Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 PM

Default 65 re pop chrome bumpers

Just wondering about the quality of the golden start "triple Chrome" plated bumpers available? Has anyone actually purchased and fitted a set?

I looked at a set at OPG last time I was in CA. and the chrome was very grainy, but they also were not triple chrome plated.

My originals are in need of re chroming, but there aren't any local chrome shops that can do it where I live. I'd be interested in hearing if there are any good chrome shops in Wa. state or Oregon as well.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure where you are located, but i sent both of mine to Kelowna Electroplating.
https://showchrome.com Nice people to deal with. They were not cheap for triple plated show chrome.
But they look pretty good. had a problem with the front cracking and they went good on it.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Suspended

China calls a lot of things "Golden". Just saying.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Keystone. Find your closest local LKQ Parts place. They will ship it free to their chrome plating facility in Minnesota. Comes with a life time guarantee. I was very pleased with the results for my ‘64 bumpers. It was about $500 each.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
I used Keystone. Find your closest local LKQ Parts place. They will ship it free to their chrome plating facility in Minnesota. Comes with a life time guarantee. I was very pleased with the results for my ‘64 bumpers. It was about $500 each.
Lifetime? I did not know that. Knew about the rest. Keystone has been around a damn long time. Long enough to take advantage of that lifetime warranty should something ever happen.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 AM

Theres a chrome shop in Centrailia Wa. and another in Eugene , Or that do good work. Not cheap but show quality chrome.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 AM

I bought from AMD and they look great in the box. They appear identical to my original, no rough edges or out of shape contours. Should be putting them on the car in the next month or two so we will see how they fit. Less than 700 for front and rear shipped to my door from AMD.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubert20 View Post
I bought from AMD and they look great in the box. They appear identical to my original, no rough edges or out of shape contours. Should be putting them on the car in the next month or two so we will see how they fit. Less than 700 for front and rear shipped to my door from AMD.
Their rear bumper was made off of a perfect original. It was sourced from a 65 Lemans in SC. The owner is a member here.

Unless something has changed in a couple of years, their front bumper was tooled from another companies repop, but with better chroming.

A part owner of AMD owns a chrome plating shop in Taiwan. The initial business plan of AMD was to do bumpers and brackets only. I sat across the table with two of the principles the day it was formed.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
got mine done at Keystone.also. they have a special show car chrome service for specialty cars. they sent mine to Texas from here in Maryland. came out great.

took 8 weeks though

Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where in Texas?

Debating on cost to straighten and rechrome vs repops. EPA has gotten on a lot of the chrome shops here locally and they have shut down.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-16-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Their rear bumper was made off of a perfect original. It was sourced from a 65 Lemans in SC. The owner is a member here.

Unless something has changed in a couple of years, their front bumper was tooled from another companies repop, but with better chroming.

A part owner of AMD owns a chrome plating shop in Taiwan. The initial business plan of AMD was to do bumpers and brackets only. I sat across the table with two of the principles the day it was formed.
Jerry, are you saying that the AMD bumpers come from a different source than the Golden Star ones that everyone else sells? Great information if that’s the case.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:32 AM

I bought front and back bumpers from Ames for my 65 about 3 years ago. I don't know where they got them from, but they are nice on my driver GTO. If I were doing a really high end car I would consider rechroming, but i have no complaints.

Last edited by hp 400 dave; 03-17-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair455ca View Post
Jerry, are you saying that the AMD bumpers come from a different source than the Golden Star ones that everyone else sells? Great information if that’s the case.
Not sure. I'm assuming at least the rear one came from a different stamping.

BTW, I ran into one of the owners of the company this afternoon. He said the Pontiac parts they were doing weren't hot sellers. I don't exactly know what he meant by 'hot'.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Not sure. I'm assuming at least the rear one came from a different stamping.

BTW, I ran into one of the owners of the company this afternoon. He said the Pontiac parts they were doing weren't hot sellers. I don't exactly know what he meant by 'hot'.
Pontiac parts were never "hot" sellers. Chevy and Ford will always be 1 and 2. You should have asked him how Pontiac sales compare to Buick and Olds. I bet then he would have said Pontiac was hot.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Pontiac parts were never "hot" sellers. Chevy and Ford will always be 1 and 2. You should have asked him how Pontiac sales compare to Buick and Olds. I bet then he would have said Pontiac was hot.
Best of my knowledge they make nothing for a Buick or Olds. He was comparing with the Mopar market.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Where in Texas?

Debating on cost to straighten and rechrome vs repops. EPA has gotten on a lot of the chrome shops here locally and they have shut down.
don't know . but thinking it was not there shop . most likely a contractor they have for that work .

your correct they quit chroming here. One of the Keystone shops that did chrome got a big fine years ago.

another plus for me was they did't charge shipping