Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

His fault.No part of "me" gets under the car in some situation like that. Get the spare first. I carry 2 small 4x4 blocks in my vehicles. If you are jacking up the back you need to chock at least one front tire on both sides. That way the car will not move and fall off the jack.
Its all common sense.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We're taught at work about the states or errors that cause injuries. They are rushing, frustration, fatigue, complacency, eyes not on task, mind not on task, line of fire, and loss of balance traction or grip. Which ones do you think caused this?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A buddy of mine used to work at Lincoln. They tested all brands of jacks, jack stands, etc. The off-shore stuff would fail under the rating a lot. So, don't "push it".

Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
For anyone that has a spare stored by cable under the vehicle .... check it and lube it every year or it's not going to work when you need it.
X2!!! This is the best advice you can hear. Think of this POS spare tire storage idea as a parking brake you NEVER use. Those cable crank tire storage winches rust up in a big hurry in the Midwest. I have cut off dozens of them for replacement. Make sure the tire has air every time you change oil.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tire under the back was a dumb move by Chevy. They get stolen, fall off, or you can't get it off. I guess you need to do a fire drill on your spare tire situation once in a while in any vehicle you drive. Or have AAA plus and be patient. Being lazy about your spare can bite you in the foot.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Suspended

Yeah, the tire hung by a cable is not the best idea but many manufacturers use them and it sure beats the alternative.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Yeah, the tire hung by a cable is not the best idea but many manufacturers use them and it sure beats the alternative.

Retired from GM, we had hundreds of tires stolen right out of the GM parking lots.
Out of sight out of mind. Having a tire under there for years is just a bad thing.
One day I was trying to pull a stump after I sawed all the way around. Did a good tug on it. Backed up to get some slack in the chain and I backed over something. What the heck? It was the spare. Fell off. Glad it didn't happen on the high way. Check your spares, someone's life may depend on it.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Suspended

We had an Olds/Jeep dealer here. They would always back their CJ's up to the left edge of their lot which had a big drop-off. About every other month there wasn't a new CJ on their lot that had rear wheels. After about 2 or 3 years they finally put up a fence.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Being claustrophobic has its advantages.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a new Yukon last year and, a few months later, ran over a piece of rebar and totaled a tire. I called AAA to get the tire replaced - and a good thing, too. It's so hard to get the tires out now, it would have taken me hours to figure it out.

The tow driver already had the tool for Suburbans - which didn't work for Yukons. Thankfully, many thieves are too lazy to put up with all that stuff.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by track73 View Post
Being claustrophobic has its advantages.
True, so does being paranoid

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 04-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
We're taught at work about the states or errors that cause injuries. They are rushing, frustration, fatigue, complacency, eyes not on task, mind not on task, line of fire, and loss of balance traction or grip. Which ones do you think caused this?
Rushing, complacency, and eyes/mind not on task.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQuest View Post
Tire under the back was a dumb move by Chevy. They get stolen, fall off, or you can't get it off. I guess you need to do a fire drill on your spare tire situation once in a while in any vehicle you drive. Or have AAA plus and be patient. Being lazy about your spare can bite you in the foot.
As much as I would love to blame GM for this set-up, Ford and Dodge do the same thing. Actually other than the way it attached underneath, they all look and "non-function" the same way.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Senior Chief

I was under my old 97 blazer years ago to change rear shocks, seemed awfully roomy under there. Then I realized the spare was gone. I never heard or saw a damn thing, I hope nobody behind me was hurt. Absolutely no clue where it went. Those cables rust out pretty quickly.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 05-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
For anyone that has a spare stored by cable under the vehicle .... check it and lube it every year or it's not going to work when you need it.
I agree....mine gave me fits trying to drop it after it lived there for 15yrs! It now lives in the bed, tethered to a lug with a cable and a padlock!

68 GTO
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This past winter was big project on my ride including all suspension and exhaust. Multiple times putting the car up on jack stands, some days the prep to get stands set correctly and where I knew it was solid would take me more than an hour. I do the full body shove test on it too to make sure it ain't going anywhere!

Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans67 View Post
A friend of mine offered to drive his Suburban to pick up some LeMans parts I had chromed. On the return trip had the rear pass side tire blow out. Get to the side of the road,
Could have been a Ford Exploder. You wouldn't have had to jack it up, because it would be laying on the roof with four wheels nicely exposed and pointing skyward. You could have changed the tire very easily that way.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Safety is one of the most overlooked things but so often overlooked

Old 05-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

cheby and gmc HAVE terrible spare tire hanger and release mechanism ,more than once I have had the release mech not let loose after following the directions, the cable gets loose and all of a sudden the lock releases and the tire / wheel falls, the first time it landed on my arm,couple of xrays and nothing broken,2nd time I put blocking so it couldn't fall far, a good thing, AFTER that spare goes in the back