THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

Default Check out the prices downunder

[URL]

Not sure if linkie workie, but for the collectors of cars , gas pumps , signs, pedel cars, betty boo ,elvis, rear clips , ronald mc, pinball, mannequins, push bikes, etc ,etc .
I am shocked a the cash that was parted, this auction was big news in the tv and press for months before last weekend.
Check out . burns and co auctions ,lost in the fiftys auction results.google is your friend.
I would be interested in hearing your comments,
An example a 66 gto 100k ,starcheif 85k, round table and 4 chairs 3500.,plane jane mustangs geting big dollers will make laugh.

John L.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed classics seem to sell for big money down there.

I wish I could get my hands on a Falcon XB or a Torana AX9, but the prices of them are in the stratosphere!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-23-2018, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the link: https://www.burnsandco.com.au/auctio...newcastle-nsw/

John, maybe you saw that the one of four XA GT Phase IV Falcons sold last weekend for 2 million dollars. It was factory original, never raced, 4600 original miles on it and was unmarked in any way.

Good value??? Initially you would think, "wow, that's a fortune". Which it is. But for investment purposes, I think money well spent. I'll bet that car will disappear for another 10-15 years and next time it goes to auction it will pull double that money.

If you have the spare cash and want to invest in something tangible, a rare and super collectable car is not a bad place to put it.

A little while back I drew attention to a local Shannons auction where they sold a beautiful 1983? Bentley for A$30,000. That car was $200,000 brand new. The very next lot was a 1983 Mazda RX2. New price was about $12,000. It sold for A$31,000. The Bentley will cost a fortune to maintain even if its rarely used and will take another 30 years before it might start climbing in value. Even then, it will be hard to find a buyer for it. On the other hand, the Mazda will continue to escalate in value and will always find a buyer.

So which was the better investment from new?? Not hard to see.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Google tells me that 1 Australian dollar = 71 cents, so the GTO and the Starcheif don’t seem too out of line if they’re very nice.

I was only familiar with the 70 and 71 RX2, so I had to look up an ‘83. We called that the Mazda 626 over here, and I’d think $3,000 was a ton of dough to pay for one here. Sounds like a great idea for an importing business!

Old 10-23-2018, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Google tells me that 1 Australian dollar = 71 cents, so the GTO and the Starcheif don’t seem too out of line if they’re very nice.

I was only familiar with the 70 and 71 RX2, so I had to look up an ‘83. We called that the Mazda 626 over here, and I’d think $3,000 was a ton of dough to pay for one here. Sounds like a great idea for an importing business!
Chris, after looking at your post, I thought I best look the actual details up. I should know better than to rely on my (ageing and weakening!!!) memory.

So the TRUE details on what I said are that the Bentley Brooklands was a '93 model which sold for A$36,000. The Mazda was a 1973 model (and it was Left Hand Drive), which sold for A$37,000.

My apologies for not setting out the full and correct details. Nonetheless, it still reinforces my comments that the Mazda is by far and away the better investment and I'm sure it will remain so.

The auction results on those cars (Lots 57 & 65) are found here: https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...assic-auction/

Ian