Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Basically it’s who wants to spend the money all the aluminum heads will make 1,000 hp!

GTO George

Not sure about that. The d-ports have a stuffy exhaust port and the Speedmasters seem to have limitations when it comes to making big power... But again as you said "with money" maybe. I'm waiting for the " better options" part of this thread.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Paul,
We have names for the "E" heads and in a number of cases we know what they ran. Is GTO George scare posts the peoples names? :

Stan
Except the last engine I mentioned the rest have been at Norwalk......so no secrets.

GTO George

Old 02-07-2020, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Not sure about that. The d-ports have a stuffy exhaust port and the Speedmasters seem to have limitations when it comes to making big power... But again as you said "with money" maybe. I'm waiting for the " better options" part of this thread.
Paul what are your thoughts on the Speedmaster heads ?

Old 02-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Yea....I guess I should have dis-counted the D-Port heads, just was kind of obvious.

GTO george

Old 02-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thing is about Pontiac's and 1000NA horsepower. You can buy a set of used E heads capable for 3600-3800$. But to get to 1200HP NA its just stupid expensive so very few can actually do it. Have to check valve springs every other pass. Its nuts. Put a 1.1" lift cam, 8500+RPM and you are in for it. Whole thing is cubic dollars. Who packs 3-4 sets of valve springs just for one race ?
We are almost a small block folks. And for the most part inline valves. If we are not at our limit we are not far off. Biggest head gasket wins.
Real question should be is how much NA Pontiac power can we get and not be super high maintenance. And get there without taking a second mortgage. Since that is where 98% of us live its more realistic.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who uses 1.1 lift cams in a Pontiac?

Leech was limited to .950 ish and made good power.

All of our big power Chevy engines using more than an inch lift get at least 15 runs on the springs...although they are checked every pass.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracerx2813 View Post
Paul what are your thoughts on the Speedmaster heads ?
Customer service is about as bad as I've ever come in contact with.

Heads are okay but not near the head the comparable Edelbrock's are for making big power. They should be great for a strong street engine or mild race build.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

All of our big power Chevy engines using more than an inch lift get at least 15 runs on the springs...although they are checked every pass.
NA King runs over a 1" lift cam. Getting over 1200NA Pontiac horsepower is extremely expensive. And then you have head gasket life in our in-line's. Its getting better but still a issue.
Jack changed his head gaskets every 25 passes with my heads. They were well taken care of.
You can buy a 1200+HP Shmidt for 29K, free shipping and guaranteed for one year in a racing environment.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Maybe John Langer will post. I have had some problems with my memory on some of the things he has posted, but believe he is running like 1.09" lift.

It is more about RPM. and how aggressive the lobe profile is than lift.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Customer service is about as bad as I've ever come in contact with.

Heads are okay but not near the head the comparable Edelbrock's are for making big power. They should be great for a strong street engine or mild race build.
I had a feeling they were a better street head . The customer service is a killer .

The Following User Says Thank You to dragracerx2813 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Thing is about Pontiac's and 1000NA horsepower. You can buy a set of used E heads capable for 3600-3800$. But to get to 1200HP NA its just stupid expensive so very few can actually do it. Have to check valve springs every other pass. Its nuts. Put a 1.1" lift cam, 8500+RPM and you are in for it. Whole thing is cubic dollars. Who packs 3-4 sets of valve springs just for one race ?
We are almost a small block folks. And for the most part inline valves. If we are not at our limit we are not far off. Biggest head gasket wins.
Real question should be is how much NA Pontiac power can we get and not be super high maintenance. And get there without taking a second mortgage. Since that is where 98% of us live its more realistic.
Just how many used e-heads out there for $3600-3800 will make 1000hp?

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine will. Bailey's heads were for sale for the same price made 1000+HP. Mikes heads were 3800$ also. The heads I have made 965 with 13.5 to 1 and a N2O make. You don't think another 35 HP could be added with 16-1 and big NA cam ?
Pretty much the same head KK made 1000+ with. And mine were the most reliable of the 3 Gabby ECM heads.

I am not going to try but I have most of what would be needed to do it for less money than most spend to go after it. Its all right there.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Maybe John Langer will post. I have had some problems with my memory on some of the things he has posted, but believe he is running like 1.09" lift.

It is more about RPM. and how aggressive the lobe profile is than lift.

Stan
That is correct lift before lash. .018 on exhaust and .022 on intake... you can’t put a bigger cam then that in a Pontiac unless you go 50mm can core and steel rods but a) the 50mm cam will flex too much and b) I would never ever ever ever run a steel rod in an na Pontiac.

The Following User Says Thank You to John Langer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mine will. Bailey's heads were for sale for the same price made 1000+HP. Mikes heads were 3800$ also. The heads I have made 965 with 13.5 to 1 and a N2O make. You don't think another 35 HP could be added with 16-1 and big NA cam ?
Pretty much the same head KK made 1000+ with. And mine were the most reliable of the 3 Gabby ECM heads.

I am not going to try but I have most of what would be needed to do it for less money than most spend to go after it. Its all right there.
So 4 sets. Not like they come up for sell very often.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
NA King runs over a 1" lift cam. Getting over 1200NA Pontiac horsepower is extremely expensive. And then you have head gasket life in our in-line's. Its getting better but still a issue.
Jack changed his head gaskets every 25 passes with my heads. They were well taken care of.
You can buy a 1200+HP Shmidt for 29K, free shipping and guaranteed for one year in a racing environment.
I'm not buying the 1.1 thing.... I call BS

However if that is the case it gives the E-head another advantage...it can make around 1200 with a LOT less lift!

Head gaskets every 25 passes on a nitrous motor isn't that far out of the ordinary.

Schmidt has a generous dyno and the warrenty is never as expected...fwiw

Last edited by PAUL K; 02-07-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

However if that is the case it gives the E-head another advance...it can make around 1200 with a LOT less lift!

Head gaskets every 25 passes on a nitrous motor isn't that far out of the ordinary.

Dragncar knows what he's talking about. He's been there and done that

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

But you are going for 900 on pump gas with those right?

Old 02-07-2020, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

However if that is the case it gives the E-head another advantage...it can make around 1200 with a LOT less lift!

Have you and slowbird been drinking or something ? The man just comes on and say he has a 1.1" lift cam and you call BS and slowbird backs you up??
Get a ROOM!
And Mike showed 1160HP. No E head has been to a true 1200NA HP and never will. No one is ever going to try and do what Mike did again. One shot deal.
BTW, Mike was going to a High Port because he could make more power with them, plain and simple.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken View Post
But you are going for 900 on pump gas with those right?
Marcella has the intake, it will make what it makes.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Have you and slowbird been drinking or something ? The man just comes on and say he has a 1.1" lift cam and you call BS and slowbird backs you up??
Get a ROOM!
And Mike showed 1160HP. No E head has been to a true 1200NA HP and never will. No one is ever going to try and do what Mike did again. One shot deal.
BTW, Mike was going to a High Port because he could make more power with them, plain and simple.
Huh!?!? The King said .1090 minus lash.... The lash gets subtracted from the gross lift. You said "over 1.1"..... Who is running the 1.1 plus lift cams?

I'm glad you are now the person in charge of dyno corrections.... You are one very intelligent person...no wonder you were able to run a 10.8 once!