Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-07-2022, 11:48 AM

Default Brake lines

Now that my motor is all working as expected (11.41 @ 122 mph), I feel that the brakes could do with a bit of care. I have a master power brake disc conversion on the front and a willwood 4 pot calliper system on the rear. The master cylinder, as far as I'm aware, Is a GM m/c with equal sized reservoirs. Both quite big and servo assisted, Should the front brakes come from the front pot or the rear pot and, obviously opposite for the rears?
Thank you in anticipation.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:25 PM
Boost Engineer

I would investigate putting a Power Corvette 4 wheel Disc Brake master Cylinder on the car. Equal reservoirs, equal apply pistons, and should bolt right on to your Brake Diaphragm on the firewall.

Tom V.

I run 4 wheel disc brakes on a 64 GTO with 9" rear.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 01:37 AM

Thank you for that info Tom. That is possibly what I already have on there but not 100% certain. The pots are both the same size approx 1 3/4 "- 2" cubed. The front reservoir has the hole to the piston at the front and the rear reservoir has it further back.
The issue that i seem to have is, because the master cylinder leans slightly back the front resevoir hole becomes un covered on hard acceleration letting air into the system. Therefore I have to bleed relatively frequently.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesupremo View Post
Thank you for that info Tom. That is possibly what I already have on there but not 100% certain. The pots are both the same size approx 1 3/4 "- 2" cubed. The front reservoir has the hole to the piston at the front and the rear reservoir has it further back.
The issue that i seem to have is, because the master cylinder leans slightly back the front resevoir hole becomes un covered on hard acceleration letting air into the system. Therefore I have to bleed relatively frequently.

That makes no sense. The master cylinder with never let air in the system. You must have the wrong M/C. Post up a pic of it.

Front port is normally front brakes with rear port for the rear brakes.

What is servo assist?

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:35 AM
Boost Engineer

The early cars I believe had some that were plumbed the opposite of what you mentioned, Chuckies 76ta.

A Chevelle master would be plumbed possibly different vs a Corvette master. Sounds like he has posswibly a Mount issue vs a reservoir issue as both are the same size.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2022, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm running C3 Corvette discs all four wheels. All four piston calipers. GM dual master cylinder equal reservoirs. Front to front rear to rear. Really no problem. But then Imine sits relatively level. Not the tilt I have seen on some GM applications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61Vent009.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	592508  

Old 06-09-2022, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesupremo View Post
The front reservoir has the hole to the piston at the front and the rear reservoir has it further back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
That makes no sense. The master cylinder with never let air in the system. You must have the wrong M/C. Post up a pic of it.
Post SEVERAL photos, including the interior.

There's no way the transfer ports from reservoir to cylinder should ever get uncovered.

In a disc/drum system, the larger reservoir always goes to the front (disc) brakes. The larger reservoir may be in front, or in the rear--but the larger reservoir always supplies the front discs. In a disc/disc or drum/drum system, it shouldn't matter

Old 06-09-2022, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm converting my '75 Firebird from power brakes to Wilwood manual and had to reverse engineer what the factory intended.

The power brake booster mounts to 4 studs on firewall and the MC tilts down in back to point at the lower hole on the pedal (4.5:1 pedal ratio).

Mounting the manual MC directly to the 2 upper studs on the firewall makes it level and pointed exactly at the top hole on pedal (6:1 pedal ratio).

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 01:33 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I'm not clever enough to know how to put pics on here but, I've owned the car for 17 years, when I first bought it it was drums all round so, the first mod was a master power brake system for the front end. I feel relatively certain that there was already a booster / servo on there. I'm also fairly certain that the kit had a new M/c so that would have been swapped over but still mounted the same. Then as I got faster the rears needed attention so have a wilwood 4 pot caliper system there. I don't recall swapping the M/C for this upgrade, the M/C has 2 identical sized reservoirs both about 2 1/2 inch cubed. It has the normal type GM lid set up. The brake pedal has always been a bit slow on returning once pushed, Not sure if thats relevant or not.