Old 08-31-2023, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
The stock speakers have square magnets so I call them square speakers. And a while ago while shopping for an oem red dot am fm I was told that if I install more speakers than designed originally to a stock am fm radio,it will not last and that it only had 2 speakers 1 in front and 1 in back. That reason I suggested upgrading internals. I'm no expert on stock.stuff just trying to help
I missed the magnet part, they do make the 10ohm 6x9 repro and there are many later GM 6x9 like from 3rd gen cars that have round magnets, the ones I have to install in my 81 are later year round magnet 10 ohm.

What you were told about adding more speakers was correct assuming they are connected in parallel, or how most people would add additional speakers, they would just run additional wires from the amp +/- outputs to the speakers +/-, that would drop the ohms & damage the the amp. But if connected in series as shown in the above diagram, the ohms are doubled & that wont hurt an amp, if anything it could extend its life due to running at lower watts and temp. Raising ohms above what an amp is rated for isnt bad for the amp, its bad for sound but wont harm anything, most owners manuals for receivers/amps say to not go lower than the stated ohm rating but never warn about raising ohms.

I agree its best to upgrade to modern internals if you want to keep the original radio/look, or get a modern retro that does all that & still looks nice... some even say "PONTIAC" on the face. Or if you want to stay old school look but have a much better sounding system, buy a vintage 2 knob alpine, kenwood or clarion deck with RCA outputs & run an amp or 2 to nice speakers... or one of them pull out or face plate decks if your dash is already cut up.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 03:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
78w72, I understand Ohms law well. Just saying those old amplifiers don't like deviation. They even have a hard time when someone replaces a 10 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm.

GRD77, Best bet would be to send the radio out and have modern electronics put in it. Just tell them the speaker setup you intend to use. It will still be you original radio with modern internals. That way you can insure yourself a great sounding radio for the long haul.
With the value of the 70-77 radios (especially a red dot) I think I’d avoid modifying it. Just my honest opinion though and of course to each their own.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to bhill86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post
With the value of the 70-77 radios (especially a red dot) I think I’d avoid modifying it. Just my honest opinion though and of course to each their own.
I agree with your comment 100% however, if his thought was to modify the car to add a second rear speaker (modifying the car from stock), originality may not be a factor.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post: