Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-12-2024, 05:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question IGNITION SWITCH ADJUSTMENT.

Hi,
trying to adjust my ignition switch on my 69 Gto,
can't seem to find a happy place where both accessory and start will work.
If I get the accessories working, I have no start, if I have start, I can't turn key far enough for the accessories to get power.
Is there someway for the rod to get bent out of shape, should it be straight, mine has a slight S bend straight above the switch itself. I've tried 2 different switches with same result.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The rod holder / lever up in the column might be worn enough to cause that.

To check unhook the rod from the switch and place the key in either extreme position, the move then key the other way while holding the rod.
How much can you move the key before the rod moves , does the rod movement track right along with the key rotation?

PS. This just came to mind, I have not messed with that type of switch in a long time so let me ask, is there more then one place on that switch for the rod to go into?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-12-2024, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve is probably speculating well.

IIRC, the rod is driven by a rack and pinion. These old photos show the pinion gear in mine was plastic. I think the end of the lock cylinder has a tang or slot that drives this gear when you turn the key:

The rack is a brass or bronze slider. I don't remember what the channel for this slider is made of, but might be part of the housing casting:

The length of the rod won't have any effect if, as you say, the range of switch adjustment allows you to make contact at both extremes.

If you are able to identify slop/play as Steve suggests, you may find the plastic gear either missing a tooth or being cracked... probably not what you want to hear, but the geometry of the mechanism makes it hard to explain your symptoms unless there is wear or a broken part involved.

Given the gear is plastic, it's more likely to fail than anything else in the mechanism, but this is my own speculation!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	628436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	628441  

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post: