Old 10-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Value vs Restoration vs Backwards vs Does the owner care

In seeing the recent thread I didn't want to rob the enjoyment of, got me to pondering the title of this thread.

I noticed the $55,000 restoration cost estimate. I'm out of the loop on restoration shop costs as I do everything myself. do it yourself or a restoration shop, wonder if most drop the car off at a shop? do partially the work, then drop it off?

ultimately do most care about being backwards as the enjoyment of the car is most important? for me I prefer instant equity as to one reason I do my own. couldn't afford shop costs anyway. I enjoy the entire process of do-it-yourself. I love seeing cars saved and returned to circulation regardless of the restoration choice.

so you buy a car at the right price, the restoration done by a shop puts you a bit backwards. worth it? scared to drive it afterwards? all must be pondered!

Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
In seeing the recent thread I didn't want to rob the enjoyment of, got me to pondering the title of this thread.

I noticed the $55,000 restoration cost estimate. I'm out of the loop on restoration shop costs as I do everything myself. do it yourself or a restoration shop, wonder if most drop the car off at a shop? do partially the work, then drop it off?

ultimately do most care about being backwards as the enjoyment of the car is most important? for me I prefer instant equity as to one reason I do my own. couldn't afford shop costs anyway. I enjoy the entire process of do-it-yourself. I love seeing cars saved and returned to circulation regardless of the restoration choice.

so you buy a car at the right price, the restoration done by a shop puts you a bit backwards. worth it? scared to drive it afterwards? all must be pondered!
I haven't been backwards in any of the restos I've done so far. It helps greatly when you do most of everything yourself.

You're right about doing it yourself. There's a true enjoyment that comes with it, and once the car is completed, and you stand back and look at it, it becomes more than a car.

You make your money on the purchase, but you also make it on everything that you can do yourself. For me, it's absolutely worth it, and I drive the wheels off them!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

perfectly spoken! agree 100 percent. now, personally I don't see anywhere near $55,000 to restore said car doing it yourself. and it'll be worth way over that.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am not a check book guy, that said I love the hunt of parts and meeting all of the people along the way that is half the adventure. I do most every thing myself so I can only go so fast, My Son and Daughter help and my son is doing his own with me now. I never really get too giddy over auction prices, I build what I like and do it how I like, which for the most part is stock stuff. I have 2 that are a bit different from bone stock but I like them that way. I don't think I have ever worried about being upside down in a car because I do them for myself and by doing them myself I am usually not. I guess I just really like these cars, I treat each part of the resto as a separate project and each completion as a small victory.

71 GT-37:usa2
71 T/A WHT AUTO
71 T/A LB 4SPD
72 T/A WHT 4spd
74 SD T/A Admiralty Blue Auto
others that reside in the barn too
Old 10-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For me, I can't do the body work. So, what I do is take the car apart, do all the mechanical reconditioning and reassemble after body and paint is done. I agree that doing the work is part of the fun.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 10-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I really enjoy the body work so that becomes my get away from stress activity

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

71 GT-37:usa2
71 T/A WHT AUTO
71 T/A LB 4SPD
72 T/A WHT 4spd
74 SD T/A Admiralty Blue Auto
others that reside in the barn too
Old 10-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always think, if someone is buying a car and worried about having too much in it, they are in the hobby for the wrong reason. There are too many investments that are better and make more sense than a car.

The self satisfaction I get from working on them is as good as driving them, perhaps even better.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No better feeling for me when someone say's "Wow your car looks awesome" and you did it yourself . Money can't buy that.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure it can!Tom

Old 10-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They also say...you must have a large garage with lots of tools.

I will say it's rewarding yet there are limits as...which bolt goes where. Course vs fine. Plating and welding not easy stuff..

Body and paint, AC, headliners, trim, exhaust, tires, alignment better left to experts

Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't been backwards on any of mine but usually just broke even. I enjoy these cars so much I could care less if I did get backwards on one. does take a lot of tools but hey, its fun accumulating tools. the whole process is downright relaxing to me.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Senior Chief

The majority of people lack the space, time, ability, tools, equipment, and skill to completely disassemble a car, rebuild the engine and transmission, and do paint and body work.

The people that can are in the minority.

Plus with some of those things there is an art to it. I have done a new wiring harness, rebuilt carbs, new distrib, welded in strut braces, rebuilt front ends, and a couple of driveway paint jobs, new alt or starters, replace radiator, gas tank, etc. Basically enough to make some cars run. But nowhere able to restore a car.

The reality is,
With my 69 plain Jane GTO that has been built into a RA, manual trans, Judge clone, the little body work it needs and the new paint it is due for-
Kind of would put it over its value.

My 74 RR and 71 Javelin as well. I can’t replace the engine and get a real paint job and restore the interior on the RR without being way more into than it would sell for.
And the Javelin as well.

I am not a flipper or in it as a business, but many of us are reluctant to drop 20k or more into a car what would sell for less than that.

The sales ads are full of run of the mill Camaros, Chevelles, etc. with 30k of work into a car they could realistically sell for 20k.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"