Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-25-2023, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Engine Oil Dipstick and Tube Combinations

There seems to be several different dipstick and tube combinations. I wonder if anyone has put together a chart showing the correct lengths for various years?

Of concern for me specifically, is the 1964 thru 1970 years w/o air conditioning.

I have two short dipsticks. One is approximately 17-1/2" long and it does not have a black rubber seal in the cap at the handle. It has markings for

ADD>: :<FULL - 6 QTS. - DO NOT OVERFILL.

The other dipstick is approximately 19" long and has a black rubber seal in the cap and is marked:

ADD : : FULL USE GM6041-M-QUALITY MS OIL.

I realize these combinations of dipsticks and tubes, also requires the correct oil pan and windage tray (or none) to be accurate. It appears the oil pan design changed for 1965.

Any information would be appreciated!

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 07-25-2023, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you do not need the tube section that goes inside the block for your 428 then the straight tube section you need was used from 66 to 74 and even was the same for these years if the car had AC.
The original part number was 9795830.

The dip stick used was 19 3/4” long for this set and it’s original number was 9793342.

A 428 would have had a tray and the internal block tube original number 546281 and was used from 65 to 72 when the windage trays where discontinued due to the switch to a baffled pan.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 07-25-2023, 03:38 PM
Senior Chief

Looking at the parts catalogs, it shows that all '66-'77 engines used the same intermediate tube pressed into the block. I realize that for the A/C cars, they just added another tube into that to extend the dipstick past the compressor and up above the valve cover. For the non-a/c applications, Ames shows one part number for '66-'67 dipstick and another for '68-'77. Since all these engines use the same intermediate tube, it's not clear to me what the difference is between these two dipsticks, but logically, they should both be the same length.

Here are pictures of the two dipsticks that I have. Can anyone identify them by the lengths and markings?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7373.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	616699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7374.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	616700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7375.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	616702  

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures