THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Good Advice, Post #39.

I still have LOTS of Holley Carb parts and Rochester 2BBL cores.

Probably will give the Rochester Carb Parts to one of my friends.
(The Holley Carb Guy who I have known since the 70s.)
I gave him 2000+ (Hot Rod/ Car Craft/ Super Stock type magazines over the last few years
because he still goes to the car shows/ swap meets. What he makes on the stuff is his.

Friends have taken away a lot of factory Pontiac engine parts over the years.
And I still have a 50 x 75 foot basement with a lot more car crap I will have to move at
some point.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Sell the parts you’ve been saving for the future when you come to the realization that you’re never going to use them. . . . .
. . .

Rather than trying to deal with selling things that let’s face it nobody really understands the value of, it usually ends up with the scrap man or in a dumpster.
Exactly. I’ll bet that tons of rare and valuable parts have ended up in the dumpster because if the person who ends up with them when you die has no interest in them, it’s the easiest answer.
Be realistic with your ability to take on any more projects. Wanting to build something and being able to do it are two different things. I know.
If someone else needs stuff you have but aren’t using, sell it.

JMTC.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Going through a divorce and having a 1200 square foot pole building, and a full basement, and a 2 car attached garage, was an eye opener for me. You know what I found out? It's just stuff, and most of it can be replaced. I hauled 3 dump truck loads of parts to the scrapyard that I had accumulated for years. I also scrapped 3 vehicles back then, and moved into a 1 bedroom apartment 8 hours away from my old home.

I now have 3000 square feet of storage, and I can't even come close to filling it, and have no desire to fill up every building at my new home. Looking back, I was hoarding, for no really good purpose. Funny how having to get rid of all that stuff by circumstances beyond my control, can change your views on "stuff".

The former owner of my home died of Covid at about 80 in 2020, every nook and cranny of all the out buildings were packed to the roof with "stuff". I saw in 30 days how hard it is to sell, and scrap all of this guys stuff. If nothing else it was a nightmare for his surviving family. It took thirteen, 40 yard dumpsters, after they had the auction, and a crew of volunteers working 7 days a week to clear the hoard out of this estate. The majority of the stuff was junked, only maybe 20% sold at the sale. Even at that, there is still a bunch stuffed in the rafters of all these buildings that was never touched, some of it is usable, some of it is just crap.

Remember your survivors when you think about someone cleaning out your hoard after you're gone. I've had to get rid of my parents stuff when my mother passed in 2020, and they had nowhere near what this guy had squirreled away.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-28-2022, 12:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

GTOSpieg, I am located in Houston- not to sure how far that is from you.

I’ve made A LOT of progress in the loft. Keep in mind- last week you could barely walk in the room. On Monday I took out about 20 bags of stuff I had been holding on to for no reason- that was the first filter.

Between yesterday and today I have about 10 more bags of things I just decided I wouldn’t ever use. Old suitcases, old battery powered tools, old lights 4th Gen seats that need to be reupholstered, and on and on and on.

Then the first step wast to put a brighter floor in. I found this for $1 sq foot at Home Depot and am very happy with it. It’s not as nice as the one I put in my house but I really just wanted something smooth.

In this pic you can see where most of my storage is as well. I really just wanted to get everything off the floor and on the shelves. I will start going through it bin by bin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4739693-40F8-4A1F-84AB-D5CF4C7645AD.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	604138  

Old 12-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

too bad it would be so hard to sell it as a "lot"...

Like here are all the parts leftover from a 68 gto restoration...take it all or none

Some guy out there needs a ton of parts.

The junkyards were supposed to get together to leverage a single daytabase to keep track of parts they stock. They never do because they are junkyards of course.

With a database and solving the logistics the sky is the limit I'm sure.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
In this pic you can see where most of my storage is as well. I really just wanted to get everything off the floor and on the shelves. I will start going through it bin by bin.
I'd make sure the tires dont have a ton of air in them. A friend of mine has had a few "spontaneously disassemble" themselves, its an eye opener. FWIW.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 09:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Made some more progress. Got the entire floor done, got the carpet left over from an autorama display laid out, most of what I don’t need is gone. I still need to clean off the mobile work bench in the middle so I can mount a drill press, grinder and band saw on it.

My wife won’t get rid of these old couches so I am going to order some very 70’s looking cushions for them and set up a big screen for auctions, movies, etc.

I still have to go through a lot of my stuff and filter out what I don’t need. I am thinking of using curtains (possibly even shower curtains) in front of the shelves to keep dust off of everything and to keep all the junk covered up.

Then I need to figure out lighting and a fan. I think I am going to take down the 4 small ceiling fans and put up one big one in the center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1A6298F-777E-496D-9FB6-BF1A7DFE287F.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	604202  

Old 12-28-2022, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past when I had to store stuff at my previous home, I only had a 2 car garage that I worked in, so I needed the floor space kept clear. My answer to the dilemma was to buy a used straight truck 20 foot cargo body and set it in the backyard. It already has an overhead door so it was like buying a premade single car garage. I just set it off the ground with solid 4 inch concrete blocks so it could breathe underneath. A Connex box would work in place of a truck body. That was just used for storage and it was 20 x 8, so I got 160 square feet of storage for under $500.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-28-2022, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

65GP I'm in NY so not really convenient to ship wheels...there must be someone closer to you that needs to relieve themselves of some Rally II's..... You're space is looking pretty cleaned up. I try to put as much stuff UP as possible. Like most I'm working in limited space.