Old 05-21-2024, 09:46 PM

Default Instrument panel lights and tail lights - how to pull and fix the fuse block?

Hello all,

My 1966 Bonneville has had issues with the dash lights and tail lights from day one. At the end of last summer all the dash lights went out completely, no illumination, no high beam indicator, no turn signal lights, no warning lights.

I replaced all the instrument panel lamps with LEDs. Almost all of them were burned out, so I figured that would help. I got my turn signal lamps back and the temp light back, but thats it. I bought a replacement headlight switch and that didn't fix it. I got under it and started probing circuits. It looks like the line that provides 12V to the headlight switch for the tail lamps and IP lamps is dead. There is no power at the switch, and no power on either side of the fuse block.

Its the one in the lower right. The IP fuse on the left is also cold on both sides, but I think that may be the case until I restore power to the tail lamps fuse.

I pulled the 2 bolts out of the block and removed the bulkhead connectors from the outside, but it looks like there are connections on the top and bottom of the block and I don't want to go pulling on it and damage anything.

So... Is there a trick to removing the fuse block so I can figure out what is wrong with the tail lamp connection and maybe clean all the terminals?

Thanks!

1973 Grand Prix SJ (currently doing a rolling restoration)

Trying to find that "sweet spot" between Roadkill and Concours d'Elegance
Old 06-01-2024, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No trick, just remove the 2 screw in the corners of the block, and have the engine and forward light harness unplugged from the engine compartment side.

You will have little room to work with tho, unless you remove the entire dash harness, which is what's connected to the fuse block.

Many times items may fall behind the block and get wedged between the block and firewall, and short the connectors, but normally that condition gives instant-blown fuses.

No power might be due to an issue with the intermediate harness or a missing/bad ground.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be