THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
I bought this machine last year and couldn't be happier. It's also aluminum ready with the addition of a spool gun.
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...-welder-m30024
That's a sweet little machine. I gotta move to inverter machines, they are so light, small, quiet and all around better to weld with.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2018-10-23_05-39-50 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
I bought this little guy a month or so ago at Home Depot. I had to get the gas bottle from the local welding supply house. I had one just like it that I lost in a fire and loved it. Its the 110v model and works great. I welded all of the panels necess. on my 77 resto. and am currently using it on my 79. I have welded 1/4" steel with success. I dont weld alum. although I wouldn't mind having that skill. I had a Hobart 140 that was about 30 yrs old. When it crapped out a couple of years ago that's when I bought the Lincoln. I think I paid around $500. for it. If you ask for a lowes 5% discount from the right salesperson they will usually give it to you (use the contractor checkout). I had sticker shock when I bought the bottle though, it was close to $200 that came with the first fill "free"! For doing light work around the house/farm, and for car work this is more than adequate.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
2018-10-23_05-39-50 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
I bought this little guy a month or so ago at Home Depot. I had to get the gas bottle from the local welding supply house. I had one just like it that I lost in a fire and loved it. Its the 110v model and works great. I welded all of the panels necess. on my 77 resto. and am currently using it on my 79. I have welded 1/4" steel with success. I dont weld alum. although I wouldn't mind having that skill. I had a Hobart 140 that was about 30 yrs old. When it crapped out a couple of years ago that's when I bought the Lincoln. I think I paid around $500. for it. If you ask for a lowes 5% discount from the right salesperson they will usually give it to you (use the contractor checkout). I had sticker shock when I bought the bottle though, it was close to $200 that came with the first fill "free"! For doing light work around the house/farm, and for car work this is more than adequate.
Probably the identical one I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I have had a Lincoln 110v MIG for 15+ years I bought at Home Depot for around $500.00. I have run a hell of a lot of wire through it and never had an issue. I have also been welding for about 50+ years and until I buy a new Ford truck, I will never have the need to weld aluminum. And for that one time I might, I will take it to the local welding shop to have it done. I see no need in having a tool that will never get used just to say I have one.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why didn't you get your gas bottle at Home Depot. There a lot cheaper than the gas companies?

Old 12-06-2018, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Tractor Supply has gas now too. But to buy the bottle is expensive.

You don't want to see my gas bill. Two CO2/Argon tanks, one Argon, one oxygen, one acetylene. Those $300 ten year lease bills come due way too often also.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't think HD had the gas bottles. The initial cost is the expensive one as they sell you the bottle. If I remember correctly the exchange is $50-$60. with the exchange.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:06 PM

X2 on the Miller 211. Purchased my 211 several years ago, but bought a larger gas bottle from Airgas Supply. Love mine!

Old 12-07-2018, 02:15 AM

I bought a Hobart 210mvp last year. My welding improved 10000% over what I was doing with my very old lincoln 110 machine. I like the idea of the multivoltage.That way I have the capacity to weld heavier metal, but the portability of a 110v unit as well.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just out of curiosity.. What would you guys be willing to pay for a (both) mid 90's Miller Syncrowave 250, and a Lincoln 250 amp MIG? Well cared for, both operating and in use for testing, with cables, pedals, torches, regulators etc. ?

I'm thinking of moving to all inverter based machines. I'd like to get $2000 for the two machines total. They are the big, heavy, US made stuff, both prior to the "Digital" machines.

Syncrowave has been used 95% DC steel, very little AC use.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Just out of curiosity.. What would you guys be willing to pay for a (both) mid 90's Miller Syncrowave 250, and a Lincoln 250 amp MIG? Well cared for, both operating and in use for testing, with cables, pedals, torches, regulators etc. ?

I'm thinking of moving to all inverter based machines. I'd like to get $2000 for the two machines total. They are the big, heavy, US made stuff, both prior to the "Digital" machines.

Syncrowave has been used 95% DC steel, very little AC use.
I don't want them but could you post pictures? Is the syncrowave water cooled? Put them on Weldingweb that sounds like a deal to me for someone looking for transformer machines.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Syncrowave is the water cooled model. We had one at the repair station I worked at in Nashville in the early to mid 1990s. Fantastic welder in experienced hands.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Guy on web has video of using 100% argon gas ,aluminum wire in mig gun without spool gun. Tip is one size bigger than wire,for heat expansion.im curious how well it works.Look up welding aluminum. My 2cts.
Yup, this is what I do. Biggest issue with AL is the gas it gives off, and the fact that it can corrode right on the spool if you don't keep it dry.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
I don't want them but could you post pictures? Is the syncrowave water cooled? Put them on Weldingweb that sounds like a deal to me for someone looking for transformer machines.
They are the two large machines seen in my post #10.

Syncrowave had a separate water cooling system if so desired, wasn't part of the main cabinet, it was part of the torch system. Mine has an air-cooled torch, rarely used at amperages high enough to need water cooling. Water cooled torch can still be added if needed.

Both machines are from the era just prior to the switch to digital readouts. Nothing fancy, just the basic models. Not really trying to sell them HERE, just wondered what the market would bear.

Thinking about scaling down the shop some and a multi-processor inverter machine around 220 amps would cover most of my needs, and I'd save a lot of floor space ... but they start around $3000 so not something I want to ADD to the shop at this point, but could justify it to replace these machines. Only down side is probably duty cycle ... these machines can run all day if necessary. I don't think I've heard the fan come on in the Lincoln more than twice in 20 years.