Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-23-2023, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While everyone was watching football, I spent my Thanksgiving in the garage. It took me a little bit of trial and error but I ended up getting the cooler mounted. The Derale 33602 (9.75 in. x 6.25in) is a little on the small side, but it was as big as I could fit.

I originally tried to mount the cooler closer to the center of the car near the hood latch/horn bracket with the ports facing the passenger side.There wasn't enough room to run the lines with the headlight vacuum canister in the way, so I flipped the cooler so the ports faced the driver side and mounted it favoring the passenger side. I made little L-shaped brackets out of stock steel to mount it to the underside of the core support. I bent new steel lines that run between the a/c drier and core support and run along the bottom of the a/c condenser.

I thought I could bend the tubes in one piece with no splices, but I couldn't fish the lines around the radiator so I ended up splicing them under the condenser. I cut the factory return line right before I bent up to the radiator and spliced in my new return line from the cooler similar to how it's shown in the Olds diagram above. It looks a little clunky to me, so I may go back and see if I can refine it. The length of tube I needed for the clamp on the flaring tool limited how short I could make my tubes after the bends. I also probably need a couple tubing mounts to secure the new trans lines.

I discovered that I had my cooling lines installed backwards on the trans. The top line on the radiator was going to the bottom port on the trans and vice versa. That might have been part of my problem, so I fixed those when I put everything back together.

Anyway, here's where I ended up.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3408.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	623696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	623697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	623698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3419.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	623699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3421.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	623700  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)

Last edited by Verdoro 68; 11-23-2023 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2023, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice job - looks good - onto the next project!

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 11-24-2023, 01:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow are you a plumber by-trade...looks perfect

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 11-24-2023, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely not a plumber. I bought a coil of 25 feet of tubing from Summit and I have about two feet left. Like I said - A LOT of trial and error.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 07:51 PM

Nice work.

Playing with hard lines can be quite a challenge and you did a great job of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
While everyone was watching football, I spent my Thanksgiving in the garage. It took me a little bit of trial and error but I ended up getting the cooler mounted. The Derale 33602 (9.75 in. x 6.25in) is a little on the small side, but it was as big as I could fit.

I originally tried to mount the cooler closer to the center of the car near the hood latch/horn bracket with the ports facing the passenger side.There wasn't enough room to run the lines with the headlight vacuum canister in the way, so I flipped the cooler so the ports faced the driver side and mounted it favoring the passenger side. I made little L-shaped brackets out of stock steel to mount it to the underside of the core support. I bent new steel lines that run between the a/c drier and core support and run along the bottom of the a/c condenser.

I thought I could bend the tubes in one piece with no splices, but I couldn't fish the lines around the radiator so I ended up splicing them under the condenser. I cut the factory return line right before I bent up to the radiator and spliced in my new return line from the cooler similar to how it's shown in the Olds diagram above. It looks a little clunky to me, so I may go back and see if I can refine it. The length of tube I needed for the clamp on the flaring tool limited how short I could make my tubes after the bends. I also probably need a couple tubing mounts to secure the new trans lines.

I discovered that I had my cooling lines installed backwards on the trans. The top line on the radiator was going to the bottom port on the trans and vice versa. That might have been part of my problem, so I fixed those when I put everything back together.

Anyway, here's where I ended up.

WOW Nice installation.

GT

Old 05-11-2024, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! Very nice plumbing work Ken!

Dennis

Old 05-11-2024, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old, but a good thread. Nice pictures and installation.

After reading it I'll revive a subject often not touched upon, the operating temperature...

I noted this information from B&M in the link from post #4:

"Monitor the transmission fluid as the fluid leaves the cooler and returns to the transmission. Monitoring the returning fluid will give you an accurate indication of how efficient your cooling system is functioning.
A good operating temperature of an automatic transmission is 160º to 200º F as the fluid exits the cooler."

And also noted from B&M was the optional use of a cast deep oil pan for the transmission that can increase capacity allowing more cooling ability.

And then from this source, they state 150 degrees is considered the 'minimum' ideal operating temperature.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...erating%20temp.

Rhetorical questions and something to consider...

How many actually install a transmission oil temperature gauge and monitor it ? Can you use a trans oil cooler that is too big ?

I've used a larger size Earl's stacked plate cooler before (company link below) and considered it a bit large for my application, but also noting I ran an aftermarket deep pan with the extra capacity.
Often the transmission oil temp only ran a tad over 100 degrees when cruising around on the open road. The temp sending unit was located in the pan on the transmission.

https://www.earls.com.au/product-cat...oling-systems/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 05-11-2024, 01:18 PM

The temp question is a good one, I’ve always thought it makes sense to have a thermostat setup for all your coolers. Same reason the coolant system in your engine has one: faster warm up, getting to optimum temperature.

ATF seems to be but more forgiving, but I’d assume that the engineers designed the transmissions to function at a temp close to engine temp. The viscosity of ATF is of course quite a bit different at 50* compared to 100* compared to 200*.

I plan on using one of these for my C20:
https://www.haydenauto.com/en/produc...y-pass-coolers

Old 05-11-2024, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
I noted this information from B&M in the link from post #4:

"Monitor the transmission fluid as the fluid leaves the cooler and returns to the transmission. Monitoring the returning fluid will give you an accurate indication of how efficient your cooling system is functioning.
A good operating temperature of an automatic transmission is 160º to 200º F as the fluid exits the cooler."
Not what I'd expect. I'm not in a position to challenge B&M, but I'd have expected 170--200 in the pan, not in the cooler return-tube. Many modern cars have transmission temperature sensors on the valve body in the pan; the info is available to view using a scan tool, including cheap "dongles" that plug into the OBD2 connector.

It is entirely possible to over-cool the fluid with a too-huge transmission cooler.

Keep in mind that these vehicles had a maximum load rating--vehicle weight plus towing weight--and GM was prepared to warranty the transmissions with--in most cases--only the in-radiator trans cooler. Even if GM was playing the odds, and going cheap on transmission cooling, I see guys adding monster transmission coolers to daily-drivers and thinking they're doing some good when in fact the transmission fluid never gets to operating temperature.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where the temperature is being measured. Excellent subject.

From the internet, this is stated. But no mention of in the pan or not.....

"In a perfect world you want to keep auto trans fluid temperatures between 175 and 200 degrees F, although I wouldn’t panic with a real-world 150- to 225- degree range.
You don’t want to lean on the trans below 150 degrees, any more than you’d lead-foot a cold engine."

Similar but here it states where the temperature is measured:

TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE MEASURED AT OIL PAN OR SUMP:

150° F= The minimum operating temperature. Note: It is possible in low ambient temperatures to overcool the transmission with auxiliary oil to air coolers.
Oil to water coolers in standard factory radiators will normally not overcool a transmission.

175-200° F= Normal pan oil temperature operating range.

275° F= Maximum allowable oil pan temperature for short durations during long hill climbs.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 05-11-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Highest temp measurement location is the line out to the cooler. That is taking the oil coming out of the converter and sending it to the cooler. When I had a gauge on that line, the hottest I ever saw was about 225F. TH350 with 10" continental, 3.90 gears in 100F ambient summer day while driving in town. It would get hotter in town than it would during a outing at the dragstrip.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 05-13-2024, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

Installed a transmission cooler on my 1995 Lincoln Towncar 12 years ago (other 2 vehicles are manual transmissions) that came with a fan. Totally bypassed the radiator and have an adjustable fan thermostat in place. 99% of the time, the fluid never gets hotter than 140F. Zero problems. I only had the fan come on twice when I was stuck in traffic for hours with outside ambient temps over 100F with the a/c running. I think I have the fan set to 160F.

I noticed an immediate and significant change on how the transmission shifts with the cooler in place. When the engine would get up to normal operating temp, the fluid would hoover around around 205f and the trans would shift rougher from the fluid thinning out due to heat. With the cooler in place, the trans always shifts butter smooth regardless. At 30K miles, the fluid still looked brand new which was not the case before the cooler.

Installing the cooler also relived the engine of additional heat. If I'm going down a hill, I can watch the engine temperature drop down, even during the summer. Before the cooler, that never happened, even going down the Donner Pass in the middle of winter.