Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-12-2022, 01:48 PM

Default Harmonic balancer/timing cover/pulleys question...

So I'm going to look at swapping the 389 in my 66 Bonneville for a later 400. I know I cna get into issues with harmonic balancers and timing covers and pulleys... My question is this, can I take the timing cover, a new 6 bolt harmonic balancer (for a 66 389 or 67 400) and all my accessory drive stuff and bolt it to the front of a 1970 400? I read something about there being a small difference in crankshaft length. Is that gonna trip me up here?

I would really just rather unbolt the timing cover and brackets from the 66 389, clean it up, and bolt it to the 70 400 (with a new water pump and balancer) to maintain the pulley alignment without having to search for parts. But, if there is some reason it won't work I'd rather know now.

Thanks!

Matt

1973 Grand Prix SJ (currently doing a rolling restoration)

Trying to find that "sweet spot" between Roadkill and Concours d'Elegance
Old 04-12-2022, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no diff in crankshaft length.If you take the complete 389 front off and put it on your 400 your good.Mixing parts is here you can get in trouble.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post: