Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 05-20-2024, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are some folks that swear by Sta-bil, others that swear at it!

The glaciers will again cover southern California (there is a cliche here, think about it) before I would consider using it again!

As to the brass floats (I got called away from the forum when I was posting my last post):

On "modern" (1931 and newer) floats virtually all that we found with leaks leaked at the solder seam. The older cylindrical floats I mentioned were spun. The spinning created a hardening of the brass, and if the floats were not annealed, they would, over time, develop vertical "fatigue" cracks. I have yet to solve this issue. Even my Dad, who taught me to solder, could not fix the vertical fatigue cracks, and Dad was good! In that case, find a company with metal spinning capabilities, and have new ones made.

There is a solution to new brass floats, and I have mentioned it here before. Rochester did NOT make the brass floats, just like they farm out the foam floats. There are two companies that I believe are still in business here in the USA that make floats; decades ago, we bought 1000's of floats from them. But at the time, they had a 1000 line item minimum. At my age, I am not going to invest that kind of money in brass floats for a 1000 each of two floats. Maybe some of you younger whippersnappers might consider it. They actually have tooling for many (would like to say most) brass floats clear back to the 1930's.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.