Old 06-08-2020, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Harrison 4 Core Radiator - stock, high efficiency, or optima cores

My 4 core radiator is shot. Need a new core. Will use my stock tanks and weld on my stock side plates.

In the past, I've used high efficiency cores (approximately 220 tubes).
However with the AC condenser sitting right in front, I'm unsure if the high efficiency cores actually work better than stock.

Which cores are you running and have you noticed a big difference over stock cores?

My shop gets $50 more for a high efficiency core.

I've ruled out the super dense Optima core due to potential airflow issues.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Boost Engineer

I had a couple of high fin count 4 core radiators built for me years ago from a company called Superior Radiator in Mt Clemens Michigan. They did a lot of dirt track and asphalt track race vehicle radiators for people. Well worth the money.
I went from a stocker radiator (4 core) to my race core with my tanks set up for a 1966
GTO application. Inlet on drivers side. Radiator cooled to 175/180 degrees in the hottest weather.

Nothing wrong with a stock looking brass radiator if you get the right design radiator.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a core in one of my GTO's that had a denser fins per inch and it worked great. If you have A/C I would recommend augmenting the cooling somewhat. It would be even more important, since the air going into the radiator will be hotter with the A/C on, since it first goes through the condenser. Hotter air won't transfer heat quite as readily as cooler air of course.

Further, compared to the cost/time of the recore overall, adding the denser fins per inch is trivial extra cost.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks.
Agreed. Stock has 47 rows, or about 188 tubes.
High efficiency has about 30 more tubes BUT has far more cooling fins per square inch.
Will post pics of how it turns out when I get it ordered.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:36 PM
Boost Engineer

COOLING FINS PER SQUARE INCH IS A MAJOR INDICATOR.\

Tubes and the area around them does a lousy job of carrying away the heat by themselves. The only place where high fin count might hurt you is a bit more areo drag at 150+ mph.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.