Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think 20w50 would tend to help with the issues described, not make it worse. You must have some other stuff going on.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA455 View Post
It is a Q-jet.
Sorry, was first post in the morning and confused with another guy using a e-carb.

Old 09-16-2023, 04:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I would think 20w50 would tend to help with the issues described, not make it worse. You must have some other stuff going on.
That is what I thought as well and I think I went to the 20W50 as my though has always been that thicker is better but I'm not sold on that.

With the remnants of Lee here right now, the car will not be moving for a day or two.

Old 09-16-2023, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yes it very well could be. Like I mentioned back on post 8 I'd be doing a leak down test if it were mine. It's the only real test that will tell you the health of the engine inside and pinpoint where any problems may be.
Like I said, typically when you have blowby with oil pushing up through the PCV and crank case vent, it's a ring sealing issue. Not always, but typically. A leak down will give you a better idea.

If that's the case, it's really not a minor rebuild either. Short block will have to come apart. At a minimum a hone and re-ring will be needed and when I have them down that far it's steam rolls into just doing the whole engine and gets expensive quickly. If it has a bunch of miles I almost always find cylinders out of round, an overbore needed, new pistons.........you get the idea.
Very good advice here, my car did the same only smoked under heavy accel, ended up with a re-ring and a hone............and a few other things, adds up quick..............running good now.

Rich

Old 09-20-2023, 12:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Was finally able to put some time into the car.

Oil is now 10W30 and the cooling system is functioning like it should.

I put in a new PCV valve (just in case) and added the Restore. I know it takes a while to work so no report on that, yet.

The car was leaking oil under hard acceleration and I narrowed it down to the oil filter leaking so I was able to get under there and tighten it a bit more; it is not leaking now.

Now, under hard acceleration, the dip stick is popping out just enough to spew oil on the headers and head. So, that speaks to the issue that everyone has mentioned here already about the rings or valve stem o-rings.

I'm going to drive it a bit to see if the Restore does anything and hope I did not waste my money.

Old 09-20-2023, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Poor valve stem O rings will not make for the condition of pushing the dip stick out, your barking up the wrong tree with that one.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's crank case pressure pushing the dipstick out and usually a bad sign that ring seal has gone away.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: