Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
Last battery cable question (for now).

When this motor was rebuilt, someone used ARP head bolts that did not have the stud provision for mounting the negative battery cable. Is there any risk in blowing a head gasket if I remove this head bolt (arrow) and put the correct one in with the stud? I think the battery cable is supposed to go to the first head bolt (maybe the second)?
I've changed many many head bolts over the years on already in service engines, never had any issues on any cars. To be safe I would only change one at a time (and I wouldn't do it will the engine is revving over about 5,000 rpm ;-)

I've had the exact same issue with machine shops using wrong bolts, also for the oil deflectors under the valve covers.

1969 LeMans (2dr & 4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 ht & Judge ht)
1969 Cat (3 Cvt’s & 2dr ht)
1969 Ventura wagon 2 seat
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Bonnie Cvt & 2 wagons
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
1969 2+2 2dr ht (Canadian)
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a picture from my 71 TA after removing the engine for the first time in 2006. The positive cable was retained by two clips, one in front and one behind the left motor mount. The yellow arrows point to the clips, not to be confused with the starter motor bracket that is outlined in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pos_cable_clips.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	205273  

Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
Held For Ransom,
Amazingly enough, my car still has one of the clips on the motor mount. Now I just need to find the rear one. Do you think I should put the other wires in a loom, or just leave them taped up the way they are on your block?

Frank
That is the incorrect clip. I have made both the front and rear clip before, quite easy. Just get dsome sheet metal, cut strips, bend it ,then dip in liquid rubber.. Butthe one you show in this picture is the incorrect clip for the front and rear motor mount clip.. FWIW>.The front clip is different than the rear clip..

Old 12-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are there battery cable retainers made from spring steel? Should be easy to make as described above but how does steel get it's springability? Heat, oil quench or...?

Semper Fi