THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I first saw SATB as a kid, I thought Burt was so cool. Very "macho" and someone that seemed larger than life. I know it was his character but also believe that some of Burt's genuine personality came through.

Days like these remind me how much older I am and that time does not stop. Sad to see him go.

RIP Burt

1970 Oshawa built 1 option Judge. 24 year restoration/upgrade project finally finished!

1979 Trans Am - low-buck drag car project for when I retire
Old 09-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP Burt, thanks for the memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anvz-AES2cY

Old 09-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RIP bandit. You were larger than life to a lot of kids way back then.

[Communicating through the C.B. radio]
Bandit: Sheriff, uh, Buford T. Justice, please.
Buford T. Justice: Who there?
Bandit: This is Bandit Darville talkin'.
Buford T. Justice: Where are you, you sombitch?
Bandit: Before I tell you where I am, Sheriff, there's just one thing I wanna say. You must be part coon dog, 'cause I've been chased by the best of them, and son, you make 'em look like they're all runnin' in slow motion. I just wanna say that.
Buford T. Justice: Well, thank you, Mr. Bandit. And as the pursuer, may I say you're the goddamnedest pursuee I've ever pursued. Now that the mutual bull**** is over, WHERE ARE YOU, YOU SOMBITCH?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad to see Old Bandit depart! I was in the Air Force from 76 to 80 and was stationed at Moody AFB in Valdosta. My roommate, Al Jones, bought this car new off the lot and we drove it to see SATB at the theater. There was quite a crowd around it after the movie ended. Had a lot of fun in that car! That’s me on the motorcycle. Man those were some good years. RIP Bandit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennybill View Post
Ahhh,*just learned this bad news from this thread. Being 68, Gunsmoke was my favorite show growing up and "Quint Asper" was liked by everyone. He was an under rated actor. He made*it look to easy so he didn't get the credit he should*have. He's one of the few actors that I liked, then seen*the real him on the talk shows and I still liked after. He had a great life! RIP, Burt Reynolds.
Same here Kenny. Playing Quint in Gunsmoke was his first on TV. I liked him then and right on up to the end. I especially like the Gunsmoke reruns with Burt in them, but they're shown the least of all of them. The rest, no so much.

But then again a lot of actors and actresses got their start on Gunsmoke.... but that wasn't a bad thing. For most the bad thing is I can't remember their names.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw SATB in the theater when it first came out. I drove a 70 GTO at the time. R.I.P Mr. Bandit.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RIP.

Had to watch SATB tonight in tribute. Saw it when it was released and it still brings a laugh 40 years later.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 AM
Senior Chief

Headline news downunder today. RIP Bert

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Old 09-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad news for sure. RIP Bandit.

I think he got away with a few "charges"
Back in the day. Bo displayed a "Total lack of respect of the Law"and
That "maniac who was never apprehended or convicted for a "700mile high speed pursuit....mann act...,kid napping....and attempted murder of over 20 brother officers! And making a fool of a DISTINGUISHED officer of over 30years seniority and one of the MOST highly respected law enforcement agents of THESE UNITED STATES of AMERICA!"
But in the end showed his persona and respect of the the damnedest pursuer and even took the time to discuss a Diablo burger with Buford....

I'm sure Burt and Jerry are cutting up and having a time once again....

Family vacations in the early 80's usually consisted of quoting all the smokey and the bandit movies while we were in the car and to this day none of it has ever gotten old. Burt will truly be missed.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a Officer in the state of Kansas. He said their department had a "unofficial moment of radio silence" for Burt yesterday.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.82@159.91 in Joliet May 2024 ….157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP. Liked him in his movies. Watched old Perry Mason he was in,plus Gunsmoke,latest was Burn Notice. Liked him esp in Smokey,his laugh!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He was a smooth man. Its coming for us all. Enjoy every day to the fullest.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone who hasn't read his Autobiography that he wrote back in the
mid nineties needs to get a copy and read it. It's one of the most entertaining
books I've ever read, chock full of funny anecdotes. My favorite story he told in
the book took place in about 1959. He and Clint Eastwood were called into the
office of the Studio they were working for at the time and were told that both
of their contracts were being cancelled. Burt asked the studio chief how come,
and he told Burt that he was a lousy actor, and told Clint Eastwood that his adam's apple was way too big. Dejected, they both walked out of the office and were walking down the sidewalk when Burt turned to Clint and said "Clint, you're really in big trouble! Clint said "you mean the both of us!" Burt goes "No, I can always take acting lessons, but you're never going to be able to get rid of that adam's apple!"

Old 09-07-2018, 12:19 PM

R.I. P Burt, he will be missed. He has been with Sally Field and Loni Anderson, two of my adolescent crushes, I had to live vicariously through him. I can't believe no one has mentioned "Hooper", "The End" and "Cannonball Run".

Old 09-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Senior Chief

I did quote Smokey and the Bandit back in 2001 when I got laid off and walked in the front door of the house to tell my then-pregnant wife: "Honey, a legend and an outta work bum look a lot alike..."

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/st 54 View Post
Sad news for sure. RIP Bandit.

I think he got away with a few "charges"
Back in the day. Bo displayed a "Total lack of respect of the Law"and
That "maniac who was never apprehended or convicted for a "700mile high speed pursuit....mann act...,kid napping....and attempted murder of over 20 brother officers! And making a fool of a DISTINGUISHED officer of over 30years seniority and one of the MOST highly respected law enforcement agents of THESE UNITED STATES of AMERICA!"
But in the end showed his persona and respect of the the damnedest pursuer and even took the time to discuss a Diablo burger with Buford....

I'm sure Burt and Jerry are cutting up and having a time once again....

Family vacations in the early 80's usually consisted of quoting all the smokey and the bandit movies while we were in the car and to this day none of it has ever gotten old. Burt will truly be missed.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a Officer in the state of Kansas. He said their department had a "unofficial moment of radio silence" for Burt yesterday.
Great post. As someone who wasn't even a twinkle in someones eye when the movie came out, I quote the movie way too often. And I read that quote in ole Justice's voice to T, chuckled at the "mann act" part. Another favorite part of which I found no good clips on YouTube, is the part where he and Junior are driving and talking about Frog. "She insulted my athahdee!"

RIP Mr. Reynolds..

Old 09-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Senior Chief

Just a few weeks ago I watched "The Last Movie Star". Kind of a semi-autobiographical story about Burt. He didn't look too good throughout the movie, but it was probably his best acting job. Rent it, but be warned, it's pretty sad. Especially now.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Longest Yard.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Burt!

LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41183010_10212203928482033_2167414641305583616_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	492373  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you get CMT on your TV, they are now showing a documentary called "The Bandit" from 2016. 8-10 eastern time zone.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I saw SATB in the theater when it first came out. I drove a 70 GTO at the time. R.I.P Mr. Bandit.
I saw it at the old Chippewa drive in, back when it came out. Sitting on the hood of a 72 Cutlass.