Another picClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	379048

Old 10-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks awesome!

1970 Oshawa built 1 option Judge. 24 year restoration/upgrade project finally finished!

1979 Trans Am - low-buck drag car project for when I retire
Old 10-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile BVZ...

I'll have to dig it up but I was certain there was a block of options for engine codes on the sheet and YS was highlighted in yellow by PHS. Also...a friend of mine raced a '69 RA IV car and it was not until it went up for sale that I saw the PHS and is specifically stated "regular gas economy engine-no charge option" on it. Pretty sure it mentioned 2-bbl carb....but not sure on that. I seriously doubt it had been tampered with as this friend bought the car new from the Pontiac dealership where he worked in parts and had convincingly converted the car to RA IV specs with all new factory parts...so the 2 bbl thing would hinder more than help the sale of the car. Anyway...I'll get to digging! Greg Teeters just pitched a whole box of all the PHS paperwork he had gathered through his extensive dealings....dammit! I have several from a few controversial and/or rare cars. The "Royal '69 RA IV two-tone, the red '70 ragtop with TWO sets of PHS, Chuck's RA V '69 Judge...a factory program race car. Milt explained how all that worked when Chuck first found the car. Milt was the one who got the call when someone with one of those cars broke. They only went to "factory approved" customers...dealers or successful racers. Jess Tyree got the Carousel Red '68 Firebird that way. Just here to share info. I find all this very interesting....having been around "in the day".

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-13-2023, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCronkGTO View Post
Recently sent in request for my 69 Lemans optioned as a 2bbl 350 with A/C. There were 2 block codes for the 2bbl 350 automatic cars both had the UPC L30. They identified the wrong engine (two letter block code YU). However the PHS shows the 350 2bbl engine code of 343 which has the corresponding block code of XS (which is what the engine in the car has) and is also listed as an available 350 2bbl engine. Upon research of original sales order forms the 343 code (block code XS) is for the 350 2bbl engine car optioned with A/C. Furthermore the VIN on the block matches the VIN on the car. I don't think anyone "faked" this as it is only a Lemans. As someone mentioned humans make mistakes. Whether it be on the original entry or trying to read poorly made microfiche from 40 plus years ago.

I sent several emails to them explaining the mistake and never received a reply. Disappointed but not "freaking out" because it is only a Lemans. On the other hand if it were a very rare and valuable car and they got the engine code wrong I would be very upset.

Bottom line is the PHS has the correct engine designation they just "circled and highlighted" the wrong engine code on the engine sheet.

MarkC
Does anyone know this information regarding the XS vs YU engine codes to be correct? PHS provided a memo which indicates all the options and they listed the engine code as YU - likely because the car is a 350 2 barrel non-AC car. However, the engine is actually an XS - yes the VIN is on the block. Interestingly enough, the car also came with a TH400 which shouldn't have been in a non-AC or non-HO car. It's like they assumed it had AC or had nothing else on the shelf?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: work in progress
Old 09-13-2023, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The YU and XS codes were both used on 350 2bbl engines on A bodies equipped with an automatic transmission, AC did not change engine codes in 69. In the 69 production run the V8 small valve engines (all 2 bbls and the 360 horse 428) had a change to the valve seat angle (iirc from 30 to 45 degrees). XS is the early version and YU is the later one. They are otherwise identical.

1969 LeMans (2dr & 4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 ht & Judge ht)
1969 Cat (3 Cvt’s & 2dr ht)
1969 Ventura wagon 2 seat
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Bonnie Cvt & 2 wagons
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
1969 2+2 2dr ht (Canadian)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to north For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Early code and Late code sounds more logical than AC vs Non-AC.

70 GTO 455HO Automatic had Early code YA and Late code YC engines.
But I don't think the reason has ever been figured out on them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post: