Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran a Torker on my 455 with a 4:56 gearset on the street for years (both came with the car, not my choice). Cam was a single pattern Comp 292 Magnum. It was real terror within it's operating range. From a 3500 rpm roll (40mph 2nd gear) against other cars it was pretty impressive.

On the build article, I was surprised they went with the old style 421 SD rods. At the time the article was published, the '73/'74 SD rods would have been available.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:45 PM
Boost Engineer

I have a intake with TWO rear Torker halves and a 1.5" Spacer and it worked fine on a 428 engine. Good enough to run 11.50s years ago. Course it had the right camshaft and a proper 850 double pumper carb on the engine too. It ran the time at Milan Michigan on a friends car. He wanted to try it vs his RPM intake.

Out of the box the Holley Street Dominator intake was a better intake.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 11:56 PM
Suspended

I ran as quick with a RA4 intake then a street dominator! FYI!

GTO George

The Following User Says Thank You to GTOGEORGE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2021, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
I tryed out the T1 way back then and came to the conclusion that only above 5500 did it out perform a stock iron intake on a well built street 400 with 3.55 gears and a 230 @ .050” cam, every where else below 5500 it was a pure Dog!

I often wondered if Edelbrock came up with that intake for the expressed purpose of slow down the average Pontiac because that manifold layout: design was not used on any other spread bore based manifold out of all the other GM motors that also used the spread bore type carb .
It’s like we where sold a load of **** about that manifold in the performance related media!
Not sure on that thought.

I had a 425 BBO in a 66 442 that I picked up a T1 for; even with a M21 and 3.90 gears it was a piece of crap below 5,000. Back on went the stock iron unit and to the swap meet with the T1. Later a local Olds guru noted to me that that was the usual experience with the T1 - I wonder how many times it changed hands?

Old 05-19-2021, 04:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Always liked the Torker (ok, Torker I). Went 10.80 with it on the GTO and the stock iron block and finally swapped to a Victor with same carb and it only picked up .15. Retired the old engine to the street car and the new engine complete with Victor went high nines. After that we put the Torker on my son's Firebird that was running 11.40's with a ported RPM, and no other changes than the manifold the Firebird ran in the 11.20's. I followed H.O.'s recommendations for altering the Torker in their book and always ran a 1" spacer that was matched to the manifold. Bought the Torker in the mid 80's when there really wasn't much available back then for a street/strip car. Had 4.11's and didn't think much about it.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran 9.60's with a Torquer 1 intake and 2" spacer/800 spreadbore double pumper on a mild 400, the Torquer 1 was always better suited to a higher rpm 400 (7000rpm on mine) than a 455, it also needed the entrances to the runners smoothed/reshaped a little bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to taff2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2021, 12:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I have a intake with TWO rear Torker halves and a 1.5" Spacer and it worked fine on a 428 engine. Good enough to run 11.50s years ago. Course it had the right camshaft and a proper 850 double pumper carb on the engine too. It ran the time at Milan Michigan on a friends car. He wanted to try it vs his RPM intake.

Out of the box the Holley Street Dominator intake was a better intake.

Tom V.
I forgot to mention that the car tested weighed 4250 lbs not 3000 or 3200 lbs.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did anyone notice his Big Block Pontiac had 20 main cap bolts according to the article? He points out six of them hold the windage tray in place. He has a photo of head bolts with the normal 3 per side extended studs for holding the drip tray in place. Either that or those big blocks had a hell of a system for the main caps and windage tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Article.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	566908  

Old 05-19-2021, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The writer of that article is confusing those head bolts for main bolts!

Just try to get the rear main cap bolts into a 1/2” head bolt hole, lol!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!