Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ford F-150 PCM Help Please

Trying to help a family member. 2000 something F-150 diagnosed as a bad PCM.

PCM ordered from dealer. Was told it was on "national backorder" or some such, weeks have gone by.

Does that seem right?

Tired of waiting for a $1300 part, purchased a reman'd PCM from an on-line seller who said it would be programmed for the VIN. First one was installed, reportedly didn't work. Second one sent, also didn't work.

Is this a complicated thing? Should the replacement PCM be plug and play, is there a simple step by step procedure for connecting a replacement PCM to the vehicle?

Truck has been down for several weeks. Family member is trying to help his son-in-law and asked me if I knew anything about a PCM. I don't but figured somebody here could advise if this is a possible D-I-Y repair or if he will be stuck waiting for the dealer to get the part and pay a premium to boot.

I've never had a PCM go out so my first inclination is to think something else is at fault. But I was told this is a fairly common problem for this truck.

All comments appreciated.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_3hQI0VivQ try watching this video, Looks like more that just programming the VIN and good luck!!

Old 12-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What year is the truck? What is the actual problem? Doesn't run - bad circuit for a sensor?The vin does need to be programmed, and also anti theft if applicable, and of course correct level software for the truck.