Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-06-2020, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default DIY Timing Tab

I've seen quite a few threads over the years about people looking for timing tabs for their timing cover that doesn't have one. Recently I was looking for one online and couldn't find anything so this evening I decided to make one.

I copied the bolt on timing tab that P-Dude use to sell by cutting some aluminum with tin snips. This took me about 30-45 minutes to build and that was with trimming and filing down the rough edges.
It is more prone to getting bent than the steel one, but I think it would hold up just fine on a car. I'll probably do another one in 1/8" steel one day when I have a little more time.

If you want to build one yourself, I made up a drawing that you can use.

This uses 2 water pump bolts to hold it in place and places the edge of the tab about a 1/4 to 1/2 way over the damper.

Here's a link to the full size picture 3024x4032 if you want to download the hi-res version. 3.08 MB

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speargun For This Useful Post: