Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 AM

Default 66 GTO Honest Evaluation

Thinking about putting my 66 GTO up for sale but having a difficult time trying to figure a sale price point. I've looked at recent auction results, classified ads and spoken to several dealers and prices are all over the place, from lows of $15,000 to highs of $50,000. Just trying to get an honest option and thought I'd throw it out to the forum. Below are the details.

I purchased the from the original owners daughter after the gentleman had passed. He had owned it from new and drive it until his passing. Car has 113,XXX original miles. The following are all original to the car: 389 engine with Carter carb. and automatic transmission, interior, trunk interior, warning stickers, hub caps, T3 headlights, front end badging, bumpers, and all chrome/stainless trim.

I replaced the side and rear badging as it was badly pitted but kept it all.

It has one (1) repaint to its correct original color Marina Turquoise after it was completely striped to bare steel and any rot replaced with new steel, no bondo. I keep all of the door/trunk jam areas and trunk lid bottom original paint.

I had the vinyl top replaced to match the original two (2) seam top it came with from the factory. Also, replaced the tires to original white walls, as per the build sheet.

I have a lot of documents including original Protect-a-Plate which shows engine and transmission are numbers matching to the car plus original owner’s manual, service manual, and dealer supplied docs.

The original factory assembly line build sheet is still located in the springs of the back seat. I didn’t want to remove it but it matches the PHS documents.

Just trying to get any honor evaluation.

Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0826181434_HDR.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	494654   Click image for larger version

Name:	0826181436_HDR.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	494655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orig. Truck Mat.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	494657   Click image for larger version

Name:	0826182017.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	494659   Click image for larger version

Name:	0826181435b_HDR.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	494660  

Old 10-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Suspended

There was a guy in PA that tried to get 50k for his dad's rotisserie restored, numbers matching, Tri-Power, 4 speed '66 for 3 years. I bought it for $26,000.00. That was not quite 2 years ago.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most GTO fans want a 4 speed and trips....and the trimmings that go with them. That said, it looks like a super well documented car with history and integrity, and should be worth at least 25-30k in today's market. In CA, where I am, tripower 4 speed '66's that are rotisserie restored as mentioned haven't sold for under 30k in the last 20 years.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Most GTO fans want a 4 speed and trips....and the trimmings that go with them. That said, it looks like a super well documented car with history and integrity, and should be worth at least 25-30k in today's market. In CA, where I am, tripower 4 speed '66's that are rotisserie restored as mentioned haven't sold for under 30k in the last 20 years.
Well move here then because it happened twice. I bought it for 26k and sold it for 28k. 66's are not the most desirable. Most buyers want a '65 as their first choice and '67 as their second choice. They will also pass up a nice '66 in favor of a shakey '67. Like I said, the guy tried selling it for 3 years. He also tried pushing me to 27.5k. 2 months later, he called me.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:13 PM

I'd say around $30k is realistic... as long as what rot/rust it had was not all that extensive. Good luck if you do sell it.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Well move here then because it happened twice. I bought it for 26k and sold it for 28k. 66's are not the most desirable. Most buyers want a '65 as their first choice and '67 as their second choice. They will also pass up a nice '66 in favor of a shakey '67. Like I said, the guy tried selling it for 3 years. He also tried pushing me to 27.5k. 2 months later, he called me.
That's impressive....you DO live in the right place for cheap '66's! Funny, 35 years ago I looked for a long time for a decent '65'-'66 GTO ragtop (already had my '65 hardtop) and the only reason I settled on my '67 ragtop was because I could not find a nice '65 or '66 with a 4-speed. My '67 was and is a TH400, but that worked for me over the earlier 2 speed auto cars. I've still got both cars, even though my first GTO was a '66 and I wanted a '66 ragtop. They made more '66's than any other year GTO, and many prefer the '67......I always liked the interior of the '66 better, and the fact it still had the tripower 389. The '67 has a nicer looking grille and looks more 'finished', but still, a nice '66 is hard to beat!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd estimate around $30K. If you want to email me at arayman@aol.com, I can give the reasoning behind my estimate..

Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought everybody knew 66's were the best GTO ?

Gibby your car looks good and is a great color.
i suppose the poverty caps are factory -
but that is one car that really needs Rally 1's to complete the picture.

Would have to give it a full-eyes-on inspection.
Price is all about clean-quality-correct and non-corrosion
Will say it won't bring 50k
30k would be a great day for you
22 - 24k seems right to me.

There are buyers for #' matching YS cars, but its usually not the top dollar guys.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd say 30K plus. It's a lot better than many of the 66 classics I've seen around here that aren't as nice and getting more in price than 30K. Just my Mid Atlantic . That includes my modified 66 GTO that I've been offered 35 and 40K for. Maybe I'm nuts, but I won't sell it. Even with a standing offer for 35K when I do want to sell.

I guess it all depends on where you live and how bad someone wants it. Gibby, start high and come down if you must. Remember, you can't go back up with the price afterwards.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:03 AM

Really appreciate the input on this. Gives me a clearer picture of where the true marketplace is.

Jim

Old 10-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

66 GTO Honest Evaluation???

OK, some of my observations are:

From your earlier posts you acquired the car in 2005 and the previous owner had “rebuilt” the engine at some previous time. With your car at 113K+miles on it, the engine may have considerable miles on it and needs “freshening”. Presumably, the engine was “rebuilt” as a de-tuned engine to accommodate “modern” low octane and ethanol mixed fuels. With the increased prevalence of ethanol since 2005, the entire fuel system of the car may need upgrading of fuel lines, pump, carb, etc.

The rotten splash guards in the under-the-hood picture are a detriment as well as being indicative that the bushings in the suspension parts are probably worn and dry rotted and needing replacement. Presumably, a buyer would do that work and probably would do springs, tie rod ends, etc. at the same time. The cost of doing that work is a deduct from a sale price.

Frankly, the underhood area looks poor to me, especially for a car that has had some painting and other freshening work done to it and is now being "offered for sale". Rusty alternator, rusty hazes on fender liners, fan guard, etc. Incorrect fuel line, battery cable, etc. are all drawbacks.

Likewise, the whole trunk area looks very "rusty" to me. "Keeping all of the door/trunk jam areas and trunk lid bottom original paint" suggests to me that areas like the door bottoms and others areas may have rust issues.

The car is a “cruiser car” car and those drivers tend to want amenities of power brakes, air conditioning, etc., which your car doesn’t have. If the car doesn’t have power steering it is a deduct.

The Collector Car Market Review condition guide and valuation listing for your car has the following information:

#3 Good: Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is. Valuation $27275

#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree. Valuation: $16450

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The Collector Car Market Review condition guide and valuation listing for your car has the following information:

#3 Good: Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is. Valuation $27275

#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree. Valuation: $16450

Good luck!
And that is just what it is. A "guide", not the bible and not etched in stone.

I used to hear it all the time, "the NADA book or the Kelly Blue Book says....". Well, call up the "books" and see if they will give you that much money.

"Market value" (aka cash exchanging hands) is the only true testament. Not what people are asking or what someone says they have seen them for.

Last edited by Chief of the 60's; 10-14-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 PM

So many of these cars are either rusted projects or high-end restorations that often don’t get driven much. It seems like there are far fewer cars in the middle. I like this one a lot.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put it this way... you'll get what someone who wants it really bad enough is willing pay for it.

My 66 GTO is modified and I've been offered over 30K for it. I've said no it's not for sale and they pushed even harder to buy it, and were willing to pay even more than what I finally said so they'd walk away from it. I still own it even tho they got pushier and offered more to buy it.... it's still not for sale.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Put it this way... you'll get what someone who wants it really bad enough is willing pay for it.

My 66 GTO is modified and I've been offered over 30K for it.
Do you have the money in your hand? No. Talk is cheap and people at car shows and cruise nights talk a lot. When there is cash placed in a person's hand, that is the time to say what it is worth. Until then it is just talk and talk is cheap. That is why I watch auction reports (not TV auctions) and the "GREEN" numbers on Ebay. That right there is cash in hand numbers.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:37 PM

As long as it's rust free, runs good and the interior is solid I'd say 19-20k. or many of the reasons posted. Though it's a #'s car it's not the most desirable. It's a 66 4bbl auto with little or no options.

It does look to be a "barn" car. Overall really solid car that sat for awhile, but not maintained or loved by a car guy. It's got good bones but will need a quite bit of time and work put into it to be made into a really presentable car. It doesn't appear to need that much money to bring it up a few notches just time and love. Brought up those few notches I would image it would be an easy 24-25k car

Old 10-25-2018, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, I place a value on the condition of the underside as well. This comment is not to be taken as a slight against the original poster, but too often I've seen pretty, nice looking bodies on roached out underpinnings. I have a perfect example at work right now, a beautifully redone 1980 Vette. The body, paint and interior are stunning. But the Michigan frame is so severely eaten up with rust that I won't do any mechanical repairs to it while it sits on that chassis.