Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-23-2023, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 400 lube on RP cam with 1.5 rocker going give you 600 lift, I’d go with a 1.65 rocker that give you 660 lift. Definitely way to go and take advantage of 330 cfm especially and move peak hp up to 6000 rpm.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:34 AM

I ran that Road Paver from Dave for a few years. It's a nice HR cam.
464CI with HS 1.65s.
I used to shift it at 6500.
Made great power and had very nice manners on the street.

Since your car is a 65 GTO, IMO there's only one intake that belongs on it- Tripower.
I wouldn't have it any other way on a 64-66 GTO.
If it wasn't for the TriPower, I probably wouldn't be into Pontiacs at all.

Take a look at the new KRE Tradewind single plane.
You can take that thing out to 400CFM if you want.

1965 GTO (Black) TRIPOWR
464CI TriPower 4-Speed

1965 GTO (Blue) 3X24SPD
464CI TriPower 4-Speed
The Following User Says Thank You to 3X24SPD For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of intake testing, we had the opposite affect than what Steve C. posted. However we were using a 462 Pontiac so rather small compared to Steve's engine.
It was a bit over 10:1 and had Kauffman CNC ported Edelbrock round ports that were supposed to be his 330 cfm package. He also spec'd the hydraulic roller which was a 254/262 @ .050 on a 110 LSA. Lift was in the 600's with a 1.65 rocker.

We tried the RPM intake with and without spacers, the Victor and the Torquer II with spacers. None of these intakes were ported and were right out of the box. All intakes were tested with a 950 HP holley.

I thought for sure the single plane would be supreme but for what ever reason the best setup on that engine was the RPM with a 1" open spacer. It made best HP and had a better average torque curve throughout.

That engine was supposed to be Kauffmans 600hp and tq package according to Jeff. Well it fell way short of the HP and made just over 500 but it did make over 600 ft lbs. of torque. I think it was like 605 ft lbs. It was on a pretty stingy DTS dyno that was also used to test a bunch of engine master engines and was said to be more accurate. In the end neither single plane even cracked the 500hp mark that day. That engine just didn't like them at all.

Didn't matter really, the engine did perform in the car as expected which is what really counts, with a 4120lbs race weight it ran easy mid 11's at 116 mph on a small drag radial, mild continental converter and 3.73 gear, With nice little wheelies, and drove around on the street for years, was actually fairly docile to drive.

I really have never seen this scenario play out on a bigger engine though. Typically 500+ cubic inch engines benefit from a good single plane and on a street car with a small tire and engines of that size, softening the torque a bit below 3500 rpm isn't a bad thing. You'll already have more than you can handle most likely.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 06-23-2023 at 09:30 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

assuming money is no object, is there any reason not to go with a northwind and a 340 cfm port here? i dont want a wide port but other than that is there any reason to stay conservative on the port work?

Old 06-23-2023, 11:06 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
assuming money is no object, is there any reason not to go with a northwind and a 340 cfm port here? i dont want a wide port but other than that is there any reason to stay conservative on the port work?
You are 100% correct, I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t go that route, 340 heads, Northwind and RP cam with solid lifters tight lash and 1.65 rockers will be in the 635-650hp range on a 10-1 505 from my experience, great all around street/strip combination!

Old 06-23-2023, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac Derek View Post
You are 100% correct, I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t go that route, 340 heads, Northwind and RP cam with solid lifters tight lash and 1.65 rockers will be in the 635-650hp range on a 10-1 505 from my experience, great all around street/strip combination!
i am running comp 857's but i do have some isky ez-roll solid roller lifters laying around ... had isky add the edm holes and touch up the roller wheels and never used them since ...

Old 06-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
i am running comp 857's but i do have some isky ez-roll solid roller lifters laying around ... had isky add the edm holes and touch up the roller wheels and never used them since ...
The solids on the OF and RP camshaft are a win, Dave and me recommend that when possible, unfortunately Dave has more important things to be concerned about right now but im sure he would agree.
One other thing if you get over 2.3 port height on the Intake runners which most 340cfm heads are you get to a point where the T2 starts running out of room to port match without adding weld fwiw you can do it but your reaching the limits

Old 06-23-2023, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok it sounds like this is kind of an "all or nothing" deal, upgrade the heads, intake, cam, and valvetrain all at once or really don't bother. Lot of good info here and I appreciate all the responses.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Ok it sounds like this is kind of an "all or nothing" deal, upgrade the heads, intake, cam, and valvetrain all at once or really don't bother. Lot of good info here and I appreciate all the responses.
I mean it really depends on your goals, if you want another 100hp then yes absolutely, you could also run Daves biggest hyd roller camshaft 252-262 .660-.693 114
Because you are 505cid, once you have a goal and a budget in mind you can figure out the best way to get there!
So many knowledgeable and experienced people here know what works

Old 06-23-2023, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I mean it really depends on your goals, if you want another 100hp then yes absolutely, you could also run Daves biggest hyd roller camshaft 252-262 .660-.693 114
Because you are 505cid, once you have a goal and a budget in mind you can figure out the best way to get there!
Gotcha, I just meant I couldn't see pulling the heads this winter and then upgrading the cam next winter ... makes more sense to do it all at once.

Now for some really crazy talk ... would a procharger eventually benefit from the porting and cam change? My gut says yes - you can get the same mass of air/fuel into the engine at a lower boost PSI if you've got more port volume.

Old 06-23-2023, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Gotcha, I just meant I couldn't see pulling the heads this winter and then upgrading the cam next winter ... makes more sense to do it all at once.

Now for some really crazy talk ... would a procharger eventually benefit from the porting and cam change? My gut says yes - you can get the same mass of air/fuel into the engine at a lower boost PSI if you've got more port volume.
Yes, just look at boost like a multiplier, more power NA= more power procharged/roots/whipple/turbo etc

Old 06-23-2023, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Do it all at once. It has to work together. Pushrod length, spring installed height, etc.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Think you’d need a different cam if you went boost.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Exactly… just got to decide, that cam would be a definite. With port work…and intake.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure the road paver and some port work would scratch my itch for five years or so ... then maybe look at the procharger and a cam upgrade. Or a wide port 4.5 stroke build. Ya never know.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be aware!When you run solid on a hyd roller cam you are giving up about 8 degrees of duration and what ever lift it has less the lash you will be using.If you want to run solids get a tight lash solid roller cam!Tom

Old 06-23-2023, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree, if your going to do that just get a solid roller stick and be done. If you're buying a cam anyway and dead set on solid rollers it just makes the more sense.

What makes the most sense to me though is getting a hydraulic roller stick and reusing your hydraulic roller lifters that you know are good

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm sure the road paver and some port work would scratch my itch for five years or so ... then maybe look at the procharger and a cam upgrade. Or a wide port 4.5 stroke build. Ya never know.
70-80 hp jump. Or down road Wide port fully ported Victor, 505 (4.250 stroke ) 800 hp pump gas no problem. Even with a ported Northwind. and 1” spacer still able to get all under hood of 70 Firebird.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there any truth to the idea that the RPM prefers a spread bore carb and the T2 prefers a square bore?

Old 06-25-2023, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure about the rpm intake, but the T2 likes 4 equal sized throttle bores without question.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!