Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

California Duster and detail spray. For years. Covers seem to do more harm than good, in my experience over the years. I dust my cars once a week and they are good to go. I live in a dusty area as well.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll jump on the bandwagon and also say that car covers do more harm than good. They will always eventually become contaminated with dirt and run the risk of scratching paint. Even just putting them on and taking them off over the years can/will cause ultra-fine scratches. I would also never dust my car when the paint is dry. It needs some sort of lubricant, be it soap & water or detail spray, etc. Never dry.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 06-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Senior Chief

I'd lean towards saying never use a car cover.

And not a fan of dusters. 85% of people using them do more harm than good with them.

Get your paint corrected first, then coated with a ceramic coating like XPEL Fusion, Feynlab ceramic and Feynlab ceramic lite, or Wolfgang Uber coatings.

Then use the best micro-fiber towels and spray detailers when dusty.

Black is never easy to keep looking good but this should help given your situation.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65madgoat View Post
I'd lean towards saying never use a car cover.

And not a fan of dusters. 85% of people using them do more harm than good with them.

Get your paint corrected first, then coated with a ceramic coating like XPEL Fusion, Feynlab ceramic and Feynlab ceramic lite, or Wolfgang Uber coatings.

Then use the best micro-fiber towels and spray detailers when dusty.

Black is never easy to keep looking good but this should help given your situation.
I have brand new paint. The ceramic products are intriguing. I hate to experiment on my car. Let's do yours first...

Old 06-09-2020, 11:28 PM
Senior Chief

I have already used ceramic products with great results.

The paint must be "corrected" and in perfect order before applying the ceramic as the coating is basically like another clear coat on the finish.

Any reputable detailer will be able to do that, and will do that, prior to applying.

You can likely go to the website of the products I mentioned and search who is an approved installer/detailer in your area.

The Following User Says Thank You to 65madgoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a cover for my 64 in winter months, to keep the winter storage dust off, remove in spring and leave off till fall. Cleaning with microfibre towel and detail spray.
No ceramic coat here. Paint is 10 years old and still looks great. It's Not Black though. Dark red. This Picture was in 2008.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific rides pic.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	542163  

Old 06-10-2020, 07:24 PM

They say covers are not good for paint but depends how long it’s been since the car was painted.
My body shop guy painted my 72 Gto 19 years ago and told me not to cover the car for at least 1 full year. Wants the paint to breathe. After that I just use a Chinese dust cloth dry and wipe her down.
My paint still looks new after 19 years.
I do use a spray detail product after I dust her down. That does help so the dust is easy to remove.
Just my take.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2020, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Real good buddy of mine has a beautiful 67 GTO Vert in Black....he lives outside of town and has to contend with dust....He got tired of this and spent 3K getting the who;e car covered in clear 3M .....says its way easier to keep the shine

Old 06-13-2020, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
Real good buddy of mine has a beautiful 67 GTO Vert in Black....he lives outside of town and has to contend with dust....He got tired of this and spent 3K getting the who;e car covered in clear 3M .....says its way easier to keep the shine
While there's no doubt that wrapping your whole car in that stuff protects it, it's also not a permanent solution. They have gotten better in recent years, but my understanding is that they still deteriorate and need to be redone after about 7 years or so.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 06-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
While there's no doubt that wrapping your whole car in that stuff protects it, it's also not a permanent solution. They have gotten better in recent years, but my understanding is that they still deteriorate and need to be redone after about 7 years or so.
When that clear wrap fades and cracks, it's looks 100x worse than a dusty or even swirl marked black car.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National