Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ram,Spec, and McLeod

Basically I have to have a clutch. I have a friend that has 1600 miles on a McLeod dual disc behind a Muncie M23 that is a combination almost exactly like mine and he is sending it back for a full refund because the chatter is so bad that it will rattle your teeth out. My engine builder recommended the dual disc from Ram. My friend called their tech line today and they were very thorough in their questions to him about his car and combination before making a recommendation. He said he was very impressed. Another plus with Ram is they are right here in SC so if it doesn’t work I can ride over and stick it up there ass pardon my French. Hwystr455 recommended to me spec clutches. I called the personally, they asked me a million questions about my car and then offered up a single disc clutch they said was more than capable of handling my needs. My wife can drive a stick but she’s not a 100 percent confident yet when it comes to doing so. I will of course give her more instruction before setting her loose with a 600 ft/lb combo but the bottom line is she is the type of person that if she’s driving and any clutch shenanigans occur that will be the end of her driving it alone if not even forever. I plan on doing power tour and other events so I can’t have that. Any personal experience with any of these brands? Any real world recommendations? Trans is TKO600 and rear gear is a 3.70 so gear multiplication is not an issue.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 AM
Senior Chief

I like my Centerforce dual friction clutch, light pedal feel and nice smooth engagement and never had any slippage.

I have no experience with dual disk clutches in any muscle or classic car, but have one in my Dodge Cummings....it's kind of grabby and rattles like crazy when disengaged....but has never slipped when pulling heavy loads. I would like to hear what others think about the dual disk clutches also....

Old 06-19-2019, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran 2 Mcleod twin disc RST clutches 6911-07 in my T/A and have both sitting on the shelf. I run a TKO-600 with 3.73 rear gears. Engine made around 600hp and 600 torque. I could not get rid of chatter issues on taking off or backing up. The only nice thing about a twin disc is the clutch pedal feel was very much like stock. I also run a Hayes billet flywheel 13-130 and a Quicktime bellhousing. I email Mcleod back and forth and the guy wanted me to send back the clutch for inspection, but shipping cost was too high and they wouldn't commit to a free rebuild if need. I also sent the guy a ton of pics. I would still be stuck with a clutch that would chatter in my opinion. I explained to the rep that I felt there were issues with the floater plate straps and not enough clamping force from the pressure plate.

I went to an ACT clutch single disc and my chatter issues are gone. HD/Perf Street Sprung - GM6-HDSS. So far the clutch has been flawless. Still in break in mode. The only thing I find is it takes alot more pedal pressure to activate clutch. It's not a stock pedal feel clutch. It's alot stronger pressure plate so more force need to push clutch in. but not that bad once you get use to it. I really like it as I'm getting use to it.

I also removed all my clutch linkage and went to a Hydraulic Clutch setup. I love it. So smooth. I went with the Americian Powertrain kit.

Just my experience

Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I read that single disc clutches are good up to 700 HP.

Is this a street car?

Also read they are either on or off, no feathering.

Just installed a Mcleod single disc and it's working good for the street. https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false

Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A sprung Marcel carrier has a gradual engagement, some dual disc are not sprung and have more of an on-off engagement.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the McLeod RXT dual disc and it is non sprung hub ceramic material. Yes it chatters like a MOFO, I have been ok with it, just have to give a bitty more rpm. But if you rev it up to about 3-4K it releases just fine... allows me to control the clutch off the line without worrying about burning it up.

The RST organic sprung hub may be the better choice for a street car.
Or a single disc organic sprung like CFDF

If you don't go to the track, then I would stick with organic and sprung hub.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I typically use single disc organics with sprung hub for street cars that also see some track use. I've never had an issue with them on track running 11 sec cars. Competed in UMTR on a regular basis for 3 years with a regular single disc sprung hub and it never hinted at giving up.

I used Spec in our 4th gens, they were okay. Ram was my favorite for the classic cars for many years. I've also used several Centerforce setups and have been very happy. I currently run a Centerforce in my wifes daily driver, which has a nice soft pedal feel and drives excellent, grabs fine when you get aggressive with it.
McLeod has been around a long time, but I've never used one that I recall.

Pick the brand you like and try it.