Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-19-2024, 12:38 PM

Question 421 oil pan

Hi All,

As part of my pump gas 421 engine build, (see link to post below) I want to replace my existing oil pan. I want the new pan to be stock, or at least stock appearing. Are all Pontiac V8 engine oil pans the same? If not, which type do I need for my 1966 WG 421 engine?

Brad

421 pump gas engine build:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=873816

Old 05-19-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhieb View Post
Hi All,

As part of my pump gas 421 engine build, (see link to post below) I want to replace my existing oil pan. I want the new pan to be stock, or at least stock appearing. Are all Pontiac V8 engine oil pans the same? If not, which type do I need for my 1966 WG 421 engine?

Brad

421 pump gas engine build:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=873816
If you want stock appearing, then use a pan with a front drain...the later ones (around '70) changed to a driver's side drain.

Old 05-31-2024, 08:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Lamnas View Post
If you want stock appearing, then use a pan with a front drain...the later ones (around '70) changed to a driver's side drain.
Thanks Lamnas, this is very useful information!

From some other posts I've read it appears that overall shape of Pontiac V8 oil pans are the same for all years, except for the location of the drain plug, which I just learned from you.

Much appreciated. Brad

Old 05-31-2024, 08:30 PM

The drain plug moved to the side in 1970.

In 1972-1/2 the baffled pans were introduced, under hard braking or left hand turns you don’t lose oil pressure as easily from the oil sloshing away from the oil pump pickup.

1964 and earlier had a slightly wider sump to accommodate the design of the sump baffle used. 1965 and later the sump became a touch narrower when the full-length windage trays were introduced.

Personally if the drain plug location isn’t important to you I would say definitely get the later baffled oil pan.

Old 06-01-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
The drain plug moved to the side in 1970.

In 1972-1/2 the baffled pans were introduced, under hard braking or left hand turns you don’t lose oil pressure as easily from the oil sloshing away from the oil pump pickup.

1964 and earlier had a slightly wider sump to accommodate the design of the sump baffle used. 1965 and later the sump became a touch narrower when the full-length windage trays were introduced.

Personally if the drain plug location isn’t important to you I would say definitely get the later baffled oil pan.
Hi b-man,

Great info! If I ran a 72 or later pan with the baffle, would I still be able to use the stock windage tray?

Looking at some of the parts vendors it appears there is good availability of the later baffled pans. If I were to buy a new repo, are there good ones, or ones to avoid?

Brad