THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:30 PM
Senior Chief

I'm all about the 18v DeWalt stuff, just because I started there. It would cost so much for me to move my whole arsenal to another brand or voltage that having one of my half-dozen XRP batteries rebuilt per year isnt a bad deal.

I inherited my dads 12v "utility" light forever ago. Holds a motorcycle battery in the metal case on the bottom, and the chrome housing/lens up top is about 8" in diameter. With an incandescent 1156 bulb and older batteries of the day, it would last 2-3 hours max. I went to a new style battery and an LED super bright version of the bulb. My math says it will go 26-28 hours now. Its a beast, and it should live just about forever. During a power outage, its unbeatable.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 05-14-2024, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
these are definitely something I didn't see coming.

I wonder though how many people are going to suffer hearing loss from them;
some of them are REALLY noisy!

(and I cannot recall ever seeing anyone using these noisy 18v(?) tools wearing any kind of hearing protection.)
Very good point. The Milwaukee M12 3/8 drive that I have is not too bad. But, the M18 1/2 drive is VERY LOUD. I wasn't really prepared for that but fortunately I only had to do 3 bolts and they all went very quickly, so it wasn't worth getting back up off the ground after I did the first one. But if you had to work with that for any length of time it would be a problem. Now that I know how loud it is, I'll always use hearing protection with it in the future.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share

Last edited by jhein; 05-14-2024 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:43 PM
Senior Chief

Still use my air tools and compressor. Looking to upgrade my 120v 30 gallon compressor on wheels I've had for 20 years to a 60 gallon 240v stand alone unit now that the shop is done. Also looking forward to using a sand blaster, which ain't happening without a compressor.

Any opinions on a good air compressor is welcomed.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:37 PM

Mostly all Ryobi tools here and are a time saver at my frequent junkyard visits. The only thing missing in the battery arsenal is a powered chisel with a pickle fork attachment. Work smarter not harder and cordless tools help you do that. I have a cordless lawnmower all the way down to a cordless inflator. The air compressor is like others have said to inflate tires and make noise.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just recently bought a 20v DeWalt set called Atomic, came with PowerStack battery and charger - kit.
1/2" ultra compact impact wrench and a 3/8" ratchet. $300 via HomeDepot

The only thing I don't like is that I didn't have them 40 years ago.
Just unreal small size , lightweight , and powerful.
Feel like they already paid me back just in a few weeks of use.
Taking stuff apart has never been easier.

The impact is only 450ft breakaway and 300ft tighten.
But it got up inside the rabbit hole on my 89 dodge van to take out the original oxygen sensor that had previously proven totally impossible to deal with any other way I had tried. And got it out.

Broke loose the axle nut on my Acura doing a CV axle replacement.
Made a lot quicker work on replacing the struts and using the spring compressor.

I switched to EGO 56v chainsaw and weed eater about 4 years ago.
When Ponyakr was still alive and doing all his testing.

Weed eater is a multi-head power unit for attachments .
Also have pole saw and hedger attachments.
This is great stuff.

Have different poles for the weed eater , one with blade and one with string.
I use the blade mostly , it doesn't cover me with clippings like the string does.
Never going back to gas on those things.

But I don't want a battery powered car unless they come down to about $3000 for a dependable used one.

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 05-14-2024 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those DeWalt tools have built in LED lights.
My EGO 18" chainsaw also has a LED light.

This new age battery stuff is almost imaginary.