Old 03-27-2022, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I'd be interested in being the guinea pig on these if I could return easily if I weren't pleased.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283744648417

They appear to have the trim already attached. I'm afraid they might be made from unobtainium however.
somewhere in my memory I recall these repop grilles with trim are all one piece and the trim isn't removable? Or, memory's just cooked! you'd have to paint them to be correct though, what's with that shiny gloss black? or just photoshop work trying to make them look amazing and it got carried away with the shine

Old 03-28-2022, 09:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well they definitely took some sweet talking and coaxing but nothing terribly difficult so maybe there is a difference somewhere between what you guys got and what I got.
I did it all by hand, bend, check, rebend, recheck, etc.
All of the plastic is original by the way. In fact, I recall starting a thread asking how these things fit with original parts and got that answer about having to bend the radius. There were no serious complaints about getting it done and that's why I went ahead and bought them.
I would definitely be more than a little upset if they broke! Roger, after seeing the skill you have displayed in your resto thread I cannot imagine that the issues are anything that you are doing wrong. Maybe they are using a cheaper material?
OK Greg.
After reading this I decided to give a try getting my passenger side trim to fit and took a more methodical and very patient approach. I think it took me a couple of hours but it is acceptable now.
I tried to knead and stretch the metal very, very slowly and did that over and over.
With just the 2 vertical end screws removed, I used multiple layers of duct tape to hold the vertical end away from the plastic some.
I had to then remove the trim, pull the duct tape off and reinstall the trim to check my progress. Many iterations of doing that.
The whole time I thought it might break on me but it didn't.

Looking down from the top of the grille:

Looking up from the bottom of the grille:

So, I guess at this point I should by another driver side trim and see if I can have success with it. Not sure if I can or not but I think it's my best choice at this point.

Thanks Greg for sharing your experience on this. It helped me come at this with a different approach. You were obviously very patient and analytical with it from the start where I kind of rushed it, broke the first one and was left frustrated.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 03-28-2022, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
somewhere in my memory I recall these repop grilles with trim are all one piece and the trim isn't removable? Or, memory's just cooked! you'd have to paint them to be correct though, what's with that shiny gloss black? or just photoshop work trying to make them look amazing and it got carried away with the shine
I put myself on a couple of notify lists if they should become back in stock.
But I'm going to continue on the path to buy another Parts Place trim for the driver side and see if I can have success on that as I did with the other side. If I can, I'll then proceed to strip and repaint my original grilles.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 03-28-2022, 10:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Greg, I recalled touching on this subject with you back when...

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=820987

68 GTO
Old 03-28-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting that Jimmy M. I knew that I had asked about them but could not remember the details or find the thread.
Roger, yes, I remember testing and fitting over and over again moving it just a little at a time until I got it where I wanted it. Glad you got that one done. Sometimes just seeing that it can be done is half the battle!