THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Okay, I know the racing Pontiacs pic is way cooler, but this pic was driving me nuts.

Finally figured it out.

It is a Vauxhall Victor. Came out in '57, first year in the US may have been '58. Can't tell the year of this one, I don't think there were many styling changes first few years and Pontiac didn't sell them for long.

But I'm guessing the one in the pic was a '58.

Vauxhall was a British subsidiary of GM and the Victor was exported around the world. In the US they were sold by Pontiac dealers.

It was no sleeper. 1.5L 4 banger, 55 BHP. Top speed was 74 mph and could do the 1/4 in 24.5 secs.
That's pretty good 'Googling' right there. I couldn't begin to figure out what it was.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up "Tiger Tom"

Not sure if this has been posted BF, cool that its a Pontiac IMO

Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's one I never saw before, the Hurst vehicles lined up at IRP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurst cars circa 1968 - U.S. Nationals.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	336652  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
'63 or '64 Cat or Bonneville wagon?

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Quote:
Thank's Mike!

Yeah, I remember seeing that for the 1st time Imcan remember a few weeks ago.

Noting the '67 Eldo (1st yr) and '67 GP my WAG as to yr of photo would be 1967 or '68...

Anyone know date "for sure"?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
How about a cool thread with old pics, say the 8O's and older. I realize that the 8O's may not be that old for some but, in fairness, there are many younger people here too.

Anything goes as long as it is old, can be Pontiac related but does not have to be, car related, family related, business, scenic areas, or just about anything for anybody who just likes to look at old pics.

Please, no recent pics of old stuff, just older pics.

Here is one of the M/T Pontiac dragsters from around 1961 with an unknown cylinder head with non siamesed exhaust ports and canted plugs!

This looks like a '4O Pontiac.

Then, take a guess who these 2 may be?

Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 13 Speedworld Phoenix www.pbofallfest.org
Gotta hand it to Steve for starting this great thread!

Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta love the girls, the ELO t-shirt, and the flared 1/4's on the Bird (in that order).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1978 Firebird - Hush Thrush ad.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	336659  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a cool Pontiac Star Chief pedal car? I have all sorts of pics of these vintage pedal cars, but I never saw this one. The kid looks like he's trying to decide which one to drive. Maybe one's a stick and the other is an automatic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pontiac Star Chief pedal car.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	336660  

Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Thank's Mike!

Yeah, I remember seeing that for the 1st time Imcan remember a few weeks ago.

Noting the '67 Eldo (1st yr) and '67 GP my WAG as to yr of photo would be 1967 or '68...

Anyone know date "for sure"?
Alvin, couldn't figure out how you knew that was a '67 Eldo. Finally hit me, no rear quarter side marker light, right?

The pic file says "circa '68".

This pic was one of several small images on the cover of the '68 Hurst Catalog. I don't know when that catalog was printed, but I'd guess the pic was taken in '67 during the '67 Nationals (took place Labor Day weekend), or just before the start of the event or right after it ended since nobody is around.

'67 was the first year for the bridge across the track.

Makes sense to me that Hurst would have gotten that publicity shot when the bridge was brand new.

Maybe they even gathered the cars there after construction of the bridge, like maybe a celebration of the project completion. I don't know when it was completed, might have been months before the race.

The cars could have been used in '68 too but then the photo would have probably been too late to appear on the cover of the '68 Hurst Catalog.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great catch, I think that IS a 67 Eldorado, so the pic is most likely from 1967. Looking closely at the picture, it appears an event, most likely the U.S. Nationals, just completed (look at all the trash against the fence in the background).

Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Junior Star Chief body drop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pontiac Star Chief pedal car - production.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	336677  

Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This guy would kill to get a ride in a funny car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OJ in a funny car.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	336678  

Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1963 Pontiac - unknown history.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1963 Pontiac.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	336679  

Old 09-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another interesting one, I believe it was a developmental car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1980 Hurst Toronado.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	336680  

Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrierblue66 View Post
'63 or '64 Cat or Bonneville wagon?
IMO the wagon at the far end of the lineup is a Chrysler...front fender looks very much the same as my 1st street car, '68 New Yawker.

The car at the very end of the row appears that it could be a '65 Pontiac Catalina (based on the frt bumper & wheel opening design) OR a '66/'67 Mid-size MOPAR (based on the rear roof pillar) perhaps? (The car on the other side of the wagon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Alvin, couldn't figure out how you knew that was a '67 Eldo. Finally hit me, no rear quarter side marker light, right?

The pic file says "circa '68".

This pic was one of several small images on the cover of the '68 Hurst Catalog. I don't know when that catalog was printed, but I'd guess the pic was taken in '67 during the '67 Nationals (took place Labor Day weekend), or just before the start of the event or right after it ended since nobody is around.

'67 was the first year for the bridge across the track.

Makes sense to me that Hurst would have gotten that publicity shot when the bridge was brand new.

Maybe they even gathered the cars there after construction of the bridge, like maybe a celebration of the project completion. I don't know when it was completed, might have been months before the race.

The cars could have been used in '68 too but then the photo would have probably been too late to appear on the cover of the '68 Hurst Catalog.
Hopefully, wo sounding like a Dillweed, sometimes you just know what you know regarding model years...and I know you all understand that. I've always been a fan of 1st year (66) Toranados and (67) Eldos, so maybe that's part of it.

From the appearance of the crispness of the vehicles and the signage I deduced that this was @ the '67 IRP Nats. But that's purely my WAG. Perhaps Dennis Kirban, or other Hurst documentarian could shed more light on the image history and back story?
https://www.kirbanperformance.com/pr...K+%237000.html

Quote:
The Junior Star Chief body drop.
Mike that is a great "body drop" photo! Imagine seeing that as a kid - the way the built "your car"!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll agree it's a 67 Eldorado. Also included (with the shifter display) is one of the rare 67 Grand Prix convertibles like the one Mike Pemberton recently found, restored and sold.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 PM

Can anybody make out the front plate on that 1963 Pontiac? Looking at the way the rear tires are tucked in, I 'm thinking this is a Canadian model. And that two door sedan brings me back 40 years....1973. One of the guys drove home (I am way down east) a silver 63 two door sedan from Ontario. It was a hot car with a warmed up 327, four-speed, bigs and littles, and a hell of a rumble. Home long enough to give me visions I dreamt about (15 years old), and then gone again. The colour silver really brings out the lines in these cars!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This any better?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1963%20Pontiac2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	336683  

Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think the car at the far end may be the Hurst Hairy Olds (66-67) Cutlass.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 PM

I can't tell if it's an Eldorado or a Toronado. But, I don't ever recall hearing about a Hurst in either of them.