Old 12-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just my opinion, but no insulation mats or strips are needed here. The only contact the tank makes with the body is along the raised body strips above where the straps go. The tank top on the whole does not contact the
body. Once the tank is cinched up, it is solidly fixed to the underbody along the contact strips . There should be no rubbing or chafing. A pad on top may alleviate "drumming" when there is a low fuel level in the tank.
As I am a Norton cycle owner my whole life, isolastic suspension is used when the 2 components are kept apart and allowed to float. Like body to chassis isolators. When a component is put in firm contact with it's mount point, it need not be isolated unless you have a need to separate dissimilar metals. Just my take on the situation.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

This Is all I could find. I could see no evidence in the use of any additional pads. The pad is on the passenger rear corner area of the tank.
Car is '64 March build at Pontiac Plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 GasTank Pad 001.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	504985   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 GasTank Pad 002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	504986   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 GasTank Pad 003.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	504987  

Old 02-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't think that is factory stuff Jake.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceaceca View Post
For 1964

I don't know what this is, as I have never encountered anything like this. When the tank was dropped, I was hoping it may have been part of a build sheet, which are occasionally found above the tank. No dice here, as it was a shiny faced tar based material, and fairly heavy. It is possible that it fell off of something else during installation and survived all these years. It still remains stuck to the tank. And as I mentioned in the previous post, I tried to find a match or matches for it, but there was nothing apparent. Just thought I would throw this out there.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceaceca View Post
Nope, not assembly line. However, may have been installed at dealer to handle customer complaint for a "noise".

Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 67 GTO had one....the original tank was mint ..so I called Ames....they had a new pad....and in it went.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is the tank out of my all original 65 Tempest with 36k miles. Not sure that these two small strips are considered tank pads or not. I’ve yet to find these in any catalog. I know Ames sell a whole tank pad but was looking for something similar to the original. Speedway motors sell this for Nova and Chevelle. Looks like would work for our tanks

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/OER-K...le,117658.html
If you need those strips I can easily accommodate that....I sell a nice Gas Tank Pad (Greg referred to it earlier) and can make custom sized pieces as well.

64-72 GM A-Body Gas Tank Pads
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...tion-item.html