Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 PM

Default 1964 GTO Power Steering

Looking to buy all of the necessary parts to convert my 64 GTO that was originally no power steering to power steering. Car has no A/C. but thinking of adding Vintage Air, if pulleys are different. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pm sent your way

Old 10-16-2018, 07:16 PM

PM sent.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercar View Post
Looking to buy all of the necessary parts to convert my 64 GTO that was originally no power steering to power steering. Car has no A/C. but thinking of adding Vintage Air, if pulleys are different. Thanks.
If you are wanting to add Vintage air to a 64 block you will need to get the pulley for the power steering pump that is offset to line up with the alternator pulley.

Normally it is recommended to add a third pulley to the backside of the crankshaft but the original 64 crankshaft pulleys are too flat so the add on pulley hits the outer edge instead of the center hub.

If you want to run a seperate belt for the PS, alt and AC I would go with the 65 PS and alt setup and the 65 crankshaft pulleys. The crankshaft pulleys have a deeper hub which will allow the third pulley to mate against the hub of the crankshaft pulleys.

I am currently running the first scenario, which works but I do occasionally get a belt chirp when using the AC.

I plan on going to the second scenario. I have all the parts except the power steering bracket, which I can get a repro from a couple places.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Old 10-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info. Anybody have a 65 power steering and alternator setup for sale?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALFWAY View Post
If you are wanting to add Vintage air to a 64 block you will need to get the pulley for the power steering pump that is offset to line up with the alternator pulley.

Normally it is recommended to add a third pulley to the backside of the crankshaft but the original 64 crankshaft pulleys are too flat so the add on pulley hits the outer edge instead of the center hub.

If you want to run a seperate belt for the PS, alt and AC I would go with the 65 PS and alt setup and the 65 crankshaft pulleys. The crankshaft pulleys have a deeper hub which will allow the third pulley to mate against the hub of the crankshaft pulleys.

I am currently running the first scenario, which works but I do occasionally get a belt chirp when using the AC.

I plan on going to the second scenario. I have all the parts except the power steering bracket, which I can get a repro from a couple places.

Made the swap to a 3 belt setup vs the 2 belt setup.

Ran it a while with the AC running and no belt chirps when the compressor kicks in.

I will have to wait until it gets a little warmer this weekend to give it a true test.

So far so good.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALFWAY View Post
Made the swap to a 3 belt setup vs the 2 belt setup.

Ran it a while with the AC running and no belt chirps when the compressor kicks in.

I will have to wait until it gets a little warmer this weekend to give it a true test.

So far so good.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Almost had a catastrophic failure, pulled out of the garage and noticed a big puddle that ended up being power steering fluid.

The return line started leaking. It is one of the retro ones I think I purchased through Rock Auto, I have to check my receipts.

Anyway the pinch clamp did not hold. I was able to pinch it tighter with a horse hoof trimmer to at least keep it from leaking.

Since it is the return line I am going to get a 5/8" screw clamp to add to the pinch clamp.

If you have replaced this hose be sure to check the pinch clamp.