Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-03-2022, 08:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default First Gen F Body Anti-Roll Bar

Hello all, (edit...wondering if this should have been posted in the "Suspension" section)

I'm attempting to tackle an anti-roll bar for my 68 firebird which now has a ford 9" in it. The housing has welded back brace which kind of complicates things for adding brackets.

I'm inexperienced in this area but is there any reason why the end links couldn't be mounted to a bracket or ears welded to the bottom leaf spring mounting plate and the torsion bar mounted up between the frame rails under the trunk floor?

Is there a consideration to be given to the length of the end-links? Or do they simply need to be perpendicular at ride height?

Thank you.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear

Last edited by punkin; 02-03-2022 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:04 PM
Boost Engineer

Just an assumption would be that the rear bar would have the same travel downward as upward and the arms pointing parallel to the frame.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry Tom, not sure I understand.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 02-06-2022, 08:48 AM
Senior Chief

that would be about like a FACTORY 2nd gen bar.

https://www.camarocentral.com/1974_1..._p/sus-999.htm

the "arms" need to be parallel to the ground relative to their "pivot" point. Basically the LONGER the arms are the move leverage they can apply/resist.

You can go that way or the "other" way which is mount the bar to the rear-end and have the endlinks mounted to the framerails.
With the back brace it is going to be interesting to have enough realestate AND clearance there

The Following User Says Thank You to 67Fbird For This Useful Post: