THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Email verification from users of a certain ISP

As I would like this thread to stay, and I understand the forum's policy on named companies, I am NOT naming the company in question; please leave it that way.

I occasionally get emails from potential customers at this specific ISP only. When I reply to the email, I get this message:

"I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:"

And then there is a link for me to click.

Is this a normal thing from a certain ISP, or an option? Does anyone know?

In addition to training in math, physics, and carburetors; I was trained, and worked as a computer systems programmer, and was a department head of a college computer science department; so professionally I can state: ONLY A COMPLETE FOOL WILL CLICK ON A LINK IN AN EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if your ISP sends these things, and you WANT an answer from me, either call, or have someone on a different service send the email!

And if you were the sender of any of these, and got no answer, now you know why!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ive never got any email like that from any member here or in any of the many communications & transactions i do on a daily basis online. must be a new thing or its very rare. & in 2022 im pretty sure most internet users know to not click on or send questionable or suspect links like that.

im also not aware of any forum rules that dont allow you to name a company or ISP, tons of threads & comments on here about sales on ebay or how people dislike ebay or using paypal or facebook or amazon or aol etc etc. many people also warn about spam or scam messages from isp or email addresses like google/gmail or hotmail etc etc. so unless i just violated a hidden rule or something i totally missed, (& if i did i apologize as i wasnt aware of anything like that) im pretty sure you can name this company youre referring to. might help others to be aware of this & avoid clicking on this verification link.

Last edited by 78w72; 01-31-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PM sent

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

Jon I am aware of the situation, and I am a subscriber to the ISP you are referencing. The mail blocking procedure is new, and I am currently using it.

After continually opening my Outlook each morning and going through to delete 10-15 junk e-mails, and constantly set up new rules, and trying everything I could think of, I discovered this "service." I am still having growing pains and occasionally find someone (including close family) that I had left out of my contact list. I check it daily, and if I find that I messed up, I immediately correct it, and send an apology.

I also have discovered other workarounds. I use multiple email addresses for different activities (car hobbies, politics, etc.) and I ONLY block my main email that is all over the internet thanks to google and other email harvesters.

I'm sure it is irritating to those receiving that message, but it sure has cut down on my spam emails. I guess we can thank email collectors, who later sell them to spam folks, for the ISP efforts to take actions based on their subscribers complaints.

Sorry you have to deal with it. Those who have contacted you, and do not update their contacts need to do a better job.

Ogre

Old 01-31-2022, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked in my spam folder the other day and it had click on link spoof ones from every entity possible. Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, on and on. I only click e-mail links on ones I am expecting instantly, like reset password confirmations. Minefield of shysters out there. GMail seems pretty decent at weeding out the blatant troll scam stuff.