Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-28-2020, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the lower priced ones have additional caster designed into the upper control arm only.

These are the same as the ones I have on my car.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:55 AM
Senior Chief

I haven't visited or driven in Italy for a couple of years now so things might have changed and I don't know how much of a problem this will be in Italy but in my case which is the Netherlands it appears they are trying to raise the country above sea level (most of it is below) one speed bump at a time.. we have lots of them and I need to crawl the car over most of them..

It has speedtech tubular a-arms with hotchkiss springs and anti sway bars. It is low.. to be honest a little too low for where I live.. but it does look great.
The tubular arms went in without any issue, i also used a ccp diskbrake kit which also went in without issue.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Italians do not use speed bumps very much, they sometime gradually raise the asphalt where there is a crosswalk but nobody stops at crosswalks...My last run to Holland two years ago was tough, having to watch for bicycles every turn or round-a-bout was stressful. And I saw some riders would "press" you to stop and give me the look. In Italy they would be killed in a day.

The secondary roads here are rough though, beat down by heavy traffic. If you have a tight suspension it is not a nice place to drive.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same ones as neighborscomplaint

Old 04-28-2020, 12:49 PM

I chose SpeedTech, because the lowers will accept regular coils or coil overs. They also come with spherical sway bar mounts. 2nd generation F-body. Satisfied customer.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

UMI responded all of their steel is USA and the only non domestic thing they use are the Proforged ball joints and Fatman spindles.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:42 AM

I would give AJE Suspension a call. I make most of their round stuff that they use. give them a try.
my 2 cts.

Elizabethtown, Indiana
phone... 812-350-8637
simsb53@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2020, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignaro View Post
I got a whole kit from UMI for my 66 about 5 years ago. Couldn't be happier. They were only a little more than the eBay parts and much less than Ridetech or Global West. https://www.umiperformance.com/ I daily drive across LA and often chase Porsches through the canyons.

Like a lot of things, price is relative. UMI front control arms are $1200, the ones I purchased on eBay are $239. To me, $1,000 difference is not insignificant and for my intended use offered no advantage. I have no interest in chasing and not catching Porsches. As regards rear control arms, I bought UMI as they were a no additional cost upgrade over OEM replacements and offered some utility to me. As others have said, it all comes down to how you use the car. I drive my car around town only and to local cruise nights and local shows (in the past). The components I selected are more than adequate for this and more than serviceable for longer trips. Additionally, my brake components are readily available at auto parts stores and carry a lifetime over the counter exchange if the fail me.

My goals for my upgrades were improved steering feel over stock (Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box w. lifetime over the counter exchange warranty) with a firm but smooth and compliant ride (OEM springs, tubular control arms w. poly bushings, larger sway bars with poly bushings and Gas shocks). It doesn't take a $3,200 expenditure on a suspension kit to achieve this nor would a performance suspension package provide the ride quality I desired. Again, to each his own but I am never one to throw money away on things that just cost more and provide no additional benefit toward achieving my objective, which by definition is called "over-engineering".

3 years ago I did a full drivetrain and suspension project on my '71 GTO. I had a performance rebuild done on my TH400, convertor rebuild and re-stall, differential rebuild w. 3.55 gears installed and then did my own full steering/ suspension/accessories rebuild/upgrade including 4 wheel disc conversion w. OEM style rotors, calipers (cross-drilled and slotted fronts) MC and booster, new fuel and brake lines, aluminum radiator, repro shroud, fan clutch and fan (Hayden), water pump (cast impeller), alternator (Tuff Stuff), starter (Powermaster), fuel pump (Carter Muscle Series) intake manifold (ProComp), repro dual snorkel air cleaner, repro valve covers, belts hoses and all incidentals including engine and engine compartment paint, and full chassis undercoating.

My total cost for all parts and services purchased was just under $6,000 and all upgrades exceeded my expectations. Again, each to his own and to his stated objectives.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 04-29-2020 at 03:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeighborsComplaint For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 05:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have contacted several EBay sellers and ask about the lower control arm spacers and if they are included. Nobody has replied. I see most vendors make no mention of the spacers so I am not sure. Pirate Jacks list the spacers separate for like $80. Even Summit makes no mention but comments say they are in the box. I am leery of buying a set from EBay when the vendor has not even answered a simple question. I suspect most of the vendors are fronts for Chinese based store and don't even know what I am asking about.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said buy a global west set and buy a set of them. Pull the decal off and then ask people to tell you which one is the 1250 dollar one and which one is the 250 one

Old 04-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Senior Chief

I know this is a Pontiac site and I have a 78 TA that is sorta - kind of stock suspension,with stock uppers and lowers. I also have a 79 Camaro that does not have any stock suspension parts iI used QA1 upper and lowers , Viking coil overs all around very happy with those products ,both cars handle the road course very well

Old 04-30-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Like I said buy a global west set and buy a set of them. Pull the decal off and then ask people to tell you which one is the 1250 dollar one and which one is the 250 one
I gotta agree. The myth that cheap tubular a arms are all made in China is just that. Maybe some are but plenty of good ones are US made. Even 250$ seems a bit high.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, check out PMT Fabrication in Ft. Wayne, IN. All of their components are proudly manufactured in Ft. Wayne, IN.

www.pmtfabrication.com

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 04-30-2020, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysarge View Post
I have contacted several EBay sellers and ask about the lower control arm spacers and if they are included. Nobody has replied. I see most vendors make no mention of the spacers so I am not sure. Pirate Jacks list the spacers separate for like $80. Even Summit makes no mention but comments say they are in the box. I am leery of buying a set from EBay when the vendor has not even answered a simple question. I suspect most of the vendors are fronts for Chinese based store and don't even know what I am asking about.
If you buy the summit parts, yes the spacer is included as are several shims to adjust ride height. I have these exact arms on my wife's 71 Chevelle.

The shims are somewhat trial and error. We found that all shims in will actually raise car above stock ride height. All shims out lower it a bit. You kind of have to play with it a bit to see what you like and what your car wants as far as the ride height goes.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does Summit sell the shims to adjust the ride height separately because the Chinese ones from ebay do not come with shims. For a drag car the Global West upper and lower arms have what they call the del-a-lum bushings and they have virtually no resistance which is great for getting lift and weight transfer on launch. I wonder if I can put their bushings in the ebay units. Summit sells the same Chinese units as the ebay ones for triple the price, what a massive mark up.

Last edited by Tim Corcoran; 05-01-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Does Summit sell the shims to adjust the ride height separately because the Chinese ones from ebay do not come with shims. For a drag car the Global West upper and lower arms have what they call the del-a-lum bushings and they have virtually no resistance which is great for getting lift and weight transfer on launch. I wonder if I can put their bushings in the ebay units. Summit sells the same Chinese units as the ebay ones for triple the price, what a massive mark up.
Look closer at the bushings on the ones I posted. Del-a-lum.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

See, the link below. The shims are what I am referring to. I know the red insulator is there. These go under it to adjust ride height. Some vendors have them and others don't mention. I thjin these would be very helpful.

https://piratejack.net/1964-1972-che...-shim-spacers/

I messaged an EBay vendor who had a listing for all 4 arms, heading said BRAND NEW and buired in the description it said used. I ask about new or used and the shims. Here is response verbatim: "these are goint to be brand new. looks like just a mistake on the listing. i go ahead and adjust the ad accordingly. we do not carry the spacers"

Not real inspiring...I have decided to avoid the 'Bay". Can't risk shipping to Italy and getting a surprise. Thank for the ideas. I am going to go with Pirate Jack since they will ship free to military APO and are $100 cheaper than Summit.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of products sold on eBay are misrepresented by the seller , intentionally or unintentionally. Selling gamesmanship has been honed to a fine art there with sellers providing vague descriptions and possessing no technical knowledge of the products. It's kind of like a trip to the local auto parts store lol!.

While Pirate Jack implies the arms drop the front end 1-1/2 - 2" with the pads in place, mine do not. Mine provided a slightly higher than stock ride height with Moog replacement coils and settled in a bit as the "pad" compressed over time. I can only assume removing the pad will result in the full drop dimension with the deeper spring pocket. I did not try it as I preferred to have an insulator between the spring and pocket, but it seems intuitive the spacers would be used under the pad to compensate for weak springs or to fine tune the drop with the "pad" removed.

These arms will support coil-over suspension also which would allow full ride-height adjustment.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At issue is also the source of the DOM steel tubing used on a quality product.
Good luck asking or finding a answer.... just paint it black

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE