. Not a squeak or rattle in the entire car, stick like glue in the bends and stops great. The real crime is that the engine has no where near enough power to get me in trouble in the twisties. The front tires are badly worn on the outside and probably due for replacement. I think the tires are the weak link at this time, only to get worse by the near future of added horsepower.

That cam has made it to my automotive shelf of shame - where all the broken engine parts from the years of abuse on my vehicles are on display. There are a few bent Chevy connecting rods, shattered BBC piston, a Broken BBC connecting rod, part of a broken BBC crankshaft, a sheared SBC distributor gear (roller cam), and now this lone Pontiac part

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 01-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this is revisiting a 3 year old post from Paul, but I posted this in another thread and thought it was worth adding here for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Did you do any measurements before you changed out everything? Height?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Grrrs View Post
With the discussion about cross-member height, I decided to go measure my car. My car sits on Global West lowering springs at all four corners, front spindles and control arms are stock GM, rear LCAs are Global west. It sits pretty low compared to other GM A bodies around the area. I like 'em low.

My front wheel well center is 23.75" from the ground on 225/60-15 BFGs (with moldings)
My cross-member is 4.25" from the ground
My front pipes are 4" from the ground (Magnaflow complete kit - lowest part of the car underneath)
My rear wheel well center is 24.5" from the ground on 255/60-15 BFGs (with moldings)

I drive my car like a regular car and never really worry about bottoming it out. As a matter of fact it did bottom out one time ever when I parked on the street in front of my parents house and I didn't want any of it on the street, so the curb sort of high centered and scuffed the exhaust. Never have I had the car bottom out when driving since I have upgraded to the GW springs and a good set of shocks. It used to bottom out with the Moog springs and junk shocks, but it was the tie rod hitting the sway bar and the top of the front tires rubbing the inner fenders. I have never bottomed out the front cross-member, ever.

My lowered 454SS pickup is much lower - too low to measure the front cross-member height. The front air dam is 2.75" above the asphalt. The cross-member I would guess is at about 3-3.5"" by eye in relationship with the air dam. With all the modifications I have performed to it, I have made certain all components are tucked up above the frame with the exception of the fuel tank (OEM tank in OEM spot, wrapped in OEM plastic shield). I do drive it more cautiously compared to the GTO when entering driveways/shopping plazas, etc, but out on the road I rarely have any issues with bottoming out. Sure if there is a dip in the road or a dead critter I slow down or try to avoid it. It also only has about 2" of suspension travel before it hits the bump stops - way less than the GTO. It has been this way for 15-16 years.

What I'm getting at is if you have plenty of wheel well space for the tires and correct offset for the wheels, I really don't see an issue with the crossmember at 3.5" -- if you drive it careful when entering driveways or going over speed bumps, etc. Matter of fact I'd love to get my car a little lower especially in the rear). I plan to revisit after I get my aluminum headed 455/new transmission installed and see where the front end sits before making any changes. I think my plan is a Strange S60 in the rear so I will have to see how it all fits before buying another set of springs. The S60 housing may be slightly different than the original 10 bolt.

This is probably the best shot I have of how it sits currently...

Just wanted to add my .02. (PurplePackFan) I agree you don't want the car dragging everywhere, but maybe you should drive it before making any big changes. Also make certain you have all components installed so you know the true weight and height. If your coil overs are adjusted all the way up I agree you need a heavier spring, but the 550# maybe too much. I think the stance as you show in the pics is perfect

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 01-03-2015, 12:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tod,
Your 66 still looks great!
Do you plan on going to the PY show in Lansdale this coming June?
I would love to check it out in person.
I plan on going with my 67 I think this year
-Dominic

Old 01-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tod, what are yo up to these days with that car? Last I remember you were going to pull the motor for some reason.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post
Tod,
Your 66 still looks great!
Do you plan on going to the PY show in Lansdale this coming June?
I would love to check it out in person.
I plan on going with my 67 I think this year
-Dominic
I plan to be there. I missed last year due to Kidney Stones. Otherwise I have been to rest of the P - Y Open House Events. I'd love to see your car too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Tod, what are yo up to these days with that car? Last I remember you were going to pull the motor for some reason.
Let's see...the last time I drove it (I think October) was the first time I got caught in the rain in the 6-7 years it has been on the road. I was at a friend's place and it wasn't supposed to rain until after midnight that night. I left his place around 9pm and as I pulled out of his driveway the sky opened up and started pouring. To make it worse the windsheild wipers decided not to work for the entire trip home (about 40 miles). I pulled off the PA Turnpike into a rest area to try to fix the wipers, but I didn't have much in the way of tools. Here is a shot of it while I was at the rest stop...

Well I was going to pull the motor because it was using alot of oil and not really running up to par. I decided to put that on hold for another year or so because I wanted to build something special and I knew my budget was going to probably double or even triple (I have a bad habit with Mission Creep), so I left the car all together and decided to just deal with it.

If you read my post above, I am coming along nicely now on the motor build. The car still runs/drives until the motor is finished/dyno'd. Then I will pull the car apart. I'm planning to repaint under the hood and the front frame when it is apart.

How about you - how's your car running after the engine swap?

Photo/video I promised above of the 197 horsepower Dyno run

A photo of the Monster tied down...

Click below for the video...

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tod, I had the same thing happen with my wipers several years ago. I had my car at a show about 50 miles from home & the wipers stopped working about 3 blocks after I left the show. Since then I rebuilt the heck out of both of my wiper motors. It was not a fun experience driving all that way in the rain without wipers. Jerry.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr1966 View Post
Tod, I had the same thing happen with my wipers several years ago. I had my car at a show about 50 miles from home & the wipers stopped working about 3 blocks after I left the show. Since then I rebuilt the heck out of both of my wiper motors. It was not a fun experience driving all that way in the rain without wipers. Jerry.
Any info on rebuilding the wiper motor? How bad is it to do? Are parts available?

I haven't even looked at it to see what is wrong yet.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tod, always carry a bottle of RainX with you just in case. As long as you're moving the rain rolls right off, so no need to run the wipers.

Helps keep the windshield clean, and the bugs don't stick as good when it's not raining.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was just fortunate to have a few spare wiper motors in my parts stockpile. Some of them were hardly used & I managed to combine all the best parts to make good motors for my cars. The one tricky part is the little plastic insulator that goes in the end of the motor shaft. If you don't have that & know where it goes, the motor won't work. Jerry.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr1966 View Post
I was just fortunate to have a few spare wiper motors in my parts stockpile. Some of them were hardly used & I managed to combine all the best parts to make good motors for my cars. The one tricky part is the little plastic insulator that goes in the end of the motor shaft. If you don't have that & know where it goes, the motor won't work. Jerry.
OK thanks for the input. I think I have a second motor at the minimum. So I'll probably give it a try.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 03-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally moving along on the motor...

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, buddy!!!

You WILL be part of the burnouts at the PY show this year!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmanmitch View Post
Yeah, buddy!!!

You WILL be part of the burnouts at the PY show this year!
I'm hopin'

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 03-23-2015, 01:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice

Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SWEET! Got any specs on the build? Are you keeping the 3x2's?

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 03-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tod, was it the wiper motor or the switch? Had both go on my GTO when I first got it. After the motor was replaced I found out the switch was bad too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
SWEET! Got any specs on the build? Are you keeping the 3x2's?
.030" over 455, eagle rods, studded mains, custom Wiseco pistons, fully balanced, KRE cnc ported D ports, Crower Solid roller lifters, rollermaster timing set, MSD dist + 6AL box, Hays flywheel, ATI SuperDamper (new/hardly used from another motor I had - sent it to ATI and was rebuilt and then balanced with this setup). All Clevite bearings, ARP fasteners, Hastings file fit rings, Melling Oil pump, Cometic MLS head gaskets, Canton RR pan + pickup, modified OEM windage tray. Just shy of 11:1 compression (IIRC 10.91:1).

I'm working with Gary Cygan at Cygan Speed Engineering. He has built many Pontiacs and runs a Pontiac powered Pro Mod '70 GTO. He has been helping me along the way and will dyno it when done. It is his choice for the camshaft, based on my needs. My plan is a completely streetable motor that makes a big fat torque curve. I want 475-500 lb-ft off idle and maybe 650 lb-ft or more peak. Peak horsepower is less of my concern.

The original plan was to run the trips. However I am way past what my original plan in terms of spending and cylinder heads. I may dyno with the trips and also a single 4bbl. Problem is I have an OEM cast iron 3x2 manifold and really don't want to port it (gasket match), yet I don't really want to buy an aluminum 3x2 intake either. My car is still together and driveable so to even look at the intake, I got to start tearing the car apart.

I may even decide to run EFI on it.

I had all the machine work done and bought most of the parts last year. I assembled the bottom end back in December/January timeframe. I run a small side business thru the winter months and it takes alot of my free time from about October thru February (as well as work a fulltime job). I have just been dragging my feet on this build. Life sort of gets in the way if you know what I mean. Now we are approaching spring and I really want the motor in and running for the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Tod, was it the wiper motor or the switch? Had both go on my GTO when I first got it. After the motor was replaced I found out the switch was bad too.
The car hasn't been driven since the wiper motor failure and I haven't even looked at it. It really wasn't much of a concern as the car rarely goes out in inclement weather. I may go down to the garage tonight and work on it a bit. I want to get my power windows fixed and may pull the doors apart. The 2 front power windows in this car are my biggest aggravation with the entire car. There isn't a battery in the car and it is up tight against the wall (driver's side). Plus my motorcycle is next to it on the pass side and if I move the car the bike has to go outside. I can at least tear into the pass side door though.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice to see the car is coming along Tod. I really enjoy the updates on the motor. Keep 'em coming.