THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's probably best to use all online sources, and then cross check the results. As mentioned there can be errors in how things have been posted. Also, names back in the day may have been misspelled or dates entered incorrectly - names were often Americanized when people first immigrated from foreign countries, and doctors in rural areas would sometimes wait until the end of the month before registering births, so they only had to make one trip to the county courthouse. They would then enter all the births on the same day. That happened when my dad was born, so he had an actual birth date and a second registered birth date that was about two weeks later.

Here's another interesting thing, if you have ancestors who died in WWII and are buried overseas: There are organizations in Europe where people volunteer to 'adopt' graves in the military cemeteries over there. They make sure the grave itself is kept up and tidy, bring flowers on special days, and research the history of the soldier buried there. I have an uncle who's buried at Ardennes American Cemetery at Neupre, Belgium, and a nice Belgian man has adopted his grave. He''s been in contact with us, and we've shared information back and forth with him. I think it's a great honor. You can search their sites to see if someone has adopted your ancestor: https://wwiiresearchandwritingcenter...n-foundations/

Last edited by Stuart; 06-17-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default One of my second cousins 2x removed

Here are some of mine, Joannes (Jan/Jean) Ludovicus Maria Bergé. shot in the head . I also have two of his first cousins, brothers that both died in WWI. I Thanked the people who took the photo and take care of the grave.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...us_maria-berge

Cousin #1 Willem Lodewijk Marie Bergé
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...ijk-berg%C3%A9

Cousin #2 brother of #1. Jacobus Franciscus Joannes Bergé

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...ans-berg%C3%A9

In English:
Jacob Frans Bergé was born on 14 August 1892 in the Hoogstraat son of carpenter Frans Antoon Bergé and Cornelia Verbeeck. Four years later, his younger brother Willem Lodewijk followed. They both went to school in Hoogstraten in the municipal school with master Van Bergen and afterwards started to help their father as carpenters in the workhouse behind the parental home on the Moleneind. At the outbreak of the war, Jacob was mobilized as a soldier in the 1st cie, 1/1 of the 8th Line Regiment. With this unit he ended up in Namur. On 22 August 1914, in the fierce defensive fighting between Beauloy Castle and the Bois Royal stronghold, he was so badly wounded that he could not be carried away by the retreating troops who left him for dead on the battlefield. It was not until two days later that he was severely weakened by blood loss from German stretcher bearers discovered on the edge of a smoldering cornfield. He was transferred to the emergency hospital that was set up in the College 'Notre Dame de la Paix' in the center of Namur. He succumbed to his injuries here on October 3, '14. According to his military file, he was buried in the Belgian military cemetery of Champion in grave A-26, but this does not exist. After a long search, his final resting place was found on the small French/Belgian military place of honor at the Belgrade cemetery in Namur. He succumbed to his injuries here on October 3, '14. According to his military file, he was buried in the Belgian military cemetery of Champion in grave A-26, but this does not exist. After a long search, his final resting place was found on the small French/Belgian military place of honor at the Belgrade cemetery in Namur. He succumbed to his injuries here on October 3, '14. According to his military file, he was buried in the Belgian military cemetery of Champion in grave A-26, but this does not exist. After a long search, his final resting place was found on the small French/Belgian military place of honor at the Belgrade cemetery in Namur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joannes Ludovicus Maria Bergé.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	568461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacobus Franciscus Joannes Bergé..jpg
Views:	76
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	568462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Willem Lodewijk Marie Bergé.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	568463  

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 06-23-2021, 12:28 PM

A lot of the trees on ancestry are only as good as the information put in them, so as has been said, check and double check information.

Also look at the Mormon site. Lots of info for free. You do have to register, but other than an occasional email on updates, i get nothing from them.

Www.familysearch.org

Old 06-23-2021, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr1967 View Post
A lot of the trees on ancestry are only as good as the information put in them, so as has been said, check and double check information.

Also look at the Mormon site. Lots of info for free. You do have to register, but other than an occasional email on updates, i get nothing from them.

Www.familysearch.org
You got that right. I got all my documents from the original source but familysearch has most of them also, you just have to know how to search the catalog. I do not post anything unless I have a document or credible source for proof. They (The LDS) still have 1,000 people in the field filming records that they are given access to is what I was told by a very good source.
I have helped over 60 different families find the truth and records for their ancestors in Belgium, Netherlands and some in France. My Brother did the German side of the family before home computers were made, he used the old microfilm records.

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 06-23-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
You got that right. I got all my documents from the original source but familysearch has most of them also, you just have to know how to search the catalog. I do not post anything unless I have a document or credible source for proof. They (The LDS) still have 1,000 people in the field filming records that they are given access to is what I was told by a very good source.
I have helped over 60 different families find the truth and records for their ancestors in Belgium, Netherlands and some in France. My Brother did the German side of the family before home computers were made, he used the old microfilm records.
Germany also kept good church records. Mom was born in Rostersdorf, Selisia, Germany in 1940. That is now part of Poland. Her father was wounded while in the Afrika Korps, and they evacuated in 45 due to the siege of Breslau, moving to what became East Germany. Thankfully, he was able to hold on to several of his and my oma’s family records. In 2006, he gave them all to me, as none of my German cousins seem to care.
He also gave me the pocket watch that was on his brother who was killed V-E day about 2 hrs AFTER surrender by a Russian sniper. Unkle Konrad’s comrades buried him and brought his possessions home to the family.

I was lucky to have copied several family bibles in the 70s and 80s that are missing now. Hopefully one day they will turn up

My county is also lucky that the courthouse never burned (even with a battle with Union troops there a few times) so we have records there back to 1809.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Geneology

I have been tracing mine and my wife's ancestors using a free site run by the Mormons. Every now and then they will send me hints to our ancestors.
Today I got one that linked my wife as a 4th cousin 7 time removed to George Washington!
If anyone is interested here is a link. No charge. all you have to do is register.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/